Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

In Memory Of A Special Person

Many of you know Ken Rees who has been on numerous Crystal Cruises and for the past several years was one of the Destination Lecturers.

Ken passed away yesterday 

We always enjoyed each of his lectures which covered the history of each port, provided things we never knew and also gave us great ideas on how to spend our time.  They were also filled with humor and wit.  

Ken also was involved in many other ways from being a panelist on the LIar's Club to being a Moderator of Ocean Views.

He had an illustrious career.

On a personal note I always learned something from Ken at each lecture or over dinner or a walk on the Promenade Deck.

He was a dear friend and I am just thankful that Anne Marie and I had the opportunity to get to know Ken and his lovely wife Lynn.

Ken and Lynn are part of what many of us refer to as the Crystal Family.

May Ken rest in peace and may his memories live on forever.

Keith

Thanks for letting us know. How sad. My fondest memory of Ken is out by the pool in the heat and humidity of the equator in the British judges robe, including the wig, doing the equator crossing ceremony. 😢

Patty

So, so sorry about Ken's passing.

larry and I enjoyed many sailings And wonderful times  with ken and Lynne.

RIP my friend.

Nancy

I am very sorry to hear this.  He will definitely be missed.

Thank you for the update. We always looked forward to Ken's presentations. He will be missed.

The only part of this year's WC (other than the way it ended) that disappointed us was that Ken was not the Destination lecturer. We really enjoyed his humour and style. He will definitely be missed.

We are very sorry about Ken’s passing. He was a wonderful moderator of the Ocean views and an interesting lecturer. We have shared good conversations with him and his wife and we took an interesting excursion in Madagascar to see the lemurs, which unfortunately did not allow themselves to be seen.

R.I.P

Ivi

Such sad news.   We were so fortunate to have him as a lecturer on board our Iceland to Norway cruise last summer.   We will really miss his skill, wit and insight.   This will be a tough one to replace.   Condolences to his wife.   He was a really good guy.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Many of you know Ken Rees who has been on numerous Crystal Cruises and for the past several years was one of the Destination Lecturers.

Ken passed away yesterday 

We always enjoyed each of his lectures which covered the history of each port, provided things we never knew and also gave us great ideas on how to spend our time.  They were also filled with humor and wit.  

Ken also was involved in many other ways from being a panelist on the LIar's Club to being a Moderator of Ocean Views.

He had an illustrious career.

On a personal note I always learned something from Ken at each lecture or over dinner or a walk on the Promenade Deck.

He was a dear friend and I am just thankful that Anne Marie and I had the opportunity to get to know Ken and his lovely wife Lynn.

Ken and Lynn are part of what many of us refer to as the Crystal Family.

May Ken rest in peace and may his memories live on forever.

Keith

Keith

People might appreciate seeing the nice photo of the 4 of you just over a year ago.

https://www.followourtrips.com/world-cruise-2019/day-76-day-70-crystal-serenity

Does anyone have a recent link to his bio in Reflections?

Edited by crickette

This is a shock to me.  Did anyone have any idea he was not well?

Roy

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

This is a shock to me.  Did anyone have any idea he was not well?

Roy

Yes. But not terribly public about it.

27 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

RIP - thanks for the memories 

Thanks Stickman.  Nice tribute.

Roy, 

In generally Ken kept this close to the vest.  

Here are a few photos of Ken.

Ken giving a destination talk.

P1020638.thumb.jpg.24d2183f72d0ac1e100b85bb2d548c80.jpg

Ken, moderating Ocean Views.  This was a panel discussion which would typically be held on the World Cruise where there would be three to four panelists.  Ken with input from some guests and Cruise Director would develop a set of questions which covered several World Affairs Topics.  After the question was read the guests would select one of several answers using hand held devices allowing the results to be shared.  The panel would discuss the issue often taking different points of view and the guests would vote again.

