Terrace Cafe

Classiccruiser777

51 minutes ago, clo said:

No. It's the people showing up armed to terrorize not protest.

You are getting your states confused because that did not happen in Wisconsin.  Please do some research before you make derogatory and false remarks.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

You are getting your states confused because that did not happen in Wisconsin.  Please do some research before you make derogatory and false remarks.  Thank you.  

My truly sincere apology. You're right. As I've said, I suck at geography and that really showed it. I'm sorry. But then I looked and I guess Wisconsin is having some issues also. This from a Reuters article:

"

About a third of the protesters wore face masks, including a group of men brandishing assault rifles.

Tough times we're living in.  PS: I really am embarrassed. If it helps you, I've said it to other also 😞

20 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Been to 49 States, but not N. Dakota. Planning an Amtrak trip in 2021 from Chicago to Seattle right through the heart and breath of ND to Seattle. Will have to deboard somewhere just to put my feet on the ground there. Think we’ll do a sleeper car and a bunch of wine!

I have zero desire to drive to get there! 😂

Pinot, Good for you!  I've done three cross country trips - two on the southern route and one on the northern - on Amtrak and loved the train.  A note of caution:  Those sleepers are very small, though comfortable.  If you are not getting a family sleeper, I'd suggest getting two of the smaller ones with the upper and lower if you are 'up there' in years.  That's what we did on our last one two years ago, since neither of us wanted to climb into the top bunk.  Much more civilized.

A note on food which is included in the sleeper fare: our first one in 2002 had very good food whereas the last two it was mediocre.  However the scenery made it all worthwhile!

16 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Pinot, Good for you!  I've done three cross country trips - two on the southern route and one on the northern - on Amtrak and loved the train.  A note of caution:  Those sleepers are very small, though comfortable.  If you are not getting a family sleeper, I'd suggest getting two of the smaller ones with the upper and lower if you are 'up there' in years.  That's what we did on our last one two years ago, since neither of us wanted to climb into the top bunk.  Much more civilized.

A note on food which is included in the sleeper fare: our first one in 2002 had very good food whereas the last two it was mediocre.  However the scenery made it all worthwhile!

We (two Brits) Travelled on Empire Builder Chicago to Seattle a couple of years back (after a few nights in Chicago)to meet Regatta in Seattle for our Alaska cruise.  It was a great experience , try to get the best sleeper that you can afford. The space between the upper bunk and the roof was so narrow that we slept top to toe the second night! 

Take ear plugs too a the train blows its hooter every time it comes to a level crossing right through the night. The observation car is a great place to meet people and exchange travel tales.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, susiesan said:

Speak for yourself RJB. I am a senior and I currently have 2 cruises booked for 2021. I am also not too concerned about being on the plane. I don't need anyone telling me what is or isn't good for me, I can analyze the risks/benefits of an activity as it pertains to my health and make the choice that is right for me. Just because someone has reached some magical age number doesn't mean they can't think for themselves anymore. This is one active healthy senior who can't wait to get on a cruise ship again, next one will be Wind Spirit I hope, in January. And then Marina in August 2021.

Good luck and stay safe and don't get caught up on a ship where one person gets sick and everyone gets locked down for 14 days or more.  This is just different from the regular flu. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, clo said:

What's a "roomette"?

They are the smallest sleeping accommodations on the trains - approx. 4' x 6'.  They're equipped with two facing  semi-reclining chairs, which at night convert into the lower bunk with a pullman drop-down for the upper berth.  Quite comfortable for two except at night when one has to climb into the upper berth.

As I had mentioned we've done three Amtrak trips across country.  The first two, we took turns in the upper for the whole trip - myself in the upper on the first trip, my sister there on the second.  That was enough especially as we are not getting any younger, thus the decision to take two separate roomettes on the third trip.  Worked out very well and for not much additional money!

Donna

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ORV said:

With a roomette you don't get a private bathroom. You have to decide if that is important to you. 

Time to get back on topic!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:28 PM, jeanine said:

We are going on a road trip this summer thru Northern California family near San Francisco then continue down the coast. If California has moved into phase 3. In September 3 weeks in Hawaii! If the quarantine for arrivals is lifted!

