Lift and shift or wait?

ozziebound

We have a six night equinox Caribbean sailing October 2020.... we would like to go on it if it sails. However I’m starting to doubt whether they can really make it happen and also thinking about flights from Vancouver, hotels etc. So I’m exploring lift and shift a bit.

Here’s the question.... if X cancels before we lift and shift we just get whatever refund/credit option they give us and our lift and shift opportunity disappears and our $1100 OBC and four perks disappear, right?

Seems logical

That’s the game of chicken we’re playing?

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

If you were happy with your pricing I'd take the "bird in the hand" and jump on the Lift and Shift now.  You're gambling that you'll get the same or better with 125% FCC, let alone that much OBC and 4 perks.  I just did a Lift and Shift on my June 21, 2020 Med cruise (which I can't believe STILL isn't cancelled!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozziebound said:

Here’s the question.... if X cancels before we lift and shift we just get whatever refund/credit option they give us and our lift and shift opportunity disappears and our $1100 OBC and four perks disappear, right?   Adam

We were able to get the lift and shift using FCCs we were issued for our Celebrity canceled cruise.  🙂

• Like 1

If you were happy with your pricing I'd take the "bird in the hand" and jump on the Lift and Shift now.  You're gambling that you'll get the same or better with 125% FCC, let alone that much OBC and 4 perks.  I just did a Lift and Shift on my June 21, 2020 Med cruise (which I can't believe STILL isn't cancelled!).

Yeah you’re probably right. But our six night equinox Caribbean doesn’t have many similar sailings a year later... best I’ve found are:
9 night equinox and i can ask if we can pay the difference between 6 and 9 nights
10 night constellation and again pay the difference
11 night constellation (but both of these only have royal suite available not celebrity suite which is what we currently have (first time in a [real] suite... we were/are looking forward to it!)
or... get this, five nights on the infinity, also only royal suite available, but I’m thinking i could ask my TA to ask X if we can keep our price taking a five night instead of six night and getting an RS instead of CS!

hmmm....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, ozziebound said:

Yeah you’re probably right. But our six night equinox Caribbean doesn’t have many similar sailings a year later... best I’ve found are:
9 night equinox and i can ask if we can pay the difference between 6 and 9 nights
11 night constellation (but both of these only have royal suite available not celebrity suite which is what we currently have (first time in a [real] suite... we were/are looking forward to it!)
or... get this, five nights on the infinity, also only royal suite available, but I’m thinking i could ask my TA to ask X if we can keep our price taking a five night instead of six night and getting an RS instead of CS!

hmmm....

You can’t Lift and Shift unless it meets the criteria, which means it has to be 6 nights. You can’t move the booking and expect to pay the difference for more nights and keep your current perks. Can’t happen so it’s a moot point. 

In situations like the OP where there is no direct replacement for the itinerary/ship within the required dates I feel that Celebrity has been making attempts to negotiate solutions on a 1:1 basis so your results may vary.

I have read about people being able to do more nights and paying.  I personally have moved a 10 night Equinox in Sept to a 9 night the following year.   Yes it was at the protected price/perks but my rate this year was at a great deal and is 1/2 of what the rate is on the 9 night for next year so I was happy to give up the night.

The OP should discuss with their TA and come up with a few reasonable proposals on what they would find acceptable and have the TA request from Celebrity and see what could be done.   If this is the route they want to take I'd do it sooner rather than closer to final payment.

Alternatively, you could get your $ back and wait to see what the actual cruise product will be.

Are you all assuming it will be same or nearly the same as before the virus, are you all assuming the advertised ports will be happy to see you?

6 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

Alternatively, you could get your $ back and wait to see what the actual cruise product will be.

Are you all assuming it will be same or nearly the same as before the virus, are you all assuming the advertised ports will be happy to see you?

Different opinion but most people seem to think the cruise experience will be changed reading through the threads. But as we all know time will tell.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:27 AM, Fouremco said:

The sooner you lift and shift, the better your choice of cabins. I see no benefit in waiting.

That was our thinking when we moved an October 2020 cruise to 2021.  We only had 200.00 in it for deposit so it made sense.  Rebooking in 2021 would have cost twice as much.

OP - also remember that if by some miracle they sail this October, it might not be an enjoyable cruise experience with whatever "social distancing" rules they come up with.  And who knows what ports will be open.

32 minutes ago, Doubt It said:

We have been booking after final payment lately (last half dozen cruises) to reduce the likelihood of needing to make changes. This practice might be even more beneficial for booking post-Covid-19 cruises. Look before you leap when and where you can has a nice ring to it.

Personally, I would attempt a lift and shift.  Technically, due to a lack of comparable cruises next year you might not qualify.  But noticing that you are talking about high level suites I suspect Celebrity might be a little more lenient in trying to work with you than perhaps someone sailing in an inside cabin.  Just the way of the world.  I would also advise, if the first agent won't work with you, call again and talk to someone else or ask to speak to a supervisor.  You may get a more favorable answer.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bouhunter said:

That was our thinking when we moved an October 2020 cruise to 2021.  We only had 200.00 in it for deposit so it made sense.  Rebooking in 2021 would have cost twice as much.

