Will you have to take off your mask to get your picture taken for your cruise card?

ontheweb

And then you would have to take it off again every time you leave or reboard the ship so they could recognize you.?

And what about the TSA agents at the airports? With your mask on, how would they compare how you look to your passport picture?

And wouldn't that expose the TSA agents to the virus? Actually according to this article from 4/9, 2 TSA agents as of then had already died from the virus and over 300 had tested positive.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/2nd-tsa-employee-dies-covid-19-300-employees/story?id=70072373

• Thanks 1

TSA could be authorized to add employment of "live scan" fingerprinting (pretty much instantaneous results) and cruise embarkation could be moved to fingerprint scanning as well. For those without fingerprints currently on file with the government (as required by certain school, licensing and varied govt. employment) a finger printing record requirement could be imposed (just like passports can be required).

• Like 1

KISS. Why the need for added bells and whistles or additional hoops to jump through? With proper social distancing, and the security personnel having been properly screened before coming on duty and appropriately equipped with PPE, there should be no problem in momentarily lowering your mask for the few seconds that a visual comparison to your photo ID would take.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mom says said:

KISS. Why the need for added bells and whistles or additional hoops to jump through? With proper social distancing, and the security personnel having been properly screened before coming on duty and appropriately equipped with PPE, there should be no problem in momentarily lowering your mask for the few seconds that a visual comparison to your photo ID would take.

I think that's valid. I have a very dry mouth and need to take sips of water 24/7. Nowadays if in a store I just turn away from any products or people, quickly lower my mask, take a sip and it's back in seconds.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

TSA could be authorized to add employment of "live scan" fingerprinting (pretty much instantaneous results) and cruise embarkation could be moved to fingerprint scanning as well. For those without fingerprints currently on file with the government (as required by certain school, licensing and varied govt. employment) a finger printing record requirement could be imposed (just like passports can be required).

They are going to embed your fingerprints on your cruise card, really? Does everyone touch the same thing to do the fingerprints? How would that work for people who are afraid to touch an elevator button or the bannister on a staircase? And I guess you would have to take your gloves off.

And are you really equating getting fingerprinted like you were a criminal to getting a passport?

Edited by ontheweb

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

They are going to embed your fingerprints on your cruise card, really? Does everyone touch the same thing to do the fingerprints? How would that work for people who are afraid to touch an elevator button or the bannister on a staircase? And I guess you would have to take your gloves off.

And are you really equating getting fingerprinted like you were a criminal to getting a passport?

Fingerprinting happens at many airports, why would it be degrading to have it on a cruise ship😳?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

Fingerprinting happens at many airports, why would it be degrading to have it on a cruise ship😳?

We've never been fingerprinted at any of the airports in the USA or Europe that we have been in. I'd be interested in knowing what airports you are referring to.

Also within the last few months I have read threads on both the Princess and Holland America boards dealing with the lines having been hacked. Do you want your fingerprints at risk of being shared?

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We've never been fingerprinted at any of the airports in the USA or Europe that we have been in. I'd be interested in knowing what airports you are referring to.

Also within the last few months I have read threads on both the Princess and Holland America boards dealing with the lines having been hacked. Do you want your fingerprints at risk of being shared?

I've been fingerprinted every time I've entered the US. Standard policy for foreigners entering the US.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

I have been fingerprinted in LAX and HNL. Also in Japan and Taiwan along with facial scans. I have heard of other airports but these are my first hand experiences. I'm not prticularly worried about cruise lines having my fingerprints, even if the data base is hacked there isn't really a lot you can do with fingerprints and nothing different to a retinal scan which you don't seem as worried about.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Global entry kiosks rely on fingerprinting.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

If your interested on this thread someone compiled a list of countries known for their fingerprinting. The table was last updated 2018 so it might be missing some details but it is probably as comprehensive as you will get:

List of countries which collect fingerprints and other biometric data

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

One must assume you don't have (nor want) Global Entry for the U.S.? Live scan fingerprints are required by CBP and used in the GE kiosks.

As for the cruise ship, it would only need to be one finger scanned (just like your smart phone) into their system. And wipe the readers with an alcohol swab.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Let's face it, if the CV19 situation is still so bad that people are needing to wear masks, cruises will not be taking place. 

That's the big question, isn't it?

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Will you have to take off your mask to get your picture taken for your cruise card?

Nope.  Because if a mask is still required to be worn, I won't be cruising.  

• Like 7

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Retinal scan technology?

Nice idea, but I can't imagine any cruise line wanting to make that type of investment.  If anything I could see them using the fingerprint technology that Disney has used for years in their parks.  Which leads me to think DCL might very well be able to immediately move that same technology to their ships and provide hand sanitizer a foot later like they will be doing in the parks.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Disney has been using this technology for at least 15 years, with the "print" (which isn't an actual print, it picks up on various "points") attached to the park pass. The print isn't stored on the pass but in a computer associated with that pass.  You scan the pass and stick your finger on the scanning device.  If they match, you're in.    It would actually be a really good idea.  Hand sanitizer could be immediately adjacent.

Edited by ducklite

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I've been fingerprinted every time I've entered the US. Standard policy for foreigners entering the US.

It has been since 2004.  And I believe a component of ETIAS will be fingerprinting at the first point of entry using the system once it's in place.