moving NRD with no penalty?

39august

We did so with no penalty just last week.  Changed ship, date and itinerary for 2021.  Our NRD deposit was transferred over in full and we even kept the same reservation number.  I didn’t even ask for it.  So it’s definitely possible.

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Moving to a random sailing I wouldn't think so

We took the FCC for our sailing this year and booked a different ship/itinerary/date next year. We had a NRD for this year's sailing and were not penalized at all. 

2 hours ago, 39august said:

Am I understanding correctly that some people have recently posted they were allowed to move NRD's with no penalty? 

Yes ... this is listed under the FAQ as an option. 

Under the FAQ:

How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?

Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on or before May 4, 2022, are eligible for this program. Prior to the final payment deadline, if you wish to change a Non-Refundable Deposit booking to an alternate ship or sailing, you can do so with no fee assessed; the change fee will be waived.

So yes you can and is an option separate from Lift and Shift.  I just did this myself so I can say definitively yes.  So nothing will be protected though except the normal $100 pp fee to move the cruise, the new cruise booking in this situation comes with all the perks applicable to the new booking and prior perks would go bye bye with the other booking (except if you had OBC for onboard booking, that is retained.)  You also lose any OBC you got from booking NRD, I lost my $100 per person benefit.

Edited by poffles

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

If the sailing you are moving to qualifies for Lift & Shift  definitely yes.  Moving to a random sailing I wouldn't think so but Celebrity is so consistent.

There is an option for NRD movement which is different than Lift & Shift, but it is just a waiving of the NRD fee penalty as asked by the OP and not a protection of perks and cost of an existing booking.

Edited by poffles

Similar to the other replies, I just booked and applied my NRD to a June 2021 cruise but I want to point out one subtlety where Celebrity seems to have been more lenient than stated in the policy poffles posted above (see highlight):

Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on or before May 4, 2022, are eligible for this program. Prior to the final payment deadline, if you wish to change a Non-Refundable Deposit booking to an alternate ship or sailing, you can do so with no fee assessed; the change fee will be waived.

In my case, I did not make final payment back in March for my June 2020 cruise, yet Celebrity applied my NRD in full to my new June, 2021 cruise.  But as the OP said,  this does not qualify for Lift and Shift so I lost my OBC, but since that happened to be the same amount  as the NRD I'd "given up" it's pretty much a wash.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the replies. Not concerned about perks currently on the NRD as we will be getting a suite with the 4 perks anyway. Just happy to retain my lower deposit and OBC for booking while on board. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 39august said:

Thanks so much for the replies. Not concerned about perks currently on the NRD as we will be getting a suite with the 4 perks anyway. Just happy to retain my lower deposit and OBC for booking while on board. 

Agree ... it was nice not to have to put out more money right now.

This was on Royal, but I would assume it would be the same on X. I had a TA booked for next April, NRD. I cancelled that because I didn't want to be stuck in Europe, and booked a Caribbean cruise for March, 2022 on the same ship. I paid nothing extra for a deposit. My full $900.00 was transferred over, and we kept the same booking number. In fact, also the same cabin. Great service at a time I wouldn't have expected it.

• Like 1

Please double check your invoices a week or two after you make the move with a NRD.

When we first made the move about a week ago, the invoice came through with the price and perks protected. All looked good.

Then, when checking today, I noticed my total price had gone up $200. A quick call to my TA and it was discovered Celebrity had gone into the booking and assessed the penalty fee about 5 days after the change was made.

Celebrity was not able to remove the fee, but manually gave me a $200 credit to offset it. I'm back to the correct price.

I'm sure I'm not the only booking with a NRD that got assessed the fee in error.

Edited by Blue_Flame

22 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I have an NRD on a cruise in March of 2021.  Would this cruise qualify for Lift and Shift? or is it too far out?  I'm just now catching up on what Lift and Shift is so I don't know all the details yet.

Mine was April 2021 and move to 2022 no problem.  Can be any cruise up to May 4, 2022... but the change must be done prior to August 1, 2020.

Cruise with Confidence FAQ

Edited to add ... I actually did lift and shift first ...no problem, and moved but really wasn't sure the year later was ideal either.  I since learned here that there was also the ability to book something else entirely (not fully the next year) and not pay the NRD fee to move so I did that and picked what I really wanted.  Lost old perks and got what was on the new booking which was better in my case (I didn't lose OBC I got for booking on board)... either way you have options.  

Edited by poffles
  • Thanks 1