Cruise Critic Community
oceanlovinmama

Please think twice about doing a chargeback

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

If they " really " need their money back that fast, why are they spending it on cruising ?

Agree. But I don't agree with how long  Celebrity/RC is taking to refund our money and the increments they are doing it in.  I'm currently on hold with Celebrity right now to ask where's my  balance of 15% they still owe us. It's has nothing to do with needing "our" money, we want "our" money!! 

Edited by davekathy

My dentist for example.

You would think "oh, a dentist, why would he need his money back.  Surely he can wait."

He's a young guy, just bought his practice from my old dentist last year.

For the last few months he's been only doing emergency dentistry.

However, he is continuing to pay his staff (and pay rent on his office, and pay off the remainder of his loan from buying his practice).

With all that, he certainly could afford the cruise he was going to be taking his father on.....at the time he booked it.

Now, that $$$  should be going to his receptionist and assistant, rather than staying with the cruise line.

5 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

Unfortunately you will likely be calling your cc company. Our cruise was one of the first Celebrity cancelled. We were due to sail March 14 and they cancelled the evening of March 13. We requested our refund immediately. After 6 weeks we finally received some of our refund and now 3+ more weeks later we still haven’t seen the rest. To top it off they are saying that we are due $200 less than what it should be! I have copies of all of my payments so we shall see!

Sorry you are still on the hook,  That whole thing was just wrong. We got lucky and had a later cruise and got to play the wait until 48 hours game. OH we were supposed to sail today in fact.  The good news with my credit card company is  I can do it all online in about 3 minutes. There are two charges, deposit and final payment so it will be easy to track them and dispute them  on day 46.  We canceled our July 3 Alaska cruise at final payment and actually got the deposit refund in about 3 weeks but that was only $600.  

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

If they " really " need their money back that fast, why are they spending it on cruising ?

We are all frustrated over receiving refunds and using all kinds of excuses with the Cruise Company to speed up OUR refund . LOL-- It doesn't work !!!

Fast is 3 days, absurd is 45 days,  beyond that is really bad business practices.  If you can take my money on the sport and have it post to my account in a day, why can't you refund it in a week?  

23 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Can you share your secret for 'MORE OBC FROM X'?  Never have I been offered anything beyond what is posted for that sailing....so you tell them you're booking with a TA , even if you're not, and they are offering an OBC, and then X matches it??

There was no OBC posted for that particular sailing on Celebrity site but the TA who operates in Texas who I have booked with on past sailings offered some for my category.  I just called my CVP and told him about it. He was reluctant at first but then got it approved. I did have to send a screen shot of the offer.  I don't think this is their usual practice but happy to get it along with the wine.  I've booked my last 4 cruises with this same CVP who has provided excellent service even during the pandemic.  I hope they don't let him go. 

On 5/16/2020 at 6:02 PM, billyu said:

Why even bother using a TA

On my next 2 Celebrity cruises I have $1400 on each in OBC.   I would not have 1/4 of that without my TA. 

29 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Curious why would you feel guilty if you cancel a cruise? 

I wouldn't want a TA that worked for me to feel they are losing out on their commission after spending time on it.

With the Big Box TA there is no personal attachment.

Ever see a Realtor 's face if you end up not taking a property because you didn't " firm up " your offer ?

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I wouldn't want a TA that worked for me to feel they are losing out on their commission after spending time on it.

With the Big Box TA there is no personal attachment.

Ever see a Realtor 's face if you end up not taking a property because you didn't " firm up " your offer ?

I don't have and never will have a personal attachment with any sales person, no matter the product they are selling me. Those same sales people are consumers also. Although I can't speak for anyone but myself, I would bet any of those sales people feel the same way about the sales person they are buying a product from. Over the course of my life, I've walked away from a lot of new car sales people when we couldn't firm up a deal and didn't care about the look on their face.

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

We are all frustrated over receiving refunds and using all kinds of excuses with the Cruise Company to speed up OUR refund . LOL-- It doesn't work !!!

Maybe when they booked  a few cruises they had a good income and money in the bank... Maybe now they don,t.  Many where we live are locked down now  with no work  for several.months..but have bills to pay and no gov  stimulus $$ ! Happy to be healthy!

We don't believe we need an excuse to expect a refund in 45 days..that,s reasonable under present circumstance!

Bet X would not give you a 45 day extension on final payment

Once a dispute is filed..clock starts ticking for  X to respond and refund somehow goes through...

