Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

I will be reading more and researching. In the lockdown, I looked at my cameras. I have come to the following conclusions:

 

1. I have too many: GoPro for my daughter to have fun with

2. Olympus TG-4 for underwater and some general photos

3. Olympus OM-D e-M5 Mk II (just sold) for taking pictures

 

I learned that I am a picture taker and not a photographer. Carrying around a mirrorless, 2-3 lenses, and other gear is far too bulky. I am debating on what to do. I want to go the compact route because, well, they are just small, take decent pictures, and I am not really printing pictures anyway. I have only printed maybe a dozen. The rest are just kept digital. 

 

If anyone has comments about a decent setup for a cruise or what others take on a cruise, that would be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sony RX100 Mk III, IV, V, VI, VII

 

Several models still in production with various lenses from $500ish to north of $1000. Not cheap but they are the best compact travel cameras on the market.

 

 

Dave

Edited by pierces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bigrednole said:

I will be reading more and researching. In the lockdown, I looked at my cameras. I have come to the following conclusions:

 

1. I have too many: GoPro for my daughter to have fun with

2. Olympus TG-4 for underwater and some general photos

3. Olympus OM-D e-M5 Mk II (just sold) for taking pictures

 

I learned that I am a picture taker and not a photographer. Carrying around a mirrorless, 2-3 lenses, and other gear is far too bulky. I am debating on what to do. I want to go the compact route because, well, they are just small, take decent pictures, and I am not really printing pictures anyway. I have only printed maybe a dozen. The rest are just kept digital. 

 

If anyone has comments about a decent setup for a cruise or what others take on a cruise, that would be helpful.

 

Use your phone, or use the TG-4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the answer depends on where you are going.  On a Med cruise I am more likely to "load up" even though I don't take everything with me everyday.  I take the DLSR when touring.  Often I also take a "bridge camera" that is lighter and has a longer zoom lens.  And.. my GoPro.  This past December when we went to the Bahamas I just took the bridge camera, which fits in my pocket (40X zoom).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mskaufman said:

This past December when we went to the Bahamas I just took the bridge camera, which fits in my pocket (40X zoom).

Which bridge camera do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4k Go Pro camera is the best choice for a short term cruises. You can capture all the memorable moments and it wont take too much space in your luggage. You can keep it in your pocket and easily connect to your phone, iPad and laptop computer. In terms of comfort - its the best camera around to work with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you looked at the bridge cameras available?  Most have long zoom lenses and decent image stabilization.  Some even have 1 inch sensors.  It’s nice not having to carry extra lenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Which bridge camera do you have?

I am now using a SX 720 (40X).  I had a SX-40, which was much larger.  The SX 40 is 35X, has a viewfinder but the SX 720 fits in my pocket.  Both take good long distance pictures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. I am looking at options. I have not ruled out any option and I have not ruled out going with a small mirrorless and pancake lens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all. I am going to Alaska in 2021 on a cruise. Can anyone tell me if this is a good camera? it has 65x optical zoom and 20.3mp. I want to get decent photos of some wildlife (I hope) and scenery. But I don’t know anything about aperture or fancy things like that. I just want beautiful photos of my trip. Thanks! Oh, this camera is 549 at Best Buy. I’m open to other suggestions too! Thank you!
 

Canon - PowerShot SX70 HS 20.3-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

Model:3071C001
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a small versatile camera I favored the Panasonic Lumix ZS50.  I believe there is now a newer but similar model.  The reason I liked that one is that in addition to the LCD screen it had an electronic eye level viewfinder.  That came in handy several times in bright sun conditions where the LCD screen couldn't be viewed.  I took that one on a 60 day South America cruise a couple of years ago and got many great photos that could be enlarged up to 16x20.  More recently, I hankered for the Sony a6000 body with the 18-135 Sony zoom lens.  A little bigger but I found a small Ape brand camera bag that fit the camera/lens combo perfectly.  Toted that around northern Europe and Russia last summer with no problem.  But if you strictly want a pocket camera, I highly recommend the ZS50 or its successor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 4:12 PM, zqvol said:

 

Use your phone, or use the TG-4.

