From Mr Bayley - NO buffet

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

I will beat that drum again. No cruises are happening until either July 24th or the CDC shortens the " no sail order". 

It's not in the CEO's hands, whether right or wrong the CDC holds the trump card.  

Not for cruises from other countries.

11 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Then you'll have to starve come lunchtime on port days on most mass market lines since they do not have  sit down service.  But of course there are luxury lines that will gladly fulfill your wishes.

At least on port days it's less of a crowd as most are in port.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I wonder what the wait times will become to have an order delivered if people become scared of the Windjammer.

They may have to set up reservations for room service in the planner.

29 minutes ago, Hoppy2cruise said:

Set dining times for the WJ, similar to Early and Late Traditional dining times in MDR?

One of the great aspects of the Windjammer is spontaneity. You can eat when you are hungry and it is easy to work around entertainment and other activities you happen to be involved with. A schedule of when you are going to eat is something that many people who chose the are trying to avoid. 

• Like 13

It may be like calling ahead and putting in your name at the hair salon. Not a guaranteed reservation but it bumps you to the front of the line. Everyone else will be in a standby queue as happens when the WJ is full.

Maybe cruises will have to go back to “old time dining” with most meals in the dining rooms. There could be a staff serviced hot dog/hamburger/pizza station at the pools.  My thoughts — we will all be so glad to get back to cruising that whatever Royal comes up with will be accepted.  I am not a big Windjammer person so would not be a big loss for me.  Unintended benefit — less noro??  Katherine

• Like 1

I'm imagining they might consider a system similar to what Disney parks are using called "mobile order". Basically, you'd go on the ship app, make selections from what you want from the buffet, and once you are alerted they are ready for pick up you go to a designated place to pick up your plate(s) and go find a seat. This allows for spontaneity, maintains the broad selection of choices from the buffet, and keeps people socially distant. 

And yeah - if they want to encourage distancing, room service is a great way to do this. So let's hope they drop the delivery fee.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

One of the great aspects of the Windjammer is spontaneity. You can eat when you are hungry and it is easy to work around entertainment and other activities you happen to be involved with. A schedule of when you are going to eat is something that many people who chose the are trying to avoid. 

I understand and agree, but we know there will be changes once cruising begins again.  Having a set time for Windjammer could be a solution for crowd control.  

Princess has been talking behind the scenes about what to do with their buffets too.  The Sr. VP mentioned to-go boxes may be the new norm.  I wouldn't be surprised if everything was plated up and you picked the plate you wanted.  It'd mean a lot more plates to wash but it'd be safer than self-service. 

I like the Disney way of ordering what you want on your phone and picking it up when ready.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

I find the experience of eating at Windjammer restaurants  and other buffets somewhat disgusting and only eat there reluctantly if there is absolutely no other choice.

People pile their plates sky high and waste half of the food.  They drop food all over the place and make a mess.

Children run wild touching and grabbing different things, and many adults do the same, using fingers instead of tongs.  Droplets are probably constantly falling onto food from sneezing, coughing, yelling, and just talking.

Eating becomes a competition and a race instead of an experience to enjoy.

I have always been taken a back by buffet monsters that must not realize they can return as often as they want.  Lots will change and I hope the waste can be a big part of it.  Serving should be the short and maybe long term solution.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 2:31 PM, CruisingNole said:

"It will be something more akin to a restaurant."

At least he acknowledges it is essentially a trough in its current form. 

That’s a really rude statement. There are a lot more choices than those over priced specialty restaurants. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

im gonna wait  a couple of years until they sort out their issues . I couldn't be bothered cruising soon after they lift restrictions .

Too much hassle for me , maybe not so much for others , so enjoy your cruise .

Rumor in my area is when restaurants re-open they will only be allowed 50% or less occupancy and to expect a lot will require reservations to manage over-crowding. 

I suspect this will be done for all restaurants on a cruise ship.   It really is the only way to prevent everyone arriving at same time and standing in long lines and cramming up the hallways.   No idea how they would the day of disembarkment when WJ is packed.   Probably have to do room service that morning as well as have all other restaurants open with reservations for breakfast.    

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Rumor in my area is when restaurants re-open they will only be allowed 50% or less occupancy and to expect a lot will require reservations to manage over-crowding. 

I suspect this will be done for all restaurants on a cruise ship.   It really is the only way to prevent everyone arriving at same time and standing in long lines and cramming up the hallways.   No idea how they would the day of disembarkment when WJ is packed.   Probably have to do room service that morning as well as have all other restaurants open with reservations for breakfast.    

Embarkation would also be an issue. That's the worst day for WJ in terms of overcrowding.

4 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

My thoughts — we will all be so glad to get back to cruising that whatever Royal comes up with will be accepted.  

Hardly will I accept whatever RCI comes up with. They either provide a product that I will enjoy or my money stays in my bank account.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Embarkation would also be an issue. That's the worst day for WJ in terms of overcrowding.

Late boarding after lunchtime will resolve those issues. The new Virgin Voyages has late boarding times from 2-5pm, sailaway at 7pm. This will also allow more time on disembarkation day to spread people out and then allow employees time for through cleansing of the whole ship. IMO this is a win-win for everyone involved. For naysayers a brand new cruiseline is going to do this, so I can't imagine why the other mainstream lines wouldn't take this approach. It would solve a multitude of issues. 

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have been in plenty of specialty restaurants onboard and they have NEVER been close to 50% capacity when DH and I were there for dinner.

On 5/13/2020 at 3:54 PM, irzero said:

I just cant see this working this year.

Next year there will be far more testing and maybe even vaccines or treatments.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

It'll work as well as it works - similar to how things will likely go once businesses start reopening here in the US. A grand experiment of sorts.