Yes Buffets really are gross

tocruiseguy

I always hated buffets on the ships, especially the time I was washing my hands in the washroom right outside the Oceanview cafe and a guy walked right out of the stall past the sinks.  Witnessed him spooning food on his plate, infected everything he touched with his dirty hands.  When cruising starts up again the buffets need to be removed permanently.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/japanese-experiment-showcases-how-quickly-viruses-can-spread-at-buffets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

I always hated buffets on the ships, especially the time I was washing my hands in the washroom right outside the Oceanview cafe and a guy walked right out of the stall past the sinks.  Witnessed him spooning food on his plate, infected everything he touched with his dirty hands.  When cruising starts up again the buffets need to be removed permanently.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/japanese-experiment-showcases-how-quickly-viruses-can-spread-at-buffets

They need to reuse those spaces to allow for quick meals that you pre-order and they are placed on the table for you when you walk into the area.  It can be done fairly easily using technology. The risks definitely outweigh the rewards of the buffet.  They do not need more staff, they need better technology!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

We aren't buffet fans but, I disagree with you that buffets need to be removed permanently from cruise ships. Buffets still can be a dining option but no longer self serve style. Cafeteria style where you are served your selection(s).  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 11

That's and issue everywhere, people just have no idea on manners or hygiene . I once witnessed a cruiser tasting food with the serving spoons, called supervisor over and told him and pointed out lady and all he did was remove the dishes that I saw her touch.Never went and confronted her.

• Like 1

We don’t like the buffet, it really is the easiest way to catch something whether on a cruise ship or a hotel. Of all the changes they probably will make losing self service will be one we look forward to. Plate food up and have staff serve anything else is the way to go, that’s not just going to help with Covid but Norovirus and colds and flue.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, yorky said:

We don’t like the buffet, it really is the easiest way to catch something whether on a cruise ship or a hotel. Of all the changes they probably will make losing self service will be one we look forward to. Plate food up and have staff serve anything else is the way to go, that’s not just going to help with Covid but Norovirus and colds and flue.

Agree 100%

• Like 2

I think all the buffet threads have by and large been used to pile on about the poor hygiene habits of some passengers.  I've yet to read anything that suggested that the spread of C-19 was greater in the buffet venue on a cruise ship than any other venue.

I could become exposed to the virus in the ladies room where I wash my hands before even entering the buffet.

Removing the buffet does not remove the virus...it just changes the location of possible exposure to somewhere else. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

We aren't buffet fans but, I disagree with you that buffets need to be removed permanently from cruise ships. Buffets still can be a dining option but no longer self serve style. Cafeteria style where you are served your selection(s).  

Which I believe is what's going to happen.

• Like 2

Why is there another " Feature Thread " ( ??? ) on Buffets ? 

Buffets are offered in land restaurants also, yet, I never saw any " Letters to the Editor " about them .

Big deal-- either go or don't go-- We all have a " story  " about them and know what people are like whether on a ship or in a restaurant on land.  Even when additional " precautions " are in place, " Slobs " with hygiene and food handling will still be " Slobs ".

How about a new topic, like ,  '' When am I getting MY refund " or " When will we be able to cruise again " ???

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Why is there another " Feature Thread " ( ??? ) on Buffets ? 

Buffets are offered in land restaurants also, yet, I never saw any " Letters to the Editor " about them .

Big deal-- either go or don't go-- We all have a " story  " about them and know what people are like whether on a ship or in a restaurant on land.  Even when additional " precautions " are in place, " Slobs " with hygiene and food handling will still be " Slobs ".

How about a new topic, like ,  '' When am I getting MY refund " or " When will we be able to cruise again " ???

LOL....on point..

Personally, going to a buffet just to go does not usually appeal to me, personally.

On a cruise ship I do not mind as I Am not reviewing a menu of what is what and I can get what I want...

Maybe some 'modified' approach to self-service???

As for the 'germ' factor, what about what 'can or may' happen in the kitchen beyond ones sight???

At least I can see what passengers are doing and report ASAP or say something to them and move on to the next station or stay one ahead, while in the kitchen one 'hopes' nothing unsavory has happened to the food before it is presented/delivered for consumption... LOL

bon appetite and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Buffets are not gross. 

