Terrace Cafe

Classiccruiser777

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Please no negative responses as this is one of those horribly embarrassing things to admit but good to relieve myself of. I can't bear to look at lobsters as they look like huge insects. A a matter of fact they ARE closely related to insects- mosquitos, grasshoppers and lobsters are in phylum arthopoda.

My fear of looking at them or even their shells must be some strange neuro wiring or maybe a form of psychosis. 🙃

1.  I bet you already regret that confession on this board!

2.  Your confession immediately brought the lobster scene from the movie “Annie Hall” to mind.  Are you related perhaps to Diane Keeton? 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Same about crabs too and shellfish as well. Also don't like the way either are killed.

What about mammals? Ever seen a pig gestation crate? I think it's important that people know where their food comes from.

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

1.  I bet you already regret that confession on this board! 😉

Yea Pam. I sincerely do. ❤️And so much for requesting no negative responses. Thanks for the sweet reply.

1 hour ago, clo said:

What about mammals? Ever seen a pig gestation crate? I think it's important that people know where their food comes from.

Yes, that's why I'm a vegetarian.

I asked for it. I thought that since it was a difficult to confess the admission might earn some respect. Thanks to all who let it be.

Edited by Petoonya

4 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Yes, that's why I'm a vegetarian.

Oh, you only mentioned shell fish. So are you a vegetarian for animal cruelty issues or health?

Petoonya  your reasons for being a vegetarian are irrelevant  to anyone else,  that is your choice and we need  to respect that. Personally I will try just about anything that people eat in any part of the world. For me that is part of the travel experience. To each their own.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jackdeb said:

Personally I will try just about anything that people eat in any part of the world. For me that is part of the travel experience.

Ditto. Rat in Thailand, a few bugs, almost every part of every animal (which actually is environmentally good). For vegetables, how about these?

https://foodfornet.com/36-weird-vegetables-youve-never-seen-before/

Experiencing different foods and tastes has always fascinated  me, starting from the calla Lilly that almost did me in. The little yellow things in the middle clung to my throat! Sweetbreads, Rocky Mountain oysters dipped in ranch dressing in Arizona very crunchy, Horsemeat in Venice!  My next cruise is next year visiting Asia, what new food adventures await?

To steer the conversation slightly back on course..

Possibly about to push the button on May 21 Southampton - Southampton cruise with my mobility impaired mum (to assuage her pent up need for a cruise) on Sirena. She will be using a mobility scooter...how would it work with her using the Terrace? Is there space for a scooter around the buffet, or will it be part of my filial duties ... maybe a member of staff would help her?

Experiences of using the Terrace on a scooter please :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bandgbasset said:

I splurged and bought myself a live lobster here in Reno just the other day. I steamed him and drenched in butter and lemon.  Best meal of the year so far :).  Grew up with lobsters on the east coast.

We always look forward to the lobster and filet sandwich in waves.  It’s our first meal of the cruise every time.

Double lobster and hold the filet in Waves.   So good !!

3 hours ago, ToxM said:

To steer the conversation slightly back on course..

Possibly about to push the button on May 21 Southampton - Southampton cruise with my mobility impaired mum (to assuage her pent up need for a cruise) on Sirena. She will be using a mobility scooter...how would it work with her using the Terrace? Is there space for a scooter around the buffet, or will it be part of my filial duties ... maybe a member of staff would help her?

Experiences of using the Terrace on a scooter please 🙂

To answer the scooter question. Typically, yes. However, during times such as Peak breakfast hours, she may find it too crowded to easily manage. She may need assistance then. I might recommend on busy port days, she consider the GDR which serves lovely breakfasts.

When we eat in the Terrace for lunch or dinner, we always wait until at least 30 minutes after opening to give those needing the time or assistance to get seated and served first.  I don’t believe those meals create a problem. 

All of this is based purely on past experiences that may be moot in the future. We have no current idea of future requirements, if any, on physical distancing and new crowd capacity . If the lines are required to cut dining capacity to 50% and implement reservations dining in the Terrace, all past history is worthless.

4 hours ago, ToxM said:

She will be using a mobility scooter...how would it work with her using the Terrace? Is there space for a scooter around the buffet, or will it be part of my filial duties ... maybe a member of staff would help her?