DSC_5414.jpg.20ceac1ba69f203328701cd38f71381d.jpg

DSC_5420.jpg.319f658f8f7eaee480357825094397aa.jpg

DSC_5425.jpg.b60d628faa1f0fd80a576fbc9d4e75ab.jpg

DSC_5426.jpg.1b6f26c153b9cf949f5ec61c51d89fe9.jpg

It took a special group of people to have a Liar's Club.  Ken was one of those special people who would appear as one of the Liar's.  

crickette..Thank you for finding the photo of the four of us having dinner.  I can hear Ken's voice as I write this and think back to several conversations we would have.

There was so much to learn from Ken including the way news used to be covered back in the day when there was time to digest what one had seen before reacting to it.  I remember Ken saying by having the extra time to file a news report it made a difference from time-to-time how the news was reported.  Just like in other situations having time to reflect can allow someone to come to a different conclusion or see something from a different perspective.

img-4018_orig.thumb.jpg.6d37774bbd748039889b2ba993edbf59.jpg

Keith

Some of you may have seen a tribute to Ken and Lynn.  I got it through Pastor Voosen but it originated with Rabbie Morrie.  Do you think the good Rabbi would object to it being shared here?

Roy

Roy, I am sure the Rabbi would be fine with us posting his note.    It  has already made the rounds in a number of e-mails over the past 24 hours.

From Rabbi Morrie:

Dear Friends,
Our hearts are heavy. We learned that Ken Rees passed away last night, Wednesday, May 13, 2020.  Ken struggled valiantly for years against an illness which ultimately overpowered him.  We hasten to share this sad news as Lynne has requested.
Ken and Lynne have been a part of our Crystal community for more than 10 years.  Their friendship, grace and openness endeared them to all of us.  Although not onstage, Lynne played an important part in Ken’s presentations. Indeed, Lynne and Ken were soulmates in every way. 
Ken was articulate and thorough and he enriched many of our Crystal programs, including Destinations, Ocean Views, Liars Club and so much more.  He possessed a brilliant wit. Socially and programmatically and in many other ways, he will be missed. 
Prior to his Crystal involvement, Ken had a stellar career as a news reporter with his great insight and communication skills.  He contributed greatly to the world in which we live.
Lynne and Ken were married for more than 40 years and they were deservedly blessed with a wonderful family, with two children who married ideal mates and three beautiful grandchildren.   
We extend our heartfelt condolences to Lynne and her family on their great loss.  May they find comfort in the memories that they treasure.  We mourn with the Rees family and share in their loss.
May Ken’s memory always be a blessing. 
May he rest in peace.

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Roy, I am sure the Rabbi would be fine with us posting his note.    It  has already made the rounds in a number of e-mails over the past 24 hours.

From Rabbi Morrie:

Dear Friends,
Our hearts are heavy. We learned that Ken Rees passed away last night, Wednesday, May 13, 2020.  Ken struggled valiantly for years against an illness which ultimately overpowered him.  We hasten to share this sad news as Lynne has requested.
Ken and Lynne have been a part of our Crystal community for more than 10 years.  Their friendship, grace and openness endeared them to all of us.  Although not onstage, Lynne played an important part in Ken’s presentations. Indeed, Lynne and Ken were soulmates in every way. 
Ken was articulate and thorough and he enriched many of our Crystal programs, including Destinations, Ocean Views, Liars Club and so much more.  He possessed a brilliant wit. Socially and programmatically and in many other ways, he will be missed. 
Prior to his Crystal involvement, Ken had a stellar career as a news reporter with his great insight and communication skills.  He contributed greatly to the world in which we live.
Lynne and Ken were married for more than 40 years and they were deservedly blessed with a wonderful family, with two children who married ideal mates and three beautiful grandchildren.   
We extend our heartfelt condolences to Lynne and her family on their great loss.  May they find comfort in the memories that they treasure.  We mourn with the Rees family and share in their loss.
May Ken’s memory always be a blessing. 
May he rest in peace.

A beautiful and deserved tribute to Ken and Lynne from Rabbi Morrie.

Ken was a popular and valuable member of the Crystal Family and enhanced the experience of so many onboard, but I remember him mostly for his warmth, kindness and sense of humor.

May he Rest In Peace, and may Lynne and his family find comfort.

Ricki

Mom, Dad and I spent many a lovely cruise with Ken and Lynne. He is a great loss to the Crystal family.