Still up in air on Alaska

Decpl

WE have our cruise tour to Alaska  starting on July 31th  todate ,  nothing is out yet from Celebrity on hows its all going to be handled.  Not a fan of going into the unknown.

Concerned with getting off ship and returning from ports and even plane from east coast to Fairbanks and Vancouver back.Wish they would post something

about dinners, shows, and is masks are going to be required which is likely .If I don't hear anything will cancel next Monday. They need to let  customers know whats going to be the norm if it happens at all.  Anyone know or hear from Celebrity?

Practically speaking, I think most would tell you that there is very little likelihood of any Alaska cruises happening this year. Also, Celebrity has been cancelling cruises on a rolling basis after final payment.

Agree that they need to let customers know.  Cancellation is certainly coming.  Wait until the last possible day before you cancel (final payment day) would be the advice given here.  Or Lift and Shift.  Move the cruise to 2021 at no risk if your schedule allows.

The land tours definitely aren't happening. The providers are dependent on seasonal workers that won't be coming for the potentially shortened and shrunk season. With all the uncertainty, there is no way anyone could even offer them contracts right now. Princess and HAL (the 2 biggest Alaska land tour providers) cancelled all their land tours first and tried to maintain limited, late season Seattle round-trip cruises before abandoning them as well.

34 minutes ago, Decpl said:

WE have our cruise tour to Alaska  starting on July 31th  todate ,  nothing is out yet from Celebrity on hows its all going to be handled.  Not a fan of going into the unknown.

Concerned with getting off ship and returning from ports and even plane from east coast to Fairbanks and Vancouver back.Wish they would post something

about dinners, shows, and is masks are going to be required which is likely .If I don't hear anything will cancel next Monday. They need to let  customers know whats going to be the norm if it happens at all.  Anyone know or hear from Celebrity?

Sorry, but you will not be going to Alaska this year.  This has been discussed numerous times on these boards.  You can rebook for 2021, but keep in mind that many folks have already done this, so you might want to do it soon to get a preferred cabin.

Just wait.  It Definately will be cancelled.  Then you can either get a refund of 125% FCC.  I would personally use the lift and move to cruise next year.  Same cost and perks.

Ask your TA.

As others have said, there is little chance of the cruise happening. Celebrity are just cancelling in phases, Your options are well described above. Personally, If I had a refundable deposit I would cancel sooner rather than later.

Just as an FYI here is BC's stance on the cruise ship season this year. (copied and pasted from another thread I initially posted in)

Just throwing this in as it is giving BC's views on opening Victoria and Vancouver for Alaska cruising.

It says Alaska, the Yukon, BC,  and Washington State, as well as BC, at this point in time, are not anticipating opening the ports after the July closure.

BC, even if the federal gov does ease the port restrictions, will not allow passengers to disembark, even for a visit, without 14 day quarantine.

This is the 3pm 12 may 2020 Covid 19 Provincial update, so straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

If I don't manage to load this correctly skip to 37:20.

Cheers, heather

Even if Celebrity does try and run some cruises to Alaska this year the land tours won't likely work because they often use Princess Lodges for hotels and Princess announced long ago that they are not opening their lodges this year.  

The Salmon season is opening now so Alaska is having to deal with fisherman at least from the other states and they won’t be quarantined for 14 days.   As of 5/15, many or most states have eased restrictions.   The restaurants can now open at 50% capacity and the same goes for other retail establishments.   Still no word on opening gyms.   We are also waiting for word from our bishop about reopening the Episcopal churches in Maryland.   

Found a good reason that RCL, including three X ships, are still planning on cruising in Alaska this summer:

https://vancouversun.com/investing/cppib-down-1b-on-ill-timed-royal-caribbean-cruises-investment-filings-suggest/wcm/188ac94c-dbd2-4545-8e78-de9cf3e615b6/

Canada (pensions) is a major stockholder in RCL.

Easy for CCL to cancel all their brands, harder for RCL.

Marc

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Found a good reason that RCL, including three X ships, are still planning on cruising in Alaska this summer:

https://vancouversun.com/investing/cppib-down-1b-on-ill-timed-royal-caribbean-cruises-investment-filings-suggest/wcm/188ac94c-dbd2-4545-8e78-de9cf3e615b6/

Marc

Marc,

Look at the video that Heather posted above. Alaska is NOT happening.
It doesn't matter that the Canada Pension Plan is part owner, it isn't happening.

Also one has to undergo a 14 Day quarantine to enter BC.

The next problem is no cruise line has ordered any supplies/food at this point. The orders have to be placed roughly 88 days before departure. I have personal knowledge on this.
88 Days from today is August 10th at this point.

So does this sound like cruises to Alaska is a go?

