Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

Additional Ocean Cancellations

This was posted on the Crystal Cruises Website a little while ago.

Keith

BREAKING NEWS

• Cruise Cancellations: Crystal Serenity Voyages From June 26 - August 30, 2020

UPDATED Friday, May 15, 2020 12pm EST  

Crystal continues to closely monitor and evaluate the current COVID-19 situation. Due to temporary closures of European ports, it is with regret that we have made the decision to cancel the following Crystal Cruises (ocean) sailings:

• •Crystal Serenity | June 26, 2020 | 7 Nights | Barcelona to Rome
    • •Crystal Serenity | June 26, 2020 | 14 Nights | Barcelona to Monte
    • •Crystal Serenity | July 3, 2020 | 7 Nights | Rome to Monte Carlo
    • •Crystal Serenity | July 3, 2020 | 28 Nights | Rome to Rome
    • •Crystal Serenity | July 10, 2020 | 9 Nights | Monte Carlo to Venice
    • •Crystal Serenity | July 10, 2020 | 4 Nights | Monte Carlo to Sorrento
    • •Crystal Serenity | July 14, 2020 | 5 Nights | Sorrento to Venice
    • •Crystal Serenity | July 19, 2020 | 12 Nights | Venice to Rome
    • •Crystal Serenity | July 31, 2020 | 9 Nights | Rome to Barcelona
    • •Crystal Serenity | July 31, 2020 | 16 Nights | Rome to Monte Carlo
    • •Crystal Serenity | August 9, 2020 | 7 Nights | Barcelona to Monte
    • •Crystal Serenity | August 9, 2020 | 14 Nights | Barcelona to Rome
    • •Crystal Serenity | August 16, 2020 | 7 Nights | Monte Carlo to Rome
    • •Crystal Serenity | August 23, 2020 | 7 Nights | Rome to Barcelona
    • •Crystal Serenity | August 30, 2020 | 13 Nights | Barcelona to Québec City

We are pleased to provide guests booked on these affected sailings with Credits* equal to 125% of their cruise fare paid, based on fully-paid fare – valid on any Crystal experience (Ocean, River, Yacht or Expedition) embarking through December 31, 2023 - along with a refund of port charges, taxes, and fees, and air and hotel packages booked through Crystal.

We encourage our guests to contact their travel advisor to assist them with rebooking a future Crystal cruise. Full year voyage collections for each Crystal experience – through 2022 are available now to review and our 2023 Ocean collection will be online in early July of this year with 2023 deployments for River, Yacht and Expedition following in due course.

With more than 30 years of cruising to the far reaches of the world, Crystal has a long tradition of implementing and maintaining the highest health and safety policies at sea. While our fleet is paused, the Crystal team is developing new procedures and policies that will support all public health and regulatory requirements and to ensure your next Crystal vacation continues to be not only relaxing and pleasurable but safe and healthy. Details of these new measures and initiatives will be available on the Crystal website very soon. Please know that our guests’ and crews’ safety is our number one priority and we will resume service only when our expert team as well as global health and government authorities indicate that it is safe to do so.

We will be communicating these changes to our booked guests and their travel advisors directly. On behalf of everyone at Crystal, we thank our guests for their understanding and patience as we navigate this ever-changing situation, and we look forward to welcoming them on a future voyage.

*The 125% Credits option is comprised of two coupons: a 100% Future Cruise Payment (FCP) representing cruise fare paid, and a 25% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) bonus discount. Credit coupons may be used separately or combined on any non-fully paid, future booking. Credits may be used with Crystal’s 2-for-1 Fares and Book Now Savings.

Future Cruise Payment (FCP) may be applied to multiple future bookings and may be used towards deposit requirement on your new booking.

Future Cruise Credit (FCC) may be applied to one booking as a savings; is not available to incentive groups, or guests under charter contracts; not combinable with any other savings – including Flex Fares, Best Available Fares and Advance Purchase Savings; non-transferable, non-refundable, and cannot be used in lieu of the deposit requirement on your new booking.