I am with you....Leaving   for a Road trip ...out of Calif......UT-Wyo-So Dakota- Montana  not worried in the least.and eating out every day ( finaly).. Gas has not been this cheap in 17 years they are saying  $2.15 for prem !!!      

Far worse staying at home wringing your hands listening all day long to the medical pundits, non of whom agree, getting PTS/ Panic from all the overload. 

Live life dont be afraid of your own shadow.......People are  in a panic mode and not thinking rationally...making this  current virus problem  overwhelming.    It is not..unless you make it

Just booked 2 cruises to europe yesterday too....   Agent said O cabins were going  fast....

Napa Valley  restaurants first in California to open indoor dining! We are spending a week in July in the valley, wineries here we come! Going on cruise of Asia next year! With Oceania

On 5/16/2020 at 4:49 PM, pinotlover said:

Been to 49 States, but not N. Dakota. Planning an Amtrak trip in 2021 from Chicago to Seattle right through the heart and breath of ND to Seattle. Will have to deboard somewhere just to put my feet on the ground there. Think we’ll do a sleeper car and a bunch of wine!

I have zero desire to drive to get there! 😂

Took and the train...sleeperetts...New )Orleans--Chicago-LA    great and LA to Seattle rt to catch a cruise and back  loads of fun to take to a cruise  rather than fly.... a rail cruise !

Most important... getting out now and supporting local merchants, business, restaurants..... our overall health depends on our economy... we need that and it needs us..................GO.

Edited by Hawaiidan

On 5/22/2020 at 1:31 PM, Hawaiidan said:

I am with you....Leaving   for a Road trip ...out of Calif......UT-Wyo-So Dakota- Montana  not worried in the least.and eating out every day ( finaly).. Gas has not been this cheap in 17 years they are saying  $2.15 for prem !!!      

Far worse staying at home wringing your hands listening all day long to the medical pundits, non of whom agree, getting PTS/ Panic from all the overload. 

Live life dont be afraid of your own shadow.......People are  in a panic mode and not thinking rationally...making this  current virus problem  overwhelming.    It is not..unless you make it

Just booked 2 cruises to europe yesterday too....   Agent said O cabins were going  fast....

When did you start to believe what the agents say?  Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.   Good luck and travel safely.  

50 minutes ago, RJB said:

When did you start to believe what the agents say?  Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.   Good luck and travel safely.  

Well about 10 years ago after I had the same agent for 20 years.    Just for grins  I called O and asked for what cabins they had in my class and sailing....  they guy said only 3 currently  and their locations were the bottom of the heap.    At some point in life you need to trust others that they are not out to screw you...  otherwise it a dark path down the road of cynicism.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, Hawaiidan said:

UT-Wyo-So Dakota- Montana  not worried in the least.and eating out every day

Are the restaurants in all those states now open for inside dining? Reno is reopening but some are still doing take-out only. We've been supporting ours that way for over a month now. With large tips for staff also.

1 hour ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Is it possible to change the title of this thread?

There are plenty of threads that I stop reading. But there are plenty of ones that go OT where I learn a lot. Go figure 🙂

10 hours ago, Mura said:

I think you would have to start a new one ...

And what  would you call it?  This thread is so all over the place it would take 3 or 4 to replace it.  Like a grab bag, never know what you are going to find when you open it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJB said:

And what  would you call it?  This thread is so all over the place it would take 3 or 4 to replace it.  Like a grab bag, never know what you are going to find when you open it. 

How about "Grab Bag?"  🤤

On 5/22/2020 at 12:31 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Saw a story on the news where Nat Parks are so packed they're turning people away. Especially in UT. I went to Zion & Bryce earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Just to make the OT even more OT....

Jancruz was right when she said on a different thread many people don't understand the pent up demand for cruises...

20 hours ago, clo said:

Are the restaurants in all those states now open for inside dining? Reno is reopening but some are still doing take-out only. We've been supporting ours that way for over a month now. With large tips for staff also.

You bet   Moab-Vernal-Jackson hole- Rapid city  for starters   Calif just opened Orange Co and Ventura..S  and Riverside opening too

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Just to make the OT even more OT....

Jancruz was right when she said on a different thread many people don't understand the pent up demand for cruises...

Over Time?      What does that mean in context ?