Restrictions eased in outer islands

sita

Here's the text of the FP COVID-19 Travel Ban update. It really just lightens up on FP residents, especially those on the outer islands, while keeping the non-resident travel ban in effect "until further notice." Doesn't help much for those of us still booked on a pending PG Cruise in the very near future.

In accordance with the measures in place to stop the spread of COVID-19 in French Polynesia, the authorities have taken new measures effective from May 13th 2020.

• Access to the territory for all non-residents of French Polynesia is still suspended (since March 18, 2020), until further notice.
  • Lockdown measures are lifted in the islands (except for Tahiti, Moorea, Maiao and Tetiaroa): all establishments welcoming general public will be able to reopen without any restriction.
  • Maritime traffic between all the islands within the same archipelago has been restored. However, air travel between the island of Tahiti and the outer islands is still prohibited.
  • For the islands of Tahiti, Moorea, Maiao and Tetiaroa, the lightening of lockdown restrictions will continue until further notice as follows: gatherings of more than 100 persons will be prohibited, bars, restaurants and nightclubs will be able to welcome general public again by maintaining social distancing in all cases. However, dancefloors will remain closed. Movies theaters, event halls and sports clubs will also be able to reopen.

On 5/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, Petoonya said:

Windstar Wind Spirit is set to sail in Tahiti Sept 3 2020! Maybe PG then soon too.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22973-windstar-plans-to-start-cruising-again-in-september.html

Actually, PG is still planning to sail as soon as early as June 6th (I'm currently booked on a July 4th cruise). They have not (yet) cancelled that cruise since FP hasn't committed to a firm date to open the islands to non-residents. We are all being held hostage until that happens.

There is some news today

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/polynesie/deconfinement-total-polynesie-834592.html?fbclid=IwAR3cPe-XHfG8k26wsVFpEs0B5taGuZOuK8_irg7DnlMz5ZG4gP3rCHm3WVg

Run it through google translate, cannot paste it here fore some reason

Stated ATN flights resume July 1

It looks like the authorities in FP mentioned the resumption of international travel but the conditions for travel are, as expected, demanding: 

Le tourisme international reprendra suivant un protocole sanitaire rigoureux : test négatif 72h avant le départ, quatorzaine sur le territoire en hébergement dédié du Pays ou à domicile selon des conditions strictes et nouveau dépistage à l'issue. Un suivi sanitaire quotidien est organisé par les services de l'Etat avec des possibilités de contrôles par les forces de l'ordre. Chaque non-respect de la quatorzaine sera sanctionné pénalement.

International tourism will resume following a rigorous health protocol: negative test 72 hours before departure, fourteen in the country in dedicated accommodation in the country or at home under strict conditions and new screening at the end. Daily health monitoring is organized by the State services with the possibility of checks by the police. Each non-compliance with the fortnight will be penalized.

Source:

Here is the English translation of the 5/20 FP announcement. I have no idea how the highlighted section will be implemented in regards to non-residents. There is no specific mention of cruise ships.

This Wednesday, May 20, President Edouard Fritch announced the complete lifting of the containment, effective Thursday, May 21. All activities resume normally, with the exception of the sale of alcohol which remains subject to conditions.
LGT  Posted on May 20, 2020 at 11:52 am,

During a press briefing on Wednesday May 20, President Edouard Fritch announced the total deconfinement of Polynesia , starting tomorrow, Thursday May 21. " The virus is no longer circulating and all the cases detected are negative ."

Everything resumes normally except the sale of alcohol

The religious services can resume normally, the rallies , the practice of all sports and leagues .

All primary schools resume normally on June 4 . In the meantime, the measures put in place remain in force.

The colleges of the islands also resume normally from June 4. The student transportation will be replaced next week.
The sailboats welcomed in excess in the mooring areas must continue their voyage.
The bars and nightclubs resume their activities nominally.
The parties and shows are allowed.

Only the conditions for the sale of alcohol remain unchanged : Monday to Thursday until 6 p.m.
Edouard Fritch welcomed a " return to normal life. Our efforts and sacrifices have paid off ." While recommending to continue the barrier gestures and physical distancing " until the discovery of a vaccine ".

Air links to boost tourism

Domestic air services resume on May 22. " I appeal to your patriotism , said Edouard Fritch, and to your love of the Country, to your solidarity, towards these small businesses of our islands, including Tahiti. " The President thus called to " consume local: consume your holidays in our islands, our fruits, our textiles ... "

Air Tahiti Nui flights will resume from July 1st.
5,000 jobs are threatened in hotels. More than 19,000 workers will be weakened by " this unprecedented crisis ", announced President Edouard Fritch. The whole island of Bora Bora " is suffering [...] Our economy depends on external markets: vanilla, pearl, tourism,"

International tourism will resume according to a rigorous health protocol : negative test 72 hours before departure, fourteen on the territory in dedicated accommodation in the country or at home under strict conditions and new screening at the end. Daily health monitoring is organized by the State services with the possibility of checks by the police.Every non-compliance with the fortnight will be penalized.

