Yes Buffets really are gross

tocruiseguy

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Just like going to the buffets. Individual choice. You either like them or not.    

Exactly correct---

That was my point-- It wasn't a complaint about the thread. 

Besides, sometimes a little " tongue-in-cheek " comments are made on CC.

It's all good fun 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The problem with the buffet is more than the touching contaminated utensils or surfaces.  The problem is the big crowd of people standing around looking at the food stations, standing next to each other and leaning over each other and coughing and sneezing on each other.  Tough to maintain social distance.  Remember the issue with airborne transmission.  That's why the solution will likely be table service instead of self service.  

Which with a little effort and willingness of the passengers, it can be maintained while in line.  The crew will need to be vigilant as well.

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Which with a little effort and willingness of the passengers, it can be maintained while in line.  The crew will need to be vigilant as well.

Unfortunately, unless future passengers are a very different breed than the average person, effort and willingness to social distance will be in short supply.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Unfortunately, unless future passengers are a very different breed than the average person, effort and willingness to social distance will be in short supply.

While I agree with your statement, I have to say that if there is a requirement for social distancing/physical separation on a cruise ship I, for one, won’t be onboard and I suspect many other cruisers won’t bother either.   That may very well take care of the crowding problem.....

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

While I agree with your statement, I have to say that if there is a requirement for social distancing/physical separation on a cruise ship I, for one, won’t be onboard and I suspect many other cruisers won’t bother either.   That may very well take care of the crowding problem.....

I agree, if social distancing is a cruise line's solution to keep its ships healthy, I won't be boarding. I'm a firm believer in social distancing, but I just don't see it being a viable practise on a cruise ship, even on one with a reduced passenger load.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

So I take if social distancing remains for, say, another 6-12 months at grocery stores or restaurants (once they open again), you're not going there either?

Personally, I have no issues with it.  However, I'm a huge proponent of people keeping a respectable distance away from me too (I like my personal space, thank you very much).  I hate being crowded in.  I generally will extend out my arm to get people to stand back a bit.

If cruise ships set things up in a certain way to help with social distancing, what's the issue?  It could be this way for years.  They may do it this way to just make sure no one gets sick, even if the possibility is nearly 0 once a vaccine comes out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

So I take if social distancing remains for, say, another 6-12 months at grocery stores or restaurants (once they open again), you're not going there either?

Personally, I have no issues with it.  However, I'm a huge proponent of people keeping a respectable distance away from me too (I like my personal space, thank you very much).  I hate being crowded in.  I generally will extend out my arm to get people to stand back a bit.

If cruise ships set things up in a certain way to help with social distancing, what's the issue?  It could be this way for years.  They may do it this way to just make sure no one gets sick, even if the possibility is nearly 0 once a vaccine comes out.

The grocery store is nowhere near the same environment as a cruise ship.  I’ve been going there, and other necessary places, for a couple of months now without any issues.  If the need to maintain the protocol remains then I’m ready to keep going along.

It’s entirely up to you if you choose to get on a ship where there remains a need for masks and/or social distancing.  Me, I refuse to do it and if that means never cruising again, then so be it.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I suppose you never use elevators?  Too claustrophobic? 

Actually, using the buffet when it first opens is the best time; the food is better, IMHO, and you can quickly move around and find what you want.  I use my Purell, as soon as I return to my seat...but that's just me!  I also make sure that my hands are clean before I touch any serving items.  I love cruising, but my next cruises are May of 2021, along with a b2b & TA in October...honetly, I do not think I can wait that long, but with a lot of chocolate it's a possibility!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

I suppose you never use elevators?  Too claustrophobic? 

I never use elevators but that's because I prefer to use stairs. Need to work off all that delicious food and drinks.

• Like 1

Originally the buffets were set up like a cafeteria,  line up with a tray and go down the line and get items from staff in individual plates.  But that was perceived as outdated.

Etiquette dictated that one always used utensils to dine, no eating with fingers. 

Most of those rules probably originated during plagues?

Maybe we just go back to good habits.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

I think I will go to restaurants and any thing else that will help me get back to living my life.  I will deal with whatever new rules are in place to do so.

I personally hate the term "social distancing".  What is social about it?  It is actually "anti-social distancing".  It would be better to call it "healthy distancing".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Originally the buffets were set up like a cafeteria,  line up with a tray and go down the line and get items from staff in individual plates.  But that was perceived as outdated.

Etiquette dictated that one always used utensils to dine, no eating with fingers. 

Most of those rules probably originated during plagues?

Maybe we just go back to good habits.

Do you eat your toast with a knife and fork?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I think I will go to restaurants and any thing else that will help me get back to living my life.  I will deal with whatever new rules are in place to do so.

I personally hate the term "social distancing".  What is social about it?  It is actually "anti-social distancing".  It would be better to call it "healthy distancing".

Physical separation....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Physical separation....

Personal space.  A phrase I have always used and a situation people fail to adhere to far too often unfortunately.....  :classic_sad:

By the way, to thew person who asked about elevators, easy fix there.  They can make them smaller by adding boxes in them and making it more difficult for more than 4 people on them.  Plus, the elevators really should be used more for those who actually need them, IMO.  I'd take the stairs if needed.

I honestly do not see any issue with any adjustments cruise lines may take to provide the passengers a safer cruise, even IF it's no longer needed at the time.  Is it risky taking one right now?  Maybe.  But it's no riskier than any other time.  For the time being we'll just need to practice a bit of patience as life re-adjusts itself.  People nowadays don't seem to want to be patient any more and do what's right, they only want to do what they want to do.

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Personal space.  A phrase I have always used and a situation people fail to adhere to far too often unfortunately.....  :classic_sad:

By the way, to thew person who asked about elevators, easy fix there.  They can make them smaller by adding boxes in them and making it more difficult for more than 4 people on them.  Plus, the elevators really should be used more for those who actually need them, IMO.  I'd take the stairs if needed.

I honestly do not see any issue with any adjustments cruise lines may take to provide the passengers a safer cruise, even IF it's no longer needed at the time.  Is it risky taking one right now?  Maybe.  But it's no riskier than any other time.  For the time being we'll just need to practice a bit of patience as life re-adjusts itself.  People nowadays don't seem to want to be patient any more and do what's right, they only want to do what they want to do.

I get your point but who gets to decide "what's right"?  Chuch leaders, politicians, internet posters etc?  We can talk about common sense but there is not much agreement on that.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I get your point but who gets to decide "what's right"?  Chuch leaders, politicians, internet posters etc?  We can talk about common sense but there is not much agreement on that.

Sadly most leaders didn't get to where they were because they were logical and have a long track record of solving problems in their area of expertise with logic, if they did, we'd be so much better off 😄

I for one do hope they keep buffets, the kind where it is all there, and they serve me, one burger, and tons of fries, LOL

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I for one do hope they keep buffets, the kind where it is all there, and they serve me, one burger, and tons of fries, LOL

You don't need the OVC for those. The mast/pool grill has great 'burgers, dogs, fries and all the fixins' you need. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

What's right, or rather, what's considerate (which is probably what I should have said) is to stay back a few feet.  6 feet is what is asked of people right now, 4 feet would be perfectly fine too.  Basically, if you're not my wife, you don't need to be any closer to me than that.

• Like 1

I agreeKTB Nothing worse than someone breathing on the back of your neck in a line! Same as sun beds, I don’t even like my bed next to the hubby unless there’s a good gap😂

• Like 2