From Mr Bayley - NO buffet

If this cuts down spreads of viruses, why complain?  Many wrote that people fill up their plates and don't eat half of what they put on their plates.  Let the servers put the food on the plate, if it's not enough for you, just tell them you want a little extra if you desire.  Eat it and then return if you desire more, but I bet many won't because they had their fill.

2 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

If this cuts down spreads of viruses, why complain?  Many wrote that people fill up their plates and don't eat half of what they put on their plates.  Let the servers put the food on the plate, if it's not enough for you, just tell them you want a little extra if you desire.  Eat it and then return if you desire more, but I bet many won't because they had their fill.

It's definitely true that a lot of food gets thrown out.  Sometimes because people get too much and other times because they're trying something to see if they like it.  I see no issue with crew serving over me serving myself.  At least I know that no one has licked their fingers and then grabbed a utensil.  Who raised these people that think you lick your fingers like that?

3 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

I don't think many folks here have an issue with staff putting the food onto your plate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BND said:

At least I know that no one has licked their fingers and then grabbed a utensil.  Who raised these people that think you lick your fingers like that?

I have had to back away from that area when I see that.

5 minutes ago, BND said:

I see no issue with crew serving over me serving myself.  At least I know that no one has licked their fingers and then grabbed a utensil.  Who raised these people that think you lick your fingers like that?

I don't understand that finger licking stuff either. From what I have observed it happens because they have to taste their food while they are walking around filling their plate. How hungry can someone be, on a cruise ship no less, that they can't wait to get to their table to start eating?😏

with COVID-19 we will see the classic buffet both on land and sea to likely disapear for a longer time or even be discontinued permanently. Windjammer or other buffets were always the place of highest concern for spreading viruses, however it was quite convenient because the venue feeds a lot of people in a quick time. With COVID-19 everyone, also the cruise lines are forced to rethink all the onboard concepts including dining and finally lots of time and also money is being invested into this aspect. The future concept will probably see the MDR to have more significance and especially for Breakfast and lunch it might need at full capacity by utilizing the entire space including offering lunch on port days.

The Windjammer venue itself could be designed into a food court concept, where you have different food outlets / counters, such as Asian /stir Fry, Indian, American, Salad, Backery / Sandwich, Deserts / Fruit. Ordering could be made directly at the counter and or through a digital Menu to be accessed through your personal smartphone / Tablet while sitting at the table. of which all tables will be numbered and when ordering you need to enter your table number that the waiter will know to where the food should be delivered. Possibly a way could be found that food could be ordered directly at the counter (Where food is displayed and seperated through glass + Made to order) and again you would provide your table number for the food to be delivered however here a way needs to be found to avoid to long queuing / to keep social distance. Also, the venue can only be accessed when receiving a designated table at the entrance, similar as MDR, to avoid crowds wondering around the venue.

When buffets will disapear the cruiselines will benefit as welll including the environment as there will be less food waste as people can't just load their plates out of conrol which will help that they will eat less an or less uneaten food will go into the bin.

• Like 1

Looks like Virgin's Scarlet Lady will be better poised in the food department since they have ditched the buffet all together and replaced it with 20 specialty restaurants that are included in the fare.  Richard Branson got rid of almost everything people complained about on other cruise lines.  No tips, no formal night, no dress code, no set dining times, no kids, more time at ports and almost everything included.  I'm sold!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Cruise ship buffet is the golden coral of the seas! Slop! Use this as an opportunity to get your money's worth and DO BETTER.

The next time you're on a cruise, take note:   You'll see that 75% to 80% of that night's MDR menu will be also getting served in that night's buffet.  Just because you wear nicer clothes in the dining room doesn't make the food TASTE better.

• Like 2

There are better ways to alleviate the contact concerns than cutting one of the most popular features of the cruise. Very disappointing if this is the proverbial wave of the future. 

46 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

You'll see that 75% to 80% of that night's MDR menu will be also getting served in that night's buffet.

When I realized this is when I pretty much stopped going to the MDR, except on cruises where big dinners were the whole point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badvector said:

Wow, this thread has really had a run.  Just skimming through, it is full of entitled, elitist and snobbish remarks.  Personally, I see a time and place for the WJ buffet and the MDR.  I've seen the same types of behavior being called out in the WJ happen in the MDR.  What I don't comprehend is the "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist" mentality.  First world problems eh?  

I concur, I am repulsed by a lot of things but just because I dont engage does not mean that others cant enjoy.

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Looks like Virgin's Scarlet Lady will be better poised in the food department since they have ditched the buffet all together and replaced it with 20 specialty restaurants that are included in the fare.  Richard Branson got rid of almost everything people complained about on other cruise lines.  No tips, no formal night, no dress code, no set dining times, no kids, more time at ports and almost everything included.  I'm sold!

no sports court and a high price, i am not sold

13 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

When I realized this is when I pretty much stopped going to the MDR, except on cruises where big dinners were the whole point. 

yes we will check the menu at the sit  down/be served  trough to see if the food being offered is worth tolerating that whole painstaking ordeal.  

3 minutes ago, Newleno said:

no sports court and a high price, i am not sold

The Scarlet lady has a cardio and weights gyms, a spin studio, a high-intensity training room, indoor and outdoor yoga areas, an outdoor boxing ring, and a running track around the top of the ship. And no MDR either.  That's enough for me!  

12 minutes ago, 4cruzer said:

There are better ways to alleviate the contact concerns than cutting one of the most popular features of the cruise. Very disappointing if this is the proverbial wave of the future. 

