Lodging in Venice pre-cruise - recommendations?

VitaminSea53

I plan to spend a few days pre-cruise in Venice in Sept 2021. I am hoping to get some suggestions from experienced travelers. We will be lugging heavy suitcases and so need minimal stairs to access.  I read that mosquitos can be an issue and window screens are not a “thing” in Venice. Also, DH is a light sleeper. Any suggestions on areas to stay?  Hotels?  Airbnb?   Thanks. 

How are you arriving into Venice? There are many threads here on hotels, and many you won't have to cross any bridges to get to. You can approach from the land side into Venice, and stay right where the land transport drops you. Or you can water taxi from the airport to many hotels, and be dropped essentially at the front door. The Hilton is an example of this that we have stayed at.

We are flying into Venice from West Coast US. I haven’t figured out the transportation options yet. I am still confused about road vs canal travel - taxis vs water bus vs people mover vs  ???  I know that I don’t want to lug heavy large suitcases and carryons up and down stairs in order to cross bridges. I have a lot to learn and figure out. 

1 hour ago, VitaminSea53 said:

We are flying into Venice from West Coast US. I haven’t figured out the transportation options yet. I am still confused about road vs canal travel - taxis vs water bus vs people mover vs  ???  I know that I don’t want to lug heavy large suitcases and carryons up and down stairs in order to cross bridges. I have a lot to learn and figure out. 

The alilaguna is like an airport bus, less expensive than a water taxi.   But a water taxi is faster though more expensive.   You can take a reasonable bus into Venice and then transfer to a vaporetto,  but you will be dragging luggage on and off.   Either the alilaguna or water taxi is easier depending where you choose to stay.  

22 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

I plan to spend a few days pre-cruise in Venice in Sept 2021. I am hoping to get some suggestions from experienced travelers. We will be lugging heavy suitcases and so need minimal stairs to access.  I read that mosquitos can be an issue and window screens are not a “thing” in Venice. Also, DH is a light sleeper. Any suggestions on areas to stay?  Hotels?  Airbnb?   Thanks. 

We have never had an issue with mosquitoes in Venice but I have read reports of mosquitoes during certain times of the year.  If concerned, take a good repellent & book a hotel with air conditioning so that you can keep your windows closed at night.

Since you do not wish to schlep your luggage over the many bridges in Venice, you may want to consider one of the hotels in Piazzale Roma. 

This is a great site for visitors to Venice as it includes lots of information including hotels (with no bridges to cross) and all transportation options.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Edited by dogs4fun

Window screens are something not often found in Europe.  A few years ago DW and I spent a few nights at a friend's home in England.  It was in July and it was quite hot for England.  Like in much of Europe, on hot nights you simply open the windows (sans screens).  We asked our friend why they didn't have screens and he told us there were no insects that bite.  The following day both DW and I had plenty of bites :).   

My advice to the OP is to just relax and lets see what happens in the next few months.  Will cruising even resume in and out of Venice or will some "powers to be" take advantage of the current situation to ban cruise ships from Venice (a goal of many).  As to avoiding steps there are many options that include hotels with elevators :).  Where to stay is a personal preference issue and also a budget issue for some folks.  But you would need a hotel you can access, without steps, from a boat (be it Alilaguna, private water taxi, or vaporetto) or you could opt to stay near the airport or in the Mestre area (this is usually a lower cost option but not very convenient).

As to a light sleeper, staying in a good hotel with A/C and relatively soundproof windows is an option if you can afford the price.  Just understand that for many experienced travelers, part of the fun is adapting to the country you are visiting.  It sounds like you are looking for a US style hotel (lots of elevators, AC, sound proofing, etc) and while it does exist it usually comes at a price.  On the other hand, Venice does have some excellent hotels (some for $1000+ per night) which would easily meet all your requirements. :).  Places like the Gritti Palace, Denali, Luna Baglioni, quickly come to mind.  If you are willing to pay the price you will find some amazing luxury and you can have your luggage problems disappear.  

On the other hand, we now live in a new world.  Two of our European trips have been cancelled because of COVID-19 and many experts tell us that bug will still be around next year :(.  I would happily trade being somewhat confined to my home for a Grand Canal-view hotel with an open window :).  

Hank

The AC Marriott is very new and modern and next to Piazzale Roma with no bridges to cross. Hotel Olimpia is older, but nice, with one small bridge to cross.

What we do with lots of luggage is to get a taxi from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal rather than using the people mover. $15-20 Euro but worth it to us to be dropped right at the cruise terminal and not fight with the luggage.

I always have a VERY tough time deciding where to stay in Venice. Hotel location is important to me, but so is charm, and feeling like I am in Venice. Every time I go there before or after a cruise, I vow I'm going to stay in or near Piazzale Roma, because of the convenience, and every time, I decide on somewhere else more charming.

Piazzale Roma is a transportation hub -- and while not quite as charmless as Termini in Rome, it is always busy with folks disembarking buses and trains and embarking the vaporetti (water buses).

Your trip is a while away, so you still have time to think about it. On the other hand, hotel prices are pretty low right now, so you may want to make no-penalty reservations in a couple of places while you ponder....one near Piazzale Roma perhaps, and one in a more scenic neighborhood or closer to the Venice sights.

• Like 1

We have had great luck with the Ala and another local hotel in Castello.  .  Both in quiet neighbourhoods easily accessible without bridges and great for just wandering.   The Ala is two palazzos back to back with a roof garden with amazing views and wonderful Murano chandeliers.   So with research it is possible to have the best of both worlds, charm and good access.  Just check how accessible where you are looking is to the alilaguna if you are coming from the airport.    We rented an apartment last time on the north side of Venice and it was easily accessible as well.  I don’t like using the vaporettos with luggage unless absolutely necessary.