 

I remember a my last cruise lugged a very nice DSLR and a few lens, and then a really compact mirrorless, in the end 98% of the pictures came from my phone, I'd say don't discount how good the latest phones are even for low light.  

 

The only time I see a dedicated camera make sense is when fast moving subject, extreme focal lengths etc.    

 

Most static photos the phone is really hard to beat these days, unless you are blowing them up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 9:08 AM, SurfNCruise said:

Hi all. I am going to Alaska in 2021 on a cruise. Can anyone tell me if this is a good camera? it has 65x optical zoom and 20.3mp. I want to get decent photos of some wildlife (I hope) and scenery. But I don’t know anything about aperture or fancy things like that. I just want beautiful photos of my trip. Thanks! Oh, this camera is 549 at Best Buy. I’m open to other suggestions too! Thank you!
 

Canon - PowerShot SX70 HS 20.3-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

Model:3071C001
 

As I indicated in an earlier post I have an SX-40 HS (an SX 70 predecessor).  I have taken over 10,000 pictures with the camera and have been very happy.  With a 65X I hope the image stabilization is good.  The only problem I have is handheld photos on full zoom with objects far away.  Otherwise, it is versatile and takes great pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever you go for make sure you get something with a viewfinder!  If you are used to useing a 'normal' camera you are likely to get frustraited if you can't compose your images because you can't see the screen on the back of the camera.  I am a guest lecturer on Photography on cruise ships and this is the comment I hear from people more than anything they wish they had a viewfinder!  Particularly in bright locations such as the Caribbean.

 

My recommendation is to look at the Panasonic Lumix rage - I can't give you a specific model number because they change a little to frequently for me to keep track.  My main camera is 5DMk3 but I do have a Panasoinc Lumix point and shoot for times I need to travel light and I have been very pleased with it.

 

All the best

Ian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a DSLR and a GoPro. I like the DSLR but get tied of carrying it around. The GoPro is fine but is too small in my hands. I just purchased a Canon G7 X Mark III. I seriously considered the Mark II, but was able to find the Mark III for about $100 more on Ebay and figured it would be better in the long run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hloakes said:

I have a DSLR and a GoPro. I like the DSLR but get tied of carrying it around. The GoPro is fine but is too small in my hands. I just purchased a Canon G7 X Mark III. I seriously considered the Mark II, but was able to find the Mark III for about $100 more on Ebay and figured it would be better in the long run. 

I use a stick connected to the GoPro so the small camera is not in my hand. It is fairly easy to walk with the GoPro on holding it by the stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of the feedback.In the end, I went with a Sony a6400 and 18-135mm lens. I got a heck of a deal on an OB. I got it for the same price I sold my Olympus for. Only 403 shutter count on it. I figured with high school starting for my daughter, I would need a good camera for everything that will be on the way. I still have not ruled out a pocket camera. Prices on some used pocket travel cameras are excellent. Might even have an insane deal on Prime Day (still mad I missed on the Sony's last year for $100). But still, if the Panny long zoom pockets go on a good deal, I will buy one. I have enough junk I can sell to get the $200 or so for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year we completed our transition to three Sony Mirrorless cameras (A-6000, A6400, A6500) with numerous lenses and a Sony HX90V. One feature that I use quite a bit is that I can WiFi from all four cameras to our phones. I normally do a running FB posting on our cruises, plus I use it for a FB railfan group that I belong to.

 

The HX90V gets carried in my pocket everywhere because of its small size and is great with its long 24-720mm lens when there is some distance involved. My wife uses the A-6400 with the 16-55mm because that is what she likes to use for her photo subjects. I use either the A-6000 or the A-6500, keeping one body as a spare, with different lenses but mostly the 18-135mm. The extra body is insurance as the last thing I want to do is travel on a cruise and have the camera go OOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...