The buffet is a thing for the past and already before the setup as is was not conform already out of a hygenic perspective which even now becomes more important. However it should give a chance to develop a new culinary concept that will make the venue however it will be called or look in the future a culinary experience instead of a canteen. There is and there will be enough for everyone to eat on a cruiseship and no one will go hungry and end his cruiseholiday with less weight than when they boarded if they wish to do so given their eating habits.

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The Scarlet lady has a cardio and weights gyms, a spin studio, a high-intensity training room, indoor and outdoor yoga areas, an outdoor boxing ring, and a running track around the top of the ship. And no MDR either.  That's enough for me!  

yeah even at my advanced age I still love playing basketball or at least shooting basketball almost every day, boxing nah if i want to get the snot knocked out of me I just have to engage one my noise maker neighbors.

The main concern with buffets at this point should be safety.  There's a Japanese video depicting how Covid-19 can spread in a cruise ship buffet.  The video went viral.  It's the touching of food, utensils, trays, fountain drinks etc. that make it dangerous in these times. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2020/05/11/watch-viral-japanese-video-shows-how-quickly-covid-19-can-spread-at-a-buffet/#49168bb24a59

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The main concern with buffets at this point should be safety.  There's a Japanese video depicting how Covid-19 can spread in a cruise ship buffet.  The video went viral.  It's the touching of food, utensils, trays, fountain drinks etc. that make it dangerous in these times. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2020/05/11/watch-viral-japanese-video-shows-how-quickly-covid-19-can-spread-at-a-buffet/#49168bb24a59

Since cruiseships are incubators for viruses to spread of which the buffet is the main breading point they now have a real incentive to get away from this and develop a new concept that is more hygenic and will see much less outbreaks of viruses such as Noro or influenza amongst others like COVID-19.

On 5/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Hardly will I accept whatever RCI comes up with. They either provide a product that I will enjoy or my money stays in my bank account.

• Like 2

Totally agree if their  decisions are something I think would prevent me from enjoying my vacation I will also cancel my 3 cruises I have booked and keep my money in the bank.  I assume the diamond lounge will be a thing of the past also.  That was just a matter of time anyway.  We get 3 drinks a nite on our card now to use at bars during happy hour. 5:30-8:00 so bye bye for that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

Since cruiseships are incubators for viruses to spread of which the buffet is the main breading point they now have a real incentive to get away from this and develop a new concept that is more hygenic and will see much less outbreaks of viruses such as Noro or influenza amongst others like COVID-19.

True, buffets have always been cesspools for bacteria and viruses.  The cruise lines need to address this -- it is way overdue. The new CDC regulations will put a major impediment on how the buffets operated in the past.  

Posted Vickie Freed Statement on Buffet

Royal Caribbean to Cut Traditional Buffet Once Cruises Resume

Windjammer on Brilliance of the SeasWindjammer on Brilliance of the Seas

May 15, 2020

aaron-saunders_130x130_11.jpg
Aaron Saunders
Cruise Critic contributor

(12:45 p.m. EDT) – The traditional cruise ship buffet is about to go overboard when sailings resume, according to Royal Caribbean executives.

In a virtual Coffee Chat call with Royal Caribbean's senior vice president of sales and trade support & service, Vicki Freed, president and CEO Michael Bayley conceded that the hygiene changes that will go into effect because of the COVID-19 pandemic line will likely strike down the standard buffet offering, which has been a staple of cruising for decades.

"I think in the beginning, there will not be a buffet…that's how I see it," said Bayley during the session. " We will utilize the space, we will utilize the Windjammer, but in all probability, it won't be a classical buffet. It will be something more akin to a restaurant."

The news has generated significant buzz on Cruise Critic's message boards, with opinions from both buffet loyalist and those who are ready to move on.

"Will be very disappointed if they do away with the [Windjammer, Royal Caribbean's onboard buffet offering]," writes Ashland. "Why can't they just use servers like they do when there's a Noro outbreak onboard?"

"Oh man... that's the last plastic straw!" says Rocket3D. "What's next...no bars?"

Others, however, say they won't miss the buffet experience.

"I find the experience of eating at Windjammer restaurants and other buffets somewhat disgusting and only eat there reluctantly if there is absolutely no other choice," says LibertyBella. "Eating becomes a competition and a race instead of an experience to enjoy."

"My thoughts — we will all be so glad to get back to cruising that whatever Royal comes up with will be accepted," writes Lady Hudson. "I am not a big Windjammer person so would not be a big loss for me. Unintended benefit — less noro[virus]?"

While Royal Caribbean has not announced exact plans for the Windjammer buffet aboard its fleet, Bayley stated that any changes to the casual eatery would have to be made with the coronavirus pandemic in mind.

"I think the key focus on dining is making sure that our guests have plenty of choices," said Bayley. "That choice has to be put through the lens of distancing, and safety and health."

Royal Caribbean already had hand sanitizing stations on every vessel outside the Windjammer buffet, and some ships had full-service handwashing stations located at each entrance. During a sailing on Explorer of the Seas in early March, the line had employees stationed outside the Windjammer with large containers of sanitizer, making sure everyone used it before going in.

These changes, however, are also mandated in part by the "No Sail" order issued in March by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which was extended in April to last for a period of no less than 100 days [July 24] as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.

Other changes to Royal Caribbean's sanitation and hygiene practices have not been revealed yet. Cruise Critic will report on these, when the line releases them.

• Thanks 1