1 hour ago, Mr. Click said:

Fast is 3 days, absurd is 45 days,  beyond that is really bad business practices.  If you can take my money on the sport and have it post to my account in a day, why can't you refund it in a week?  

Exactly!  I was notified of my cancellation by Celebrity 55 days ago [March 24], requested a refund the same day I received the email, and I'm still waiting for my refund!  Their cancellation email said that it would be refunded within 30 days.  I had insurance for this sailing, notified the insurance company of the cancellation the next day, and received a refund to my cc account within a week.  Seems Celebrity could have/should have done the same.

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

There was no OBC posted for that particular sailing on Celebrity site but the TA who operates in Texas who I have booked with on past sailings offered some for my category.  I just called my CVP and told him about it. He was reluctant at first but then got it approved. I did have to send a screen shot of the offer.  I don't think this is their usual practice but happy to get it along with the wine.  I've booked my last 4 cruises with this same CVP who has provided excellent service even during the pandemic.  I hope they don't let him go. 

Feel the same way about the CVP I've dealt with, may well be the same one as he has been wonderful to work with.  If it is the same one, you'll be happy to know he made it through the layoffs, I just spoke with him today!!

50 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I don't have and never will have a personal attachment with any sales person, no matter the product they are selling me. Those same sales people are consumers also. Although I can't speak for anyone but myself, I would bet any of those sales people feel the same way about the sales person they are buying a product from. Over the course of my life, I've walked away from a lot of new car sales people when we couldn't firm up a deal and didn't care about the look on their face.

I can agree IF I had not given the car salesperson a deposit or had them do extensive research a vehicle for me (most of us walk into a dealership knowing what vehicle we want 98% of the time).

I have walked out of dealerships because I was not happy with the salesperson approach or support...

Being in sales myself, I have put down deposits and signed contracts, before cancelling I think about if it is right for me to do and the reason(s) I Am doing it... especially if the salesperson is on commission.

Like I have waited tables before, I usually give a greater 'gratuity' than many others as I know, yet that is me because I have been in that line of work before, albeit college many moons ago, I do remember those days.

This is just my approach to buying in today's consumer world.

bon voyage

5 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Feel the same way about the CVP I've dealt with, may well be the same one as he has been wonderful to work with.  If it is the same one, you'll be happy to know he made it through the layoffs, I just spoke with him today!!

May very well be the same CVP although I'm sure there are many great ones.  He's so polite and professional of Spanish background and does his utmost to please.  Unfortunately I don't have any cruises booked so no need to call. 

21 hours ago, sippican said:

That "famous agency" from NH may have a good reputation for getting the lowest price, but does indeed not have a very good reputation for much else. They are one of the few who charge customers for booking changes and cancellations. Many report difficulty receiving personalized service and timely communication. (FWIW, most agencies can match the deals they offer.)

That has been the total opposite of our experience through about 15 bookings with them. You know, even Mercedes puts out a lemon every once in a while. An agency that big, is also going to occasionally have agents that don’t measure up to the vast majority of the rest of their staff.

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

May very well be the same CVP although I'm sure there are many great ones.  He's so polite and professional of Spanish background and does his utmost to please.  Unfortunately I don't have any cruises booked so no need to call. 

Yes, that's him.  He's still there!!😀

3 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Yes, that's him.  He's still there!!😀

Yippee! 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I don't have and never will have a personal attachment with any sales person,

I respect your opinion, however, in my experiences ,  in a "  business " transaction I have always received excellent service by over time developing a bit of a personal relationship with the Sales person.

Reminds me of : The best insurance policy in business is to pay your bills on time , and be loyal to the companies you work with. 

31 minutes ago, clojacks said:

That has been the total opposite of our experience through about 15 bookings with them. You know, even Mercedes puts out a lemon every once in a while. An agency that big, is also going to occasionally have agents that don’t measure up to the vast majority of the rest of their staff.

That's great that you have had a satisfactory experience. Have you needed to work with  them through this situation of cancellations, refunds, FCCs, etc.?  The bulk of dissatisfactions seems to be from clients needing help with unusual situations or changes, or those surprised by extra fees.

Just be aware that you can get the same  service and comparable pricing through agencies that don't charge additional fees as this one does.

2 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

They could always phrase it like Ticketmaster. "Refunds will be delivered in as few as 30 days" leaving it totally open ended as to when you'll see a refun from your cancelled event. 38 days for a refund from my tickets for Frozen on Broadway. That amount went out immediately too - and while it's not a suite on a cruise (or multiple cruises), it wasn't chump change either.

