September in Hawaii

saphir

Yes, hurricanes can arrive in September. Also in July (less likely) and August. But hurricanes hit Hawaii very infrequently. They come into the area almost every year, but miss to the north or south most commonly, providing some rain, but not much else. Last year, for example, two hurricanes missed closely to the north, causing rain, and some beach erosion, mostly on the Big Island and Maui. But little impact to life on most of Hawaii, and even southern Maui barely got wet. The year before that, Kaui"i took a pretty serious near miss...with a lot of rain.

As a result, September is the warmest and most humid (generally) month in Hawaii, as hurricanes require warm water and air to survive.

We have cruises from the West Coast  (Vancouver BC) twice now in Sept.  Fantastic beautiful weather cruises. For us it was like cruising on a lake.  We had threats of hurricanes  both times and fortunately nothing maturated from them. Broke up long before reaching the Islands.  Ships change paths and steer clear.  Much better weather than a spring one would have been. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:35 PM, saphir said:

i am planning a cruise in September 2021, and I heard that temperature in September was risky (rain, hurricane). What do you think?

I think neither one is worth worrying about for a nano-second.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:57 AM, scottca075 said:

I think neither one is worth worrying about for a nano-second.

Have been to Hawaii over 30 times, all land visits, including in hurricane season, and haven't worried about the weather for more than a couple of seconds. I did get soaked on the golf course last February....for the first time...but was dry in less than an hour, and played all 18 hours, no problem.

It's rare.    BUT,   this past January,   I did have a horrific week-  constant rain,  floods,  solid ocean white caps-  not ideal  🙂      Time is always your best friend in traveling.  -  So in Hawaii-   I typically spend at least 3 weeks   per trip.     I have taken NCL  over a dozen times  and also have sailed Carnival and Princess to Hawaii.  ,     I'm certain  you'll have a great time.     For me the water temp-  is far better than my winter trips-   when I usually go in August,  with Sept.  similar.   

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...