7 hours ago, Hutchinj said:

Actually, PG is still planning to sail as soon as early as June 6th (I'm currently booked on a July 4th cruise). They have not (yet) cancelled that cruise since FP hasn't committed to a firm date to open the islands to non-residents. We are all being held hostage until that happens.

We are booked on the June 6th cruise. I emailed them two weeks ago regarding the status of our cruise and they informed us that it has been cancelled. American Airlines also called me and wanted to check what we wanted to do with our flights because the Fiji-FP flights, operated by Fiji Airways and Air Tahiti respectively, has been cancelled. 

I'm currently having a hard time deciding what to do... receive a 120% credit for a cruise next year or demand for a refund? We also have purchased a travel insurance with Cancel for Any Reason clause. Should I just cancel it myself and file a claim? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Edited by Sailwithbars

1 hour ago, Sailwithbars said:

We are booked on the June 6th cruise. I emailed them two weeks ago regarding the status of our cruise and they informed us that it has been cancelled. American Airlines also called me and wanted to check what we wanted to do with our flights because the Fiji-FP flights, operated by Fiji Airways and Air Tahiti respectively, has been cancelled. 

I'm currently having a hard time deciding what to do... receive a 120% credit for a cruise next year or demand for a refund? We also have purchased a travel insurance with Cancel for Any Reason clause. Should I just cancel it myself and file a claim? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Interesting. All the cruises from June 6th on are still listed as bookable on the PG website. Go figure.

Good luck if you opt for a refund. They seem to be saying NO to that even if they cancel the cruise. You may need to file a dispute with your credit card company if it comes to that.

And I recommend you double-check your Cancel for Any Reason policy very closely. Most of those still have a general exclusion for epidemics/pandemics. Your policy may be good but don't assume, confirm.

Yesterday the FP President eased up on restrictions including non-residents but there is verbiage about medical clearance 72 hours before travel, a potential 14-day quarantine upon arrival, daily health monitoring, etc, etc that we have no details about yet. Hopefully that will be clarified very soon.

28 minutes ago, Hutchinj said:

Interesting. All the cruises from June 6th on are still listed as bookable on the PG website. Go figure.

Good luck if you opt for a refund. They seem to be saying NO to that even if they cancel the cruise. You may need to file a dispute with your credit card company if it comes to that.

And I recommend you double-check your Cancel for Any Reason policy very closely. Most of those still have a general exclusion for epidemics/pandemics. Your policy may be good but don't assume, confirm.

Yesterday the FP President eased up on restrictions including non-residents but there is verbiage about medical clearance 72 hours before travel, a potential 14-day quarantine upon arrival, daily health monitoring, etc, etc that we have no details about yet. Hopefully that will be clarified very soon.

This was just posted on PG ..All June cruises cancelled

https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

Edited by fedexretiree
added more info

1 hour ago, fedexretiree said:

This was just posted on PG ..All June cruises cancelled

https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

Thanks for the update, Fedex. So PG has cancelled all cruises thru June. That still leaves our July 4th cruise in limbo. I gotta admit, my wife and I are not necessarily thrilled with the idea of serving as PG's guinea pigs for their first cruise after the lockdown is lifted. <sigh>

23 hours ago, Hutchinj said:

Thanks for the update, Fedex. So PG has cancelled all cruises thru June. That still leaves our July 4th cruise in limbo. I gotta admit, my wife and I are not necessarily thrilled with the idea of serving as PG's guinea pigs for their first cruise after the lockdown is lifted. <sigh>

On the flip side is the cruise is awaiting cruisers and my guess is everything possible to go beyond their normal great service will be done. The 'guinea pigs' will be the first to report back  ... I think that may very well be a great cruise to experience 😉

On the flip side is the cruise is awaiting cruisers and my guess is everything possible to go beyond their normal great service will be done. The 'guinea pigs' will be the first to report back  ... I think that may very well be a great cruise to experience [emoji6]

TBK... always the cheerleader. And a highly valued one, too. :) Have always enjoyed your posts and lovely photos!

There is no question the first cruise after lifting the lockdown WILL be different from the past. Of course I’m sure the crew will do all they can to make it a good experience but within limits. Yes, it could be good. But it could also be very, very bad.

It may be like old home week to you and others who have sailed with PG many times before. But for many of us newbies, this is likely a one-time bucket list trip that we cannot afford to replicate.

We paid for a dream trip as advertised in the glossy brochures and videos. Social distancing, forced wearing of masks, limited activities, and other necessary restrictions will unfortunately water down, not enhance, the overall experience.

We desperately want the PG cruise we have dreamed of and planned for 2 years in celebration of our 50th Anniversay. But allow me the liberty to be nervous about it. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums