do you realize how complicated it will be for cruising to restart

ontheweb

On 5/20/2020 at 10:28 AM, clo said:

But you'll do some other kind of travel in the meantime, right?

Ā 

On 5/20/2020 at 10:35 AM, ilikeanswers said:

Ā 

Please re read my post, I did at specify non essential workers. From what I have read the poster seems to suggest that the UK is encouraging people to go to work despite the lock down which is different to what other countries are doing which is discouraging people from going to work if they can do so from home or are classed as non essential. That is what sparked my curiosity.Ā 

Damned right, flying to Mexico in August and they will be open. Oh and flying to Detroit before that to go to my folks lake house on Lake St. Claire. Can't wait. Everyone please stay home so the flight is empty. Oh ya, flew to Milwaukee two weeks ago, there were 4 people on the plane, it was effing EPIC!!!Ā  So please, do us morons who continue to travel a favor, remain calm and self isolate for a few more years.Ā Ā We are loving it, little blue mask and all...Ā  And the Business Class upgrade is only $99 each way, I highly suggest this upgrade, it is so choice.Ā 

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have had facial hair since before you were born.If I were to shave my beard and mustache off nobody would know who I was not even me.

I have also had long hair and a beard for a long time.

Ā 

In fact in 1970 I had long hair and a beard and was a census taker at the time. Now remember this was before filling it out on the internet. It was a time a census taker went around and you filled out the form with him or her. Anyway, I was assigned a rather backwoods area. And one person told me that I should not go into the woods during hunting season since someone might mistake me for a bear and shoot me. I assured him that I would keep out of the woods during hunting season. His reply was "might not be in the woods, might not be in hunting season". Needless to say I left.

Ā 

Now I do not want to leave the impression everyone in that area was like that. There was one elderly couple that asked if I knew their grandson. It was someone who I knew as he was in my graduating class. When I said yes, they invited me in to have a piece of cake. It would have been impolite to say no, so I accepted.Ā Ā Now they did not actually give me a piece of cake; what they did was each take a piece for themselves and gave me the rest of the cake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

The flu vaccine works.Ā  It's just that it's specific to each strain.Ā  They can only load up the immunization with what they think the top 3 or 4 strains are going to be for the next season.Ā  Ā And it's a best guess scenario, as that has to be determined about year out, in order to come up with enough vaccine to go around.

Ā 

The years that the vaccine was less successful were the years that the strains going around wound up being different than the ones forecast.Ā  But they still help make the flu that you get not as bad.

Precisely..... So who is to say that the strains of RNA Virus they choose to put into the vaccine are the ones that will be circulating that particular season?Ā  If the Flu "Vaccine" is working, then why do we have the flu at all?Ā  I mean, you said the Flu Vaccine works, Right?Ā  Here ya go.... You can't cure them....Ā https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29562753/

19 minutes ago, Jasawyer said:

Precisely..... So who is to say that the strains of RNA Virus they choose to put into the vaccine are the ones that will be circulating that particular season?Ā  If the Flu "Vaccine" is working, then why do we have the flu at all?Ā  I mean, you said the Flu Vaccine works, Right?Ā  Here ya go.... You can't cure them....Ā https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29562753/

Ā 

The flu and COVID-19 are caused by two different families of viruses -- and not all viruses behave the same. The flu is notorious for its many mutations; that's one of its survival techniques. But coronaviruses may be more stable -- so a best case could be development of a vaccine that is at least good for a few (versus a single) year; less optimal case, it will be easier to predict seasonal variation if a yearly vaccine is needed.

Ā 

Also, did you read the link you provided?Ā  It is a good summary of current knowledge and it ends with a hopeful note that "recent advances in our understanding of the structure(s) and function(s) of respiratory virus polymerases will likely support the discovery and development of novel nucleoside analogs."

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I have also had long hair and a beard for a long time.

Ā 

In fact in 1970 I had long hair and a beard and was a census taker at the time. Now remember this was before filling it out on the internet. It was a time a census taker went around and you filled out the form with him or her. Anyway, I was assigned a rather backwoods area. And one person told me that I should not go into the woods during hunting season since someone might mistake me for a bear and shoot me. I assured him that I would keep out of the woods during hunting season. His reply was "might not be in the woods, might not be in hunting season". Needless to say I left.

Ā 

Now I do not want to leave the impression everyone in that area was like that. There was one elderly couple that asked if I knew their grandson. It was someone who I knew as he was in my graduating class. When I said yes, they invited me in to have a piece of cake. It would have been impolite to say no, so I accepted.Ā Ā Now they did not actually give me a piece of cake; what they did was each take a piece for themselves and gave me the rest of the cake.

Do you have bears roaming in your area ? My daughter who has a house in Delaware County has many bears..

H.K. has a goatee.

When I first grew my full beard in November 1970 it was reddish brown ,now it is Santa Claus white.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh, I think there's something missing. Or did you give the wrong link? I didn't see anything about the US/Mexico border being reopened. ???

Who said anything about the border?Ā  It would take nearly 3 days to drive from IAH to CZM.... Just hop on a plane and go. The flights have never stopped. The hotels are closed to tourists but the flights have never stopped. How are the wonderful people of NV doing right about now with this shut down. I am sure it is excruciatingly difficult for bartenders, dealers, cocktail servers and servers in general. My aunt, who has been there since 1993, who I talk to nearly weekly, says things are horrible. States that churches cant keep up with the food demand. Aunt Mona states that she is very displeased with slow re-opening but