The behavior of many people at buffets is gross.  Refilling water bottles with a sign saying do NOT refill bottles due to health regulations - nothing new there - is one example of people being rude and not caring of anyone else.  Those "people" are sadly not likely to go away.

While not a great buffet fan, I do occassionally like a salad buffet.  Agree that buffets are likely to become cafeteria style both on board and in restaurants.

Edited by az_tchr
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, az_tchr said:

Buffets are not gross. 

The behavior of many people at buffets is gross. 

Exactly.  I couldn't agree more.  While not huge patrons of the buffet, we do like to get ice cream.  We enjoy a salad and even an occasional sandwich.  Like cruising in general has received a bad wrap during the pandemic, so have buffets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Eh, there are so many places you could catch something on cruise ships. What about the theater? You are sitting closely to different people every night. Some viruses are spread by breathing. How many people have touched the slot machines before you? And elevators. 

I'd like to see them eliminate self serve at the buffet. Extend the sneeze guard so the passengers can't reach in and have crew members serve the food.

• Like 3

We did use the buffet on our last cruise but not much.  If I remember correctly there were a few times we got back late from an excursion and the buffet was the only option.  But we did find the aqua spa cafe and enjoyed that a few times.  (We did have breakfast often at the buffet on Viking.  On X we tried to stay in Blu for breakfast and dinner.  And sometimes we did Sushi on 5.  So no buffet on those days.)

Any way, please keep commenting.  I could read buffet threads all day!!!  It never gets old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I understand the buffet concerns, they have been around for a long time.  But  the dining room is not without opportunities to spread germs - how many held the menu before it was given to you?  the salt & pepper shakers,  the jelly/jam containers,  wine list.  The tables are reset and clean silverware put down but the person who resets the table doesn't wash their hand before touching your plate & silverware.  Often that person just helped to clear the table and then reset it for the next people. 

We like the flexibility the buffet offers, we normally have a late lunch, past when the MDR closes.  We hope they move to crew plating the food but not eliminating the buffet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I understand the buffet concerns, they have been around for a long time.  But  the dining room is not without opportunities to spread germs - how many held the menu before it was given to you?  the salt & pepper shakers,  the jelly/jam containers,  wine list.  The tables are reset and clean silverware put down but the person who resets the table doesn't wash their hand before touching your plate & silverware.  Often that person just helped to clear the table and then reset it for the next people. 

We like the flexibility the buffet offers, we normally have a late lunch, past when the MDR closes.  We hope they move to crew plating the food but not eliminating the buffet.

Thanks a lot!  Now I can't eat anywhere!  I hope you're happy?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

23 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Not to mention what goes on in kitchens that you do not see.  Who knows who is washing their hands before touching your food.  What was dropped on the floor and picked back up, coughed on, sneezed on, and who knows what else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Decpl said:

That's and issue everywhere, people just have no idea on manners or hygiene . I once witnessed a cruiser tasting food with the serving spoons, called supervisor over and told him and pointed out lady and all he did was remove the dishes that I saw her touch.Never went and confronted her.

Back when Celebrity had the big brunch on the last sea day, a woman was at the chocolate fondu, took a bite out of here fruit skewer and double dipped it back into the fondu....I saw it with my own eyes...gross.  No wonder I border on germophobia....

Edited by tocruiseguy
Spelling

12 minutes ago, drew69 said:

Not to mention what goes on in kitchens that you do not see.  Who knows who is washing their hands before touching your food.  What was dropped on the floor and picked back up, coughed on, sneezed on, and who knows what else.

And don't forget about the chair you're sitting in. You either grab the arm rests or the bottom of the cushion to adjust it. And the list goes on...And because of all these potentials we have for years carried and used hand sanitizers no matter where we are. So far, so good. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, tocruiseguy said:

Back when Celebrity had the big brunch on the last sea day, a woman was at the chocolate fondu, took a bite out of here fruit skewer and double dipped it back into the fondu....I saw it with my own eyes...gross.  No wonder I border on germophobia....

If you see something..... say something.