HAL plans to lay off 2,000 employees

DaveSJ711

Its sad to hear, but it makes sense.  If the company is not allowed to operate for the next 2 1/2 months, they can't afford to keep all their staff on the payroll during the shut-down.

I hope there's a place for them to return to when this mess is over.

• Like 4

As I said in another post on CCL layoffs;   “And so it begins!  Restructuring, mergers, etc, etc, etc.  Expect the Cruise industry to be consolidated, Ships to be decommissioned, Jobs eliminated, Employees laid off, Services cut.  Sadly, Cruising may never be the same.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Probably includes the two employees processing all of our refunds....

With respect, I can understand you are concerned about refunds, but thousands of people out of work, many with families to feed, is serious on another scale.

Edited by DFD1
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, DFD1 said:

With respect, I can understand you are concerned about refunds, but thousands of people out of work, many with families to feed, is serious on another scale.

Actually over 30 million are unemployed during this disaster and while they all deserve our sympathies, we still want our money returned.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Lots of job furloughs and layoffs in Miami as well, and at Princess in LA.  Sad day for Carnival Corp.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242735236.html

I expect some consolidation moving forward.  Perhaps the Princess LA office closing and consolidated with either HAL in Seattle or Carnival in Miami.  Hopefully the Princess brand will survive, but I'm doubtful its stand-alone office will.  

7 minutes ago, eroller said:

Perhaps the Princess LA office closing and consolidated with either HAL in Seattle or Carnival in Miami.  

When the HAL/Princess/etc. Group was formed with Mr. Kruse at its head, I wondered why have an office in Santa Clarita and one in Seattle.  Made little sense when it happened; makes no sense now.  President Schwarz of Princess Cruises:  my suggestion is to update your resume.  If Ashford is history, why would she not also find herself in the same position?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When the HAL/Princess/etc. Group was formed with Mr. Kruse at its head, I wondered why have an office in Santa Clarita and one in Seattle.  Made little sense when it happened; makes no sense now.  President Schwarz of Princess Cruises:  my suggestion is to update your resume.  If Ashford is history, why would she not also find herself in the same position?

I think you are probably right.  Carnival Corp. just built a state of the art office in Seattle for the HAL Group, so it would absolutely make sense to move Princess there and consolidate.  I hate the idea of people losing their jobs which always happens in these situations, but right now it's survival mode for the cruise lines.  

18 minutes ago, eroller said:

I hate the idea of people losing their jobs which always happens in these situations 

I do as well.  Many good people with excellent skills and abilities are lost to the organization that has to "cut them loose".  I have been through "reduction in force" situations as an educator due to failures of local tax levies and/or an Ohio General Assembly that continues to violate an Ohio Supreme Court ruling for it to equitably fund education in my State.  Educators that provided a quality education for their students were RIF.

If I read the Fed's Chairman's comments correctly today, the longer that skilled workers are not able to work, their skills diminish.

As President George Herbert Walker Bush once said:  "We are in deep doo-doo."

My career was in the IT industry.  They have been laying off people, lots of them, for the past 25 years.   Very sad to see it happen to anyone.   Especially under the current circumstances.

Edited by iancal

Terrible news for all involved.  These are just the ones we heard of   i am sure people daily at all these lines are being let go or terminated.  This is how big Corporations roll.  No profits equals no good.

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

According to reports I have read she has dona a great job at Princess.  Wonder if they would move her to Sesttle to run both?

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Schwarz and Donald both deserved to be on the sidewalk back in March, and there's no sign they've upped their game since. 

16 hours ago, eroller said:

Lots of job furloughs and layoffs in Miami as well, and at Princess in LA.  Sad day for Carnival Corp.  

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242735236.html

I expect some consolidation moving forward.  Perhaps the Princess LA office closing and consolidated with either HAL in Seattle or Carnival in Miami.  Hopefully the Princess brand will survive, but I'm doubtful its stand-alone office will.  

Sadly, My personal opinion is that HAL will not survive and will be merged into one of the other brands.  I also fully expect that the S Class, and possibly the R Class ships will all be retired.

I would like to see the S and R class ships be reconditioned and be the prime ships for HAL more in the model of Oceania, then I would merge the Bigger HAL boats  into CCL's other mass market brands and retire some of the older ships from them.  This would shrink the HAL fleet substantially, but  their repositioning in the marketplace would likely be profitable, given their customer makeup, and give them the opportunity to survive as a premium brand.   But,  That is just my humble opinion. I don't think that will actually happen.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, frankc98376 said:

According to reports I have read she has dona a great job at Princess.  Wonder if they would move her to Sesttle to run both?

Yes, and contrary to Orlando Ashford, most of the innovations she has introduced on Princess in the last few years were extremely well received by the passengers and continue to be a success.