Galapagos: Current Challenges, Returning to "Normal"??!!

On 10/2/2020 at 8:33 AM, clo said:

Silversea is comparable to that. I have no idea about the price.

I recently booked the Silver Origin for December, 2021. I also looked at the Flora. The inclusions (pre & post hotels, airfare, amenities, ports, etc.) were virtually identical. Our price on the Origin was $55.00 more per person than the same cruise on Flora. I have experience with Silversea and like their product and that’s what sealed the deal for me.

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, deec said:

I think Viking as just canceled all Galapagos trips "for the foreseeable future"

I believe they were actually chartering a vessel for their new "Expedition" offerings,  instead of using one of their own ships. I seriously wonder if they were having licensing issues since the regulations are very strict, and no new licenses are being issued.

• 2 months later...

Just starting to research Galapagos touring.   I am familiar with Celebrity, and know about Silversea, but not some of the other, smaller 'yachts'.   I think I would be more comfortable going with those two, since they pretty much take care of you from the time you land in Ecuador until you depart there.

However, the prices are pretty steep, and might instead consider a "land based hotel tour", with daily boat excursions to various islands, and return to the same base.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?   And can anyone recommend a good place to compare these 'local tours?

Thanks for any info...BTW, I was planning on going in 2022...when would be the best time of year?

Are there any "don't miss" spots?  My usual travel agents do not have personal experience, so I can't rely upon them for info...they'll just read what I can read.  I need people who have been there, and know it fairly well....

We are planning to book Silversea Origin for a cruise in October. Anyone know what city we fly into and out of from the US? Weather in October? What to wear? Should we fly in a day before the cruise? Where to get Covid test that’s required to come back to the US from Ecuador? Sorry for all the questions. Any help is appreciated! Thanks 

1 hour ago, Deb1024 said:

We are planning to book Silversea Origin for a cruise in October. Anyone know what city we fly into and out of from the US? Weather in October? What to wear? Should we fly in a day before the cruise? Where to get Covid test that’s required to come back to the US from Ecuador? Sorry for all the questions. Any help is appreciated! Thanks 

The cities you can fly from can vary so you'll need a TA or SS rep. 

Weather:

Galapagos Weather in October
In October, the Galapagos Islands average maximum temperatures are around 77 degrees Fahrenheit or 25 degrees Celsius, and the average minimum temperatures are around 66 degrees Fahrenheit or 19 degrees Celsius.Oct 16, 2018

Galapagos Islands Planning your Trip in October - Weather ...

The trip we wound up canceling had us booked two nights pre and a day room at the end. Does their site not show you this.

On 2/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, bob brown said:

Just starting to research Galapagos touring.   I am familiar with Celebrity, and know about Silversea, but not some of the other, smaller 'yachts'.   I think I would be more comfortable going with those two, since they pretty much take care of you from the time you land in Ecuador until you depart there.

However, the prices are pretty steep, and might instead consider a "land based hotel tour", with daily boat excursions to various islands, and return to the same base.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?   And can anyone recommend a good place to compare these 'local tours?

Thanks for any info...BTW, I was planning on going in 2022...when would be the best time of year?

Are there any "don't miss" spots?  My usual travel agents do not have personal experience, so I can't rely upon them for info...they'll just read what I can read.  I need people who have been there, and know it fairly well....

On 2/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, bob brown said:

For a land based tour try galakiwi dot com.  They have great tours and are a great company.

We went with Celebrity on the 15 night including Machu Picchu and they did an outstanding job.