Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

Additional Ocean Cancellations

Recommended Posts

Can someone explain how there is an admin fee on a cruise that Crystal cancels - regardless if the passenger cancels before Crystal makes the cancelation announcement?  .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, almostretired said:

Can someone explain how there is an admin fee on a cruise that Crystal cancels - regardless if the passenger cancels before Crystal makes the cancelation announcement?  .  

I do not think that is the case

On the river cruise cancellation memo IN TEENY TINY PRINT ON THE BOTTOM it gives you the option of a refund.  It says nothing about an administration fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the passenger cancels before Regent announces that they are cancelling, I think the passenger is stuck with the original terms. Any events after that have no bearing on it.  The admin fee is included in your 100% FCC under Regent Reassurance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SusieQft said:

If the passenger cancels before Regent announces that they are cancelling, I think the passenger is stuck with the original terms. Any events after that have no bearing on it.  The admin fee is included in your 100% FCC under Regent Reassurance.

Confused here.....Isn't this the Crystal board?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mudhen said:

Confused here.....Isn't this the Crystal board?

Sorry, I guess I am the one who was confused.  But the same terms apply at Crystal.  If you cancel before Crystal does, you are stuck with your original cancellation terms.  And if you have a 25% or 100% FCC as part of that deal, there is not a separate admin fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cancelled a cruise in April sailing date sept. I was told by my travel agent that the terms & condition as my original invoice Oct 2018 were no longer the same... These were replaced by new terms as the event covid19 took over...

I was first told I would lose all monies paid ( only deposit paid at that time) so I thought about it & questioned this ...my travel agent got back to me & said if I cancelled now it's monies paid returned less admin fee of 35% which could be use towards another booking made same day as I cancelled..or the monies paid no loss or fee if I cancelled & rebooked another... I did cancell & rebook for 2022 ..whew hope that makes sense 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My comments above were for US bookings.  The cancellation terms in the UK may be different from the US.  Or if you were past the penalty date but not the final payment date, that might explain what you described.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Sorry, I guess I am the one who was confused.  But the same terms apply at Crystal.  If you cancel before Crystal does, you are stuck with your original cancellation terms.  And if you have a 25% or 100% FCC as part of that deal, there is not a separate admin fee.

Is that a legal opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Sorry, I guess I am the one who was confused.  But the same terms apply at Crystal.  If you cancel before Crystal does, you are stuck with your original cancellation terms.  

 

That is pretty much the standard practice for all lines. If you cancel before they do, then the cancellation conditions in effect at the time of cancellation apply. Our office has had a few like that and the lines involved declined requests to reconsider the terms "after the fact".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, bitob said:

I do not think that is the case

On the river cruise cancellation memo IN TEENY TINY PRINT ON THE BOTTOM it gives you the option of a refund.  It says nothing about an administration fee.

The fact that Crystal continues to make the refund option harder to read, instead of clearly listing as "OPTION 3," they are still taking the low road.  I'm afraid as long as they continue to do so, I will continue to treat the company as that, just a company.  I guess everyone is entitled to an option, but I just can't understand the psychology of people who still consider Crystal as some sort of a family cult.

Edited by Psoque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

 

That is pretty much the standard practice for all lines. If you cancel before they do, then the cancellation conditions in effect at the time of cancellation apply. Our office has had a few like that and the lines involved declined requests to reconsider the terms "after the fact".

I agree with this fact.  When we book a cruise with Crystal or any other cruise line, we agree to their terms.  I'm glad that Crystal cancelled our September 2020 cruise now, instead of at last minute, which they could have.  However, none of us agreed to let Crystal decide how long they can hold on to our money if/when a cruise is cancelled.  Unfortunately, there was nothing in the cruise contract that addressed it.  Hopefully, after all the dust settles, and if Crystal or any other cruise lines survive this, there should be some sort of an agreement about the terms of refund and its timing when we sign our next cruise contract.  I hope this happens voluntarily by the cruise lines.  If this does not happen, there would be a need for something like the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau that protects the customers of travel products.  Or does Consumer Financial Protection Bureau already have jurisdiction over the cruise refund matters?