• Like 2

Maybe at some point in time a cruise line will offer a limited no-port-stop cruise around Alaska.  This area is truly beautiful even from the ship one could get close access with scenic bays and glaciers.  Cruising through the inner passage and maybe around Aleutian Islands too.  Wildlife and scenery without leaving the ship.  Stand on open decks with masks (or your balcony) and social distancing.  Maybe 50% passenger capacity.  Any interest??

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

TThe restaurants can now open at 50% capacity and the same goes for other retail establishments.   Still no word on opening gyms.   We are also waiting for word from our bishop about reopening the Episcopal churches in Maryland.   

Depends where you are in MD. Local officials can and are being more restrictive. I'm in a split Baltimore City/County (me) zip code. Baltimore City is still Stay-At-Home as not enough tests. Baltimore County did not open restaurants or salons or houses of worship. Is allowing retail curb side pick up only also citing not enough testing ability.

Montgomery County and Prince George's County also retaining Stay-At-Home.

Howard County only allowing 10 folk for inside worship but encouraging out doors, no restaurant dine in, only 1 customer in a salon at a time, retail curb side pick up.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

56 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe at some point in time a cruise line will offer a limited no-port-stop cruise around Alaska.  This area is truly beautiful even from the ship one could get close access with scenic bays and glaciers.  Cruising through the inner passage and maybe around Aleutian Islands too.  Wildlife and scenery without leaving the ship.  Stand on open decks with masks (or your balcony) and social distancing.  Maybe 50% passenger capacity.  Any interest??

Yea, I am in! Those ports-of-call drain your wallet quickly!

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

While it is nice to get off the cruise ship. For myself, If we do a Hawaii, Alaska or Caribbean cruise I dont really need to get off the ship. We are to do a Alaska cruise next June. Three reasons we are doing the cruise. Joining British friends celebrating their wedding anniversary, ziplining Icy Straits Point and seeing Millie after its revolution.

13 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Sorry, but no.  It will not happen this year 100% guaranteed.

13 hours ago, mrlevin said:

...still planning on cruising in Alaska this summer

I agree with the others. What you characterize as "still planning on cruising", I characterize as "haven't yet cancelled".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

While it is nice to get off the cruise ship. For myself, If we do a Hawaii, Alaska or Caribbean cruise I dont really need to get off the ship. We are to do a Alaska cruise next June. Three reasons we are doing the cruise. Joining British friends celebrating their wedding anniversary, ziplining Icy Straits Point and seeing Millie after its revolution.

You don't get off the ship on a Hawaiian cruise? Really?

Alaska has done a commendable job containing covid-19 and it seems unlikely, to virtually impossible to think that they would jeopardize this success until this virus is contained. And yet, as unconscionable and absurd as it is, Celebrity is still promoting and booking July cruises to Alaska. What is wrong with the management of RCL and Celebrity? Do they really believe that this comes remotely close to good business ethics? Taking your money for something they can't provide. And who would even be so naïve to book this? I don't care what kind of an "optimistic, glass half-full" kind of person you think you are, it is ludicrous to believe it's remotely possible.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard1s said:

And who would even be so naïve to book this?

Unfortunately, there are many who don't follow CC or cruise news generally. If they see a well known company like Celebrity offering an Alaskan cruise in July, they have no reason to believe it won't happen. Heck, there are still people on CC who seem to believe that cruising will restart in a matter of weeks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Cruise ships are not allowed to sail within 50 miles of the Aleutian Islands due to the creation of an Area To Be Avoided (ATBA) created a few years ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

You don't get off the ship on a Hawaiian cruise? Really?

What I said was I really dont need to get off the ship. I live in Washington state. Hawaii to me is like the Caribbean to people living on the East Coast. I think we have done at least 4 Hawaii/Vancouver cruise, not sure how many times we have done land trips to Hawaii. Our last Hawaii cruise was about 2 years ago. We've been to all the larger island. We went 3 days early to Oahu. This time we did something new. We went to Kualoa Ranch, it was great. Celebrity was tendering in Maui, so we stayed onboard. We were going to go ashore, but the store we wanted to go to had closed (Life is Good). We did get off in Kona to walk to Starbucks. I got off the ship to visit friends that had retired to Hilo. We stayed over night in Vancouver BC and took the train to Seattle. We had never taken the train from Vancouver to Seattle it was nice.

I've done multiple trips to Hawaii both land and cruises and I think Hawaii beaches are one if the nicest in the world. 

We have a couple of regular things we do. On Kaui we love driving north to Hana lei then South to have lunch at brennekes broiler,then hang out at the grand Hyatt Kaui.

On big island we love to do the chain of craters drive all the way down to the end of the island.

On Oahu we've started to drive around to check out other areas besides Waikiki. The Japan temple was a real find. 

I find the nature and beachesand resorts  on the Hawaiian islands far superior to any of the Caribbean islands and agree on a Caribbean cruise we stay onboard. The Hawaiian islands well rent a car and just drive to enjoy the beaches,nature,and beautiful resorts.