Carnival layoffs

jimbo5544

20 minutes ago, Thorncroft said:

It's time for John Heald to retire and let someone younger takeover. He doesn't appeal to the younger demographic nearly as much as he did to the geriatrics and scooter mafia. 

BRILLIANT Cheers Mate LOL

• Like 1

This is not a surprise. Soon we will hear about ships being decommissioned, sold, or scrapped. I even heard a totally unsubstantiated rumor that Princess will be sold off entirely.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wareaglefan444 said:

well, just got an email that my PVP is no longer with the carnival, and that a new PVP would be assigned to me. This really sux, I had the same one for over twenty years.

Wow 20 years ? Hoping mine is still there . I’ve not received anything 

2 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

It's time for John Heald to retire and let someone younger takeover. He doesn't appeal to the younger demographic nearly as much as he did to the geriatrics and scooter mafia. 

And yet the cruises he hosts are always sold out in advance!!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rvsullivan said:

And yet the cruises he hosts are always sold out in advance!!!

He does have a faithful following. Carnival knows that if they have a dog of a cruise that isn't selling, they can slap him onboard and sell it on out. But this only happens a couple of times a year and you'll be lucky to catch him out of his cabin. He'd much rather be Facebooking. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

DON'T YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON ME

12 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Such a shame. If we keep putting too much focus only on health and ignoring the economy, this stuff will only get worse

Could not agree more, this is a terrible illness and we won't know the true effects for years, however, we certainly can estimate the near term effects now and they are not good. I will cruise again with Carnival. There are many repercussions to the actions already taken.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wareaglefan444 said:

well, just got an email that my PVP is no longer with the carnival, and that a new PVP would be assigned to me. This really sux, I had the same one for over twenty years.

This is what I am worried about!!! I emailed mine yesterday and haven't heard anything from her! 

I spoke with mine last week. I have been using him for 15 years and he is wonderful! He said Carnival cut their hours so it is taking him longer to return calls and emails. They also cut pay. I am hoping he will still be there when this clears!

Numbers definitely WOW... 45% of Miami based jobs cut/furloughed  (1300 People) 2000 cut in California/Seattle with Holland America and Princess. Those who kept their jobs had salary cut between 20-50%.  It was a somber day down here for sure 😞 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, poz222 said:

Numbers definitely WOW... 45% of Miami based jobs cut/furloughed  (1300 People) 2000 cut in California/Seattle with Holland America and Princess. Those who kept their jobs had salary cut between 20-50%.  It was a somber day down here for sure 😞 

Misery Index

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poz222 said:

The article I read was 820 people in Florida and 500 in California and Washington (Seattle).  I think the 1300 number was an overall number.  Sad but if your business is essentially shut down you cannot afford the people.

I follow Carnival because I hold some stock (yeah ouch).  It does seem that prior to this, Carnival had increased the number of people hired particularly at the executive level.  Maybe some at the top trimming is healthy long term.  Sorry for the PVP's and others who got caught up in the virus mess.

Next time some politician says the cruise industry should not get help because the ships are flagged overseas, they should be reminded about the # of people employed by the industry.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, poz222 said:

Pretty much all over the country, many good friends are now unemployed.  

1 hour ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

The article I read was 820 people in Florida and 500 in California and Washington (Seattle).  I think the 1300 number was an overall number.  Sad but if your business is essentially shut down you cannot afford the people.

I follow Carnival because I hold some stock (yeah ouch).  It does seem that prior to this, Carnival had increased the number of people hired particularly at the executive level.  Maybe some at the top trimming is healthy long term.  Sorry for the PVP's and others who got caught up in the virus mess.

Next time some politician says the cruise industry should not get help because the ships are flagged overseas, they should be reminded about the # of people employed by the industry.  

The PVPs, the shoreside staff ... all of them deserve better. The crews, of course, aren't calculated in these numbers - but those are the people we've sailed with and gotten to know, and all of them are hurting now, too.

Now CCL needs more than a little "top trimming."  The company didn't create the virus, but its consistently bungled response has been a textbook in mismanagement ... so its executives carry plenty of the responsibility here. (And by the way, if the CDC proves unusually resistant to helping the industry, that will be the direct result of how wretchedly the industry dealt with this crisis.  So blaming the CDC won't work. Instead look to Arison, Arnold, Duffy and friends)

7 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The PVPs, the shoreside staff ... all of them deserve better. The crews, of course, aren't calculated in these numbers - but those are the people we've sailed with and gotten to know, and all of them are hurting now, too.

Now CCL needs more than a little "top trimming."  The company didn't create the virus, but its consistently bungled response has been a textbook in mismanagement ... so its executives carry plenty of the responsibility here. (And by the way, if the CDC proves unusually resistant to helping the industry, that will be the direct result of how wretchedly the industry dealt with this crisis.  So blaming the CDC won't work. Instead look to Arison, Arnold, Duffy and friends)

What specific mismanagement? They've spent most of the time reacting to circumstances beyond their control.

The only critique I can level against CCL is lack of transparency concerning refunds.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. 

😉

I like John Heald, as does my wife.  We find him to be funny in that sarcastic English way that I guess we love.  We aren't geriatric-set, more like middle aged.

Maybe Carnival, once they recover and make a profit again, should have two brand ambassadors.  One "young hipster" on Instragram or TikTok or whatever is the app-du-jour for the folks with no attention span; and John Heald for those of us that remember the good old 1980s.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

820 were laid off with an additional 580 on furlough through November (no pay but keep medical coverage) Between Miami and Miramar. Seattle and California between Holland America and Princess had 2000 Either laid off or furloughed. The president of HAL and Seabourne have been let go. 

as for it being “top trimming” from everyone I talk with there were some but also a lot of mid and lower. Especially those involved with the hotel and guest operations.... And lots of PVPs so you might give a “hey you still there” check if you have one. 

It was somewhat expected by most that this would happen, 6 months with no revenue it would be impossible to continue to pay everyone, even those who’s jobs were basically cut to 0.  But always a shock if you are the one actually cut. NCL and RCCL had similar cutting last month so many were bracing for it but your never TRULY prepared. 

It’s rough waters for a lot of people who depend on the cruising industry. We can only hope for a safe restarting someday soon. 

• Like 2