Edited by Psoque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, almostretired said:

Is that a legal opinion?

No, just based on what my TA told me, plus observation of how my 25% FCC + 75% cash refund was handled.  If I had waited one more week, I could have chosen 100% cash or 125% FCC.  Of course I was stuck with the 25/75 deal (and I did ask if I could switch).  No separate admin penalty on any of the above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Psoque said:

I agree with this fact.  When we book a cruise with Crystal or any other cruise line, we agree to their terms.  I'm glad that Crystal cancelled our September 2020 cruise now, instead of at last minute, which they could have.  However, none of us agreed to let Crystal decide how long they can hold on to our money if/when a cruise is cancelled.  Unfortunately, there was nothing in the cruise contract that addressed it.  Hopefully, after all the dust settles, and if Crystal or any other cruise lines survive this, there should be some sort of an agreement about the terms of refund and its timing when we sign our next cruise contract.  I hope this happens voluntarily by the cruise lines.  If this does not happen, there would be a need for something like the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau that protects the customers of travel products.  Or does Consumer Financial Protection Bureau already have jurisdiction over the cruise refund matters?

Any new terms are likely to be toward the detriment of the consumer.  (ie no more refunds)  Like  --

 

" In the case of a Pandemic Force Majeure event, the cruise lines reserves the right to cancel the cruise.  When cancellation occurs after the final payment, the passenger is entitled to receive 100% of the cruise value in a future cruise which may be used up to 2 years from the date of the cancellation."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Any new terms are likely to be toward the detriment of the consumer.  (ie no more refunds)  Like  --

 

" In the case of a Pandemic Force Majeure event, the cruise lines reserves the right to cancel the cruise.  When cancellation occurs after the final payment, the passenger is entitled to receive 100% of the cruise value in a future cruise which may be used up to 2 years from the date of the cancellation."

I think that's what they would have wanted to have in place before this whole mess started, and I guess they would want something like that signed by the customer in the future.  However, I think it would be a tricky balancing act to protect the financials of the company vs. enticing people (some of them very skittish, understandably so because of the outbreak and the way cancellations/refunds were handled) to book more cruises in the future.  Speaking for myself, if Crystal (and any and all other cruise lines) decides to add something like that to the cruise contract, I would seriously take a break from cruises for a few years, or indefinitely.  I like cruises, but my happiness is not solely based on my ability to take a cruise.

Edited by Psoque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the whole rest of the year: ocean, river and yacht,  is about to bite the dust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TER777 said:

Looks like the whole rest of the year: ocean, river and yacht,  is about to bite the dust. 


not surprised...just sad.

 

Nancy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is really sad. I am sorry for Crystal. Unfortunately not all countries were able to manage well this situation. This is affecting the travel industry every where. 
Ivi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

It is really sad. I am sorry for Crystal. Unfortunately not all countries were able to manage well this situation. This is affecting the travel industry every where. 
Ivi

 

There is also the lack of any demand. My Owner/Manager is away this week. The offices are closed as a result, and the office phones (two offices) have been forwarded to my cell phone since Saturday. There have been zero calls.

Edited by Roland4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad

I think the first few months of 2021 are iffy as well

Nothing can happen until there is a widely available effective vaccine.

I'm no expert but from what I have read March or April would be the earliest that could take place.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone just posted on the Crystal Society Facebook page that they got "notification" that all Serenity cruises are canceled through December. Didn't say notification from whom. Not a surprise.

 

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received the email. 12/22/20 Symphony holiday cruise cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes all cruises through end of year are cancelled and that also includes the Crystal Serenity Holiday Cruise in attrition to the Symphony one which Tracie mentioned.

 

I know some people wanted Crystal to make a decision and not wait till a closer date so now everyone has it.

 

We cancelled our Holiday Booking on Serenity a few weeks ago.

