From Mr Bayley - NO buffet

I think buffets will be much better with crew members serving the food.  On my last cruise in March, everyone had to wash their hands before entering the buffet.  That was good.  However, once people are inside they will still touch their faces, use their phones (which probably have not been sanitized), and put their hands on their clothing. There is no way their hands will remain clean for any length of time.
 I washed my hands before entering the buffet and then again after I put the food on my plate.  Thankfully, there was a sink in the buffet area. It would be so much better if the crew members served the food.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 3:12 AM, SNJCruisers said:

I hope you are comparing what you have seen at your local Golden Corral is doing regarding spacing comparing it to what you have seen on cruise buffets previously.  This would be comparing an apple to an orange.  You can't compare what your local GC is doing to what cruises will be doing in the future since no one knows exactly what we will see.

And I certainly can't infer that you think the food quality at GC is "better than any one on a ship."  This would be the epitome of ludicrous.

I agree with GC being way better than typicsl Jammer fare. The one exception is the shios that do fresh stir fry and pasta.  GC food is way fresher, and more to my liking. And their yeast rolls are to die for.

This is my opinion, but is base on my extensive first hand experience.  Extensive.

Edited by John&LaLa

On 6/7/2020 at 2:18 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

What the cruise industry did in the past has no significance of what they might do in the future when they start cruises again. I do not know about your local Golden Corral but the food at ours is excellent and it is that way every time. Before this one opened we went a few time tot he other one further away. No where nears as good of food. As you say. You cannot compare apples with oranges. Same as buffets on different ships, even owned by the same cruise line. They are not the same on every ship. Some are excellent others are terrible. I would think they will change the seating. maybe not. We will see, won't we. To start, Royal is saying, "At first no buffets" Question, how will they handle all the people in the MDR or specialty restaurants in the same time frame? Will they separate the tables in those? If yes. Major problem feeding everyone. As it is now, the tables and seating in most cases are not on top of one another. 

Putting in one way lines with stanchions at the Jammer would be a godsend

Edited by John&LaLa

On 6/7/2020 at 4:02 PM, SNJCruisers said:

...but lunch and dinner was delicious as you say only if you enjoy reheated food from plastic bags or cans.

Publix has a Gouda mac n cheese in their deli that comes from a plastic bag and is better than the mac n cheese at Chops. That's a fact.😇

Edited by John&LaLa

On 6/7/2020 at 4:04 PM, LXA350 said:

Windjammer is that much better or Golden Corral is that much worse? I just looked at a few pictures and felt sick already 😄

But you are fine with the Jammer 🤔

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I agree with GC being way better than typicsl Jammer fare. The one exception is the shios that do fresh stir fry and pasta.  GC food is way fresher, and more to my liking. And their yeast rolls are to die for.

This is my opinion, but is base on my extensive first hand experience.  Extensive.

GC must have some independent locations in FLA that serve much better food than the corporate locations that I ate at many years ago in NJ.  I say years ago because they have since closed because of the swill that they served for lunch and dinner.  I would eat at any of the buffets of the mainstream lines  I have cruised on if given a choice versus GC.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Publix has a Gouda mac n cheese in their deli that comes from a plastic bag and is better than the mac n cheese at Chops. That's a fact.😇

I'll make sure to put Cocoa Beach at the top of the list of my retirement choices so I can savor the gourmet food at Publix as well as the local Golden Corral's.

We've been on ships with neurovirus where we were served from the buffet.  And the 24 hr ice cream machine was served by a staff member 24 hrs!! So perhaps the 24 hr coffee & flavored waters areas will be the same way. All that will be probably be the norm on upcoming cruises.

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

But you are fine with the Jammer 🤔

With curries, or other Asian dishes yes other things no. I did like the honey stung chicken filets they had years back on boarding day with some mashed potatoes.

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'll make sure to put Cocoa Beach at the top of the list of my retirement choices so I can savor the gourmet food at Publix as well as the local Golden Corral's.

No Golden Corrals around here. I remember that was a big dissapointment to my good friend Thor. 

We do have other nice things. Enjoy

20200613_104834.thumb.jpg.39d263804f207f47563027eacf359210.jpg

Screenshot_20200614-063014_Facebook.thumb.jpg.dd816ce8be507ceb814abba6e0a9fca7.jpg

IMG_20190920_163846_046.thumb.jpg.2eab1ef8679e7657a23b1ccf54a44fd4.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

With curries, or other Asian dishes yes other things no. I did like the honey stung chicken filets they had years back on boarding day with some mashed potatoes.

Nice to have choices. Personally I find the curries disgusting to look at. 

Honey stung long gone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Nice to have choices. Personally I find the curries disgusting to look at. 

Honey stung long gone

24 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

The aroma of the curries is also disgusting...and it lingers for a long time.

Some of the curries are strong, some less. Everyone has different preferences, just the way I find the Burger patties disgusting. If already Burger then from real meat, the ones served in the MDR are already a bit closer to that. I wish they would have the honey stung back, haven't seen it since 5 or 6 years.

• Like 1