I'm not defending it taking so long. I'm just saying it's NOT just Celebrity. It's most things that have been hit with massive cancellations.

19 minutes ago, sippican said:

That's great that you have had a satisfactory experience. Have you needed to work with  them through this situation of cancellations, refunds, FCCs, etc.?  The bulk of dissatisfactions seems to be from clients needing help with unusual situations or changes, or those surprised by extra fees.

Just be aware that you can get the same  service and comparable pricing through agencies that don't charge additional fees as this one does.

Yes, we have. We were actually in the middle of the Indian Ocean on our way to Singapore from a Dubai, when all ports started closing left and right and we had to turn around and head back to Dubai. In the meantime, we just in the past 3 weeks cancelled an Oct ‘20 Viking a River Cruise, and received our refund in 2 weeks. We have dealt with the same Consultant at that NH agency, and, IMHO, it has made a difference in any situation we have needed to call on him. Extra fees??? Have never seen them. Extra perks or OBC??? Every cruise..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

I can agree IF I had not given the car salesperson a deposit or had them do extensive research a vehicle for me (most of us walk into a dealership knowing what vehicle we want 98% of the time).

I have walked out of dealerships because I was not happy with the salesperson approach or support...

Being in sales myself, I have put down deposits and signed contracts, before cancelling I think about if it is right for me to do and the reason(s) I Am doing it... especially if the salesperson is on commission.

Like I have waited tables before, I usually give a greater 'gratuity' than many others as I know, yet that is me because I have been in that line of work before, albeit college many moons ago, I do remember those days.

This is just my approach to buying in today's consumer world.

bon voyage

Agree and I respect that but only thinking of my personal experiences. That's the beauty of the internet. I (we) can do all the research first (at least for what I'm purchasing) before speaking with a sales associate or buy on line if applicable. However I do know exactly why I never worked in sales. Now that's obvious. 😉

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

They could always phrase it like Ticketmaster. "Refunds will be delivered in as few as 30 days" leaving it totally open ended as to when you'll see a refun from your cancelled event. 38 days for a refund from my tickets for Frozen on Broadway. That amount went out immediately too - and while it's not a suite on a cruise (or multiple cruises), it wasn't chump change either.

I'm not defending it taking so long. I'm just saying it's NOT just Celebrity. It's most things that have been hit with massive cancellations.

Princess Lodges went past 60 days on our Alaska post cruise hotel and that is now in dispute, Celebrity has until June2 or so, Travel Ex has not even responded beyond the automated  reply  in almost 4 weeks, It is a real pain dealing with all of these people.  Concerns, shore excursions, transfers etc all got it done in under 30 days.  Like I said before, airlines did it in a week.  

Per 100% commission sales.

That was how I was paid in radio sales. In a rather short time I had some very good long term, big clients (having been an announcer for over two decades helped). I was making good money.
Then the recession hit. I lost well over 50% of my income in two weeks. In a month, it  was 75% lost. I was paid, after my clients paid the station. We lost any ability to pressure clients to pay. Those that kept advertising took well past our net 30 agreement.   No words can explain how I felt. Failure, puts it mildly.

That said, I NEVER asked my clients to remember me in their plans. Never. You earn that from how you service your clients. And even then, how can you blame them for taking care of #1.

1 hour ago, clojacks said:

Yes, we have. We were actually in the middle of the Indian Ocean on our way to Singapore from a Dubai, when all ports started closing left and right and we had to turn around and head back to Dubai. In the meantime, we just in the past 3 weeks cancelled an Oct ‘20 Viking a River Cruise, and received our refund in 2 weeks. We have dealt with the same Consultant at that NH agency, and, IMHO, it has made a difference in any situation we have needed to call on him. Extra fees??? Have never seen them. Extra perks or OBC??? Every cruise..

That is very good to know.  As you mention, having an individual you trust and have established a good rapport with makes all the difference in the world. 

They do indeed have a standard cancellation fee. in addition to any cruiseline penalties. One of the only agencies i know of who has this pracrice.

1 minute ago, sippican said:

That is very good to know.  As you mention, having an individual you trust and have established a good rapport with makes all the difference in the world. 

They do indeed have a standard cancellation fee. in addition to any cruiseline penalties. One of the only agencies i know of who has this pracrice.

Viking apparently has been refunding without a long delay...that's also helpful