 

Up until that time I had always thought if we had to make a decision with all that we knew we would cancel it but left it there for awhile hoping (it's OK to hope) things would get much better.  Then came the Florida craziness.  On top of this we won't get on a flight and we considered driving but then the issues of where to stay and we won't eat in restaurants.  

 

Given the Florida situation, the forecasts by leading doctors that the Fall could be worse (history says it will be with COVID) between Covid and the Flu, the timing for rollout of a vaccination (even with the optimistic view) we decided to just go ahead and cancel.

 

It is sad.  I also feel very sad for those in this industry and related industries.  The number of people impacted is enormous.  (Cruise Line including land based personnel and the crew), touring personnel, land support such as those who help you at the pier, porters, truckers, food and beverage, travel agencies and travel agents, hotels, local restaurants, local stores), airlines, etc.  Bottom line it has a ripple affect and a big hardship for so many people.  

 

So while we feel bad for ourselves having to cancel we feel much worse for those whose livelihoods are impacted,  Right now I am feeling far more sad for all of them.  

 

Let us hope that 2021 is better and I look forward to the time we can do what so many of us love which is sailing the world with Crystal Cruises.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Someone just posted on the Crystal Society Facebook page that they got "notification" that all Serenity cruises are canceled through December. Didn't say notification from whom. Not a surprise.

 

Patty

This round of cancellation include all cruises through end of 2020 on all ocean (Serenity, Symphony), yacht (Esprit) and river ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the above is really very sad ... My first river cruise on Crystal is cancelled  and very unfortunately also the Holiday Cruise on the Crystal Esprit .  So far I never was on a cruise with Christmas and New Year   -  being single and never low supplements for that period .  High demand in normal circumstances ... 

Also the same cruise on Esprit for 2021 is "call for availability"  - 

I am very afraid for the cruises in February 2021 on the Symphony as well  - Crystal even reduced the fares for singles in PH 

On the last day of July 2020 :  despite some bookings were the result of previous cancellations ,  my actual balance : 7 cancellations... I hope for everybody a vaccin is found as soon as possible. 

In addition , all the problems of refunds by airlines  - still waiting for the refund by a Belgian airline for my first cancelled flights in March...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like they really don't care if you rebook...  Here is the offer for our Dec River cruise.  Did they offer anything better for the Dec Ocean cancellations???

By the way there is some fine print in the offer where they mention the dirty word "REFUND"

 

July 30, 2020

Regarding:

RMH201209-07 | Crystal Mahler | December 9, 2020 | 7 Nights | Vienna to Budapest | Danube Christmas Dreams (Eastbound)

 

We hope this letter finds you safe and well. Like you, we are eagerly anticipating the day we can return to sailing the world again and welcome you back aboard. Unfortunately, the pandemic caused by Covid-19, coupled with differing restrictions regarding entry into the European Union (EU), continues to impact when and where this can happen. Given the continued uncertainty surrounding this global health crisis, it is with regret that we have had to cancel your Crystal River cruise.

We sincerely apologize for this disruption to your travels and invite you to consider rescheduling your cruise with the two options shared here representing added value, choice and flexibility:

1. 2020 to 2021 River Rollover
Move your current reservation, including all payments made, to an equivalent sailing during the same time period in 2021, with price protection on the cruise fare and port charges – representing a significant value for you.

 

2. Transfer Your Reservation
If you choose not to rollover your cruise to a 2021 river sailing, you may transfer your reservation to any Crystal experience (Ocean, River, Yacht or Expedition) embarking through December 31, 2023 at prevailing rates. All monies paid will be transferred to the new reservation.

If you do not elect an option by August 14, 2020, we will automatically issue a Future Credit, equal to 100% of the cruise fare paid, valid on any Crystal experience (Ocean, River, Yacht or Expedition) embarking through December 31, 2023 – along with a refund of port charges, taxes and fees paid, and any air and hotel packages booked through Crystal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...