Note: If an affected guest is unable to redeem their Credits by December 31, 2023, they may request a refund of the original cruise fare paid. We ask that guests please allow up to 90 days from receipt of their request for refunds to be processed.

To request a refund, please visit crystalcruises.com/requestrefund to submit the online form beginning May 15, 2020.

Thanks Keith

Hopefully Crystal will announce August cancellations for Symphony (also) VERY SOON. 

It is unfortunate that these cancellations do not allow passsengers to opt for the 100% refund of cruise fare.

8 minutes ago, crickette said:

It is unfortunate that these cancellations do not allow passsengers to opt for the 100% refund of cruise fare.

I believe they do...

Note: If an affected guest is unable to redeem their Credits by December 31, 2023, they may request a refund of the original cruise fare paid. We ask that guests please allow up to 90 days from receipt of their request for refunds to be processed.

To request a refund, please visit crystalcruises.com/requestrefund to submit the online form beginning May 15, 2020.

Nancy

They sure are less than forthcoming about the opportunity to get a refund in the short run!

41 minutes ago, crickette said:

They do!

To request a refund, please visit crystalcruises.com/requestrefund to submit the online form beginning May 15, 2020.

42 minutes ago, edgee said:

They sure are less than forthcoming about the opportunity to get a refund in the short run!

Yes, like all other travel related companies, Crystal is taking the "low road" by intentionally making the refund option less obvious in their communication.  I hate to burst your bubbles, but Crystal is like any other profit driven machine.  They don't really care about you, despite what their high production value videos attempt to fool you into thinking it.

Looks like Symphony is on the way to be cancelled as all of July and August late this evening switched to ‘Call for Availability’. 

If I'm understanding this correctly, Crystal took away the option of 100% refund plus 25% fcc(like it did for previous cancelled cruises)and it's now 100% fcp plus a 25%fcc or 100% refund if you can't redeem the credits before December 31, 2023? Does that mean that you have to wait till December 31, 2023 to receive a cash refund?

You can still get a cash refund, without the 25% FCC.  But you have to actively request it through your TA.  Or, as the last line in the May 15 cancellation notice says, "To request a refund, please visit crystalcruises.com/requestrefund to submit the online form beginning May 15, 2020."  The 100% FCP is the default unless you request the refund.

1 hour ago, bonnieg said:

If I'm understanding this correctly, Crystal took away the option of 100% refund plus 25% fcc(like it did for previous cancelled cruises)and it's now 100% fcp plus a 25%fcc or 100% refund if you can't redeem the credits before December 31, 2023? Does that mean that you have to wait till December 31, 2023 to receive a cash refund?

You can always receive a full cash refund (within 90 days) for a cancelled cruise if you choose -- Crystal always has to have that be one of the options, they just don't have to list it first.

Vince

57 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

Or, as the last line in the May 15 cancellation notice says, "To request a refund, please visit crystalcruises.com/requestrefund to submit the online form beginning May 15, 2020."  The 100% FCP is the default unless you request the refund.

This is a similar protocol that we've seen for some booked international airline flights later this year that have already been canceled by the airline. The default, online link takes one to a "request-for-voucher" page. I had to hunt for it, but there were links to a "request-full-refund" page. Once entered, I received an almost instantaneous email from the airline that stated "We registered your request for a refund. You will receive confirmation when our support team processes your refund. This may take several weeks due to the increased volume of requests."

Rob

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question, but what's the difference between FCP and FCC e.g. what's the advantage of one over the other?

23 minutes ago, fiftytoo said:

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question, but what's the difference between FCP and FCC e.g. what's the advantage of one over the other?

As per the announcement - FCP is a lot more flexible than FCC as to how it can be used eg for deposits and split across multiple bookings 

Future Cruise Payment (FCP) may be applied to multiple future bookings and may be used towards deposit requirement on your new booking.

Future Cruise Credit (FCC) may be applied to one booking as a savings; is not available to incentive groups, or guests under charter contracts; not combinable with any other savings – including Flex Fares, Best Available Fares and Advance Purchase Savings; non-transferable, non-refundable, and cannot be used in lieu of the deposit requirement on your new booking.

Thanks Stickman.    I wonder then if a booking made using FCP is commissionable to the agent?   I have read  that FCC bookings are but don't recall seeing anything about commissions to agents for  FCP.  Not really my business but I don't want the agent to miss out after all the extra work this is causing.    Looks like a FCP could be used to pay for an entire new booking provided the amount is equal or greater than the new booking in full - what would happen to a refund of that then in the event of cancellation either by the passenger or by Crystal?  And what would happen if the amount was greater than the new cruise i.e. would it be given as OBC or just forfeited?

9 hours ago, fiftytoo said:

Thanks Stickman.    I wonder then if a booking made using FCP is commissionable to the agent?   I have read  that FCC bookings are but don't recall seeing anything about commissions to agents for  FCP.  Not really my business but I don't want the agent to miss out after all the extra work this is causing.    Looks like a FCP could be used to pay for an entire new booking provided the amount is equal or greater than the new booking in full - what would happen to a refund of that then in the event of cancellation either by the passenger or by Crystal?  And what would happen if the amount was greater than the new cruise i.e. would it be given as OBC or just forfeited?

My understanding is that the cancellation options start over again on the new booking. In effect, cash already paid is simply being applied to a new cruise. 

As regards your second point, the balance of FCP can be used for a further cruise, or refunded when it expires. I think the FCP is a very fair new methodolgy, when linked to the additional 25% FCC.

I am a little lost, so excuse me if this question has already been answered. If Crystal cancels a cruise, they will have to refund 100% of the money if the client wishes so right? In addition to this is there any other benefit?

Ivi

Symphony July 3 cruise was cancelled overnight. Same letter as Serenity announcement.

44 minutes ago, latsyrc said:

Symphony July 3 cruise was cancelled overnight. Same letter as Serenity announcement.

All July cruises for sure including the Symphony one we originally booked for July 25.

Keith

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

I am a little lost, so excuse me if this question has already been answered. If Crystal cancels a cruise, they will have to refund 100% of the money if the client wishes so right? In addition to this is there any other benefit?

Ivi

Ivi,

Right now when Crystal cancels the cruise these are the options for the guests on the voyages and this comes from the Crystal Cruises web site.

First option is a 125% credit.

The 125% Credits option is comprised of two coupons: a 100% Future Cruise Payment (FCP) representing cruise fare paid, and a 25% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) bonus discount. Credit coupons may be used separately or combined on any non-fully paid, future booking. Credits may be used with Crystal’s 2-for-1 Fares and Book Now Savings.

Ivi, other option is to take a refund.

Keith

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

All July cruises for sure including the Symphony one we originally booked for July 25.

Keith

I didn't receive the email yet re July 3. What about August, is it cancelled as well?

Separately, I noticed that July rivers except for Mahler on the Danube have all gone too "Call for Availability".

Edited by TER777

6 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I didn't receive the email yet re July 3. What about August, is it cancelled as well?

Separately, I noticed that July rivers except for Mahler on the Danube have all gone too "Call for Availability".

Not sure about August but July 25 cruise was cancelled for sure.

With Call for Availability which you had mentioned in the earlier post including August I suspect letters will go out on those voyages in due course.

Interesting about selected Mahler cruises still listed.  

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

Ivi,

Right now when Crystal cancels the cruise these are the options for the guests on the voyages and this comes from the Crystal Cruises web site.

First option is a 125% credit.

The 125% Credits option is comprised of two coupons: a 100% Future Cruise Payment (FCP) representing cruise fare paid, and a 25% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) bonus discount. Credit coupons may be used separately or combined on any non-fully paid, future booking. Credits may be used with Crystal’s 2-for-1 Fares and Book Now Savings.

Ivi, other option is to take a refund.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I understand the option if you decide not to take a refund.

Now, If you take the refund there is no FCC for 25% in addition? It is just your money 100% refunded although Crystal is cancelling the cruise?

Ivi

4 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks Keith. I understand the option if you decide not to take a refund.

Now, If you take the refund there is no FCC for 25% in addition? It is just your money 100% refunded although Crystal is cancelling the cruise?

Ivi

Ivi,  yes, 100% refund.

Keith