OP - also remember that if by some miracle they sail this October, it might not be an enjoyable cruise experience with whatever "social distancing" rules they come up with.  And who knows what ports will be open.

We also moved our October 2020 cruise to October 2021 - Connie out of Venice.  We only had a $50 deposit with free grats and OBC, so it was a no-brainer to switch.  Also our air was not showing any more - either with X or  with the airline.  We, like you, don't know what will happen on the ships.  So waiting until 2021 makes us feel more comfortable.

One more requirement on the Lift and Shift:  the Shift must be to the same ship class.  The only exception I read on Celebrity's site is that certain cruises on Millie can be shifted to an S class ship.

I'm currently booked on Millie, Sept 2020, Trans Pacific.  If I were to decide to use Lift and Shift, I'd be on an S class since Millie won't be sailing that route next year.  However, I've decided not to take that offer - even though I have $$$ obc and all four perks - and will be taking FCC should the Sept 2020 cruise be cancelled by ~X~.  It gives me much more in the way of options for sailings.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:04 PM, CarolRoy said:

We also moved our October 2020 cruise to October 2021 - Connie out of Venice.  We only had a $50 deposit with free grats and OBC, so it was a no-brainer to switch.  Also our air was not showing any more - either with X or  with the airline.  We, like you, don't know what will happen on the ships.  So waiting until 2021 makes us feel more comfortable.

Was your $50 deposit carried over, with no requirement to pay the full deposit ($900+/-)?

My sister and brother in law are on the same $50 deposit deal, but when their L&S came through,, the booking confirmation says they need to pay the deposit by 5:00 PM today.

Final payment date changed to 2021, but not deposit.

Thanks

On 5/17/2020 at 3:13 AM, ozziebound said:

hmmm....

I would think you would have a far better chance of an L&S to a 7-night Caribbean cruise than a 9- 11 night trips and there are plenty of 7 night trips.  I would stay away from the 125% FCC because Celebrity is not letting you combine the FCC with some new offers.  

Good Luck, please let us know the outcome.

We just did the lift and shift for our July 17th Alaska cruise yesterday.  We were Aqua class and had the Aft sunset balcony which I was able to get the same cabin with same 4 perks on the July 9, 2021 sailing.  Our Celebrity Choice airfare was non-refundable and the Celebrity rep we had on the line conferenced in the American Airline rep who explained that I only had until Nov. 6th to use the tickets, gave me the ticket numbers and told me to call American to ask for extension beyond November.  All in all not a bad experience and the Celebrity rep I had on the line was very accommodating.  He even gave me the FCC certificates numbers for our Bahama 2-day cruise we booked in April that was cancelled but we had not received any email from Celebrity yet, but at least I now have those numbers.

8 hours ago, North of 60 said:

Was your $50 deposit carried over, with no requirement to pay the full deposit ($900+/-)?

My sister and brother in law are on the same $50 deposit deal, but when their L&S came through,, the booking confirmation says they need to pay the deposit by 5:00 PM today.

Thanks

Hi. I just did a lift and shift and they took my original $50 deposit and applied it to the 2021 cruise. My confirmation did state the original $900 deposit was due on May 14; however, my TA said that I could just ignore it. That deadline has passed and we are still confirmed. 

21 minutes ago, anna5545 said:

Hi. I just did a lift and shift and they took my original $50 deposit and applied it to the 2021 cruise. My confirmation did state the original $900 deposit was due on May 14; however, my TA said that I could just ignore it. That deadline has passed and we are still confirmed. 

Thanks for the response.

I will pass it along to my Travel Agent.

Have they said they will reissue the guest confirmation with revised deposit terms?

My worry is that the computer system will automatically cancel the booking with no notice.

Chris in Inuvik.

11 hours ago, North of 60 said:

Thanks

Yes, our $50 deposit was carried over.  I am still waiting for a new invoice to be mailed to me.  But when I go on X and pull up the cruise, it shows the new date in 2021.  My personal cruise person at X said it would take a few days for the new invoice to be emailed to me.  Could not resist to book this same cruise with the low deposit with free grats and OBC.

As more guests use lift and shift the less room choice for next year. 

We moved our October cruise this year to September next year. It was actually slightly cheaper so L and S didn’t apply...However, we book RS and PH and very little choice left.

If you are ‘room faddy’ L and S offers a great option to ensure the room you want in (hopefully) a more secure future. Another bonus of using L and S rather than getting your money back is that you still have something to look forward to!

On 5/21/2020 at 6:15 PM, welshwizards said:

Hi all, what is this "lift and shift" you are talking about? We have a cruise booked departing late September but we have decided that even if cruising resumes we would not feel safe sailing. Thank you

Phone X or get your TA to. If there is a comparable cruise next year they will allow you to swap  at your present price or reprice you if the option is cheaper.

Note re perks you have/don’t have can make a difference to overall holiday price so a slightly more expensive new price may be better. I am fairly sure in the U.K. the usual £75 per first two guests is being waived but ask to confirm as we don’t pay this anyway as we are above Elite level...

Hope, like us, you manage to sort.