Experiences of using the Terrace on a scooter please :)

The  Terrace  is not self serve so the staff  will plate whatever she  wants   & usually  wait staff member will assist in carrying her plate to the table

Secure a table first ;)

There is  enough space between the counters to get a scooter  by

Waves also have  light breakfast if the weather is good

You might check on Youtube for some videos of the ship

On Sirena  they have 2  H/C outside cabins  on Deck 4  it might be worth trying for one of those  unless you are going to  a PH +   for the space

The regular cabins  you will not be able to get a scooter  inside the cabin

Enjoy

• Like 1

The  Terrace  is not self serve so the staff  will plate whatever she  wants   & usually  wait staff member will assist in carrying her plate to the table
Secure a table first ;)
There is  enough space between the counters to get a scooter  by
Waves also have  light breakfast if the weather is good
You might check on Youtube for some videos of the ship

On Sirena  they have 2  H/C outside cabins  on Deck 4  it might be worth trying for one of those  unless you are going to  a PH +   for the space
The regular cabins  you will not be able to get a scooter  inside the cabin

Enjoy

Just snagged an inside accessible on deck 4. Seen the same cabin on Insignia, so thinking it will be the same which looks plenty big enough. Loved my time on Marina so know what joy awaits us in The Terrace on Sirena (hot buns!). She will appreciate the help with her plate from staff and as long as she has space to navigate along the counters thats good.

As previously noted, who knows what will change before then with regards to buffets, but we wont be getting off the ship due to her mobility issues so can be flexible with eating times. I will definitely suggest the GDR as we very much enjoyed out breakfasts in there whilst on Marina.

The chance to sail with her from Southampton and back which is 70 minutes from us was too much of a chance to pass up at the price point it is on offer at the moment - significantly cheaper than their normal ex Soton prices I have seen.

Thanks all :)

2 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Just snagged an inside accessible on deck 4. Seen the same cabin on Insignia, so thinking it will be the same which looks plenty big enough. Loved my time on Marina so know what joy awaits us in The Terrace on Sirena (hot buns!). She will appreciate the help with her plate from staff and as long as she has space to navigate along the counters thats good.

Enjoy

Looks like a good itinerary

She could  probably get off in some ports   they usually  take the scooter people off the crew  exit

3 minutes ago, ToxM said:

The chance to sail with her from Southampton and back which is 70 minutes from us was too much of a chance to pass up at the price point it is on offer at the moment - significantly cheaper than their normal ex Soton prices I have seen.

Hope it all works out well for you.

Don't forget that Sirena is the only one that has Red Ginger as well as Tuscan steak.

Hope it all works out well for you.
Don't forget that Sirena is the only one that has Red Ginger as well as Tuscan steak.

Ohh good point, will have to get those menus to her. Thank you :)

13 hours ago, clo said:

What year was that?

2019....October...   In traveling the whole of Maine  checking out all the lobster shacks, pounds and so on eating Lobster 2 meals a day..Chowder, Stew, Rolls, Steamed, Fried, Boiled......  the Port Hole was the best......astounding good price and lobster

france maine, ak 2017 718.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 683.JPG

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

lobster

A few years ago we did a house exchange and spent a week on Cape Cod. We had some kind of seafood every day, sometimes twice a day. At the end of that we returned to our friend's place in Manhattan, bringing lobster and the required split top buns. We went out on their lobster boat on Long Island Sound for fireworks for 4th of July. Life is good.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Double lobster and hold the filet in Waves.   So good !!

I believe it was Mura , who posted the correct way to order at Waves: "Surf and Turf, double surf, no turf, no bun"😀

5 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

I believe it was Mura , who posted the correct way to order at Waves: "Surf and Turf, double surf, no turf, no bun"😀

You got it   There is a place in Maine that does lobster tail tempura on a stick.....   Move over corn dogs...     Seriously after a 10 day , lobster 20 times  you crave something different.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

2019....October...   In traveling the whole of Maine  checking out all the lobster shacks, pounds and so on eating Lobster 2 meals a day..Chowder, Stew, Rolls, Steamed, Fried, Boiled......  the Port Hole was the best......astounding good price and lobster

We did something similar on a Canada/New England cruise a few years ago. We had some version of a lobster lunch, ranging from a full boil to lobster rolls to lobster mac and cheese in every port...Halifax, St. John, Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston and Newport.

It was worth every penny of what we spent for lunch.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

lobster mac and cheese

Marina's Polo Grill lobster mac n cheese was insanely good. I swear there was more lobster than mac.

lobster mac cheese.jpg

3 minutes ago, clo said:

Marina's Polo Grill lobster mac n cheese was insanely good. I swear there was more lobster than mac.

lobster mac cheese.jpg

Got violently ill on that dish one cruise and never will touch it again. It was good though. 

15 hours ago, clo said:

Did you order it from "Back East"? We're in Reno also. I've not seen them live here.

Sierra gold seafood on Greg street in sparks has live lobsters.  I got a 1 1/2 lb.  they were $12.50 a pound which I didn’t think was bad.  Also got some king crab.  Boy that lobster was good lol.

20 minutes ago, clo said:

I tried it on my first Oceania cruise on Insignia, and it was inedible...as was pretty much everything else we had in Polo on that cruise, from steaks to steamed lobster. On the other hand the food in Polo on Marina was much better ( I didn't try the man and cheese there though), which just goes to show how important the chef is. Bad preparation can wreck even the best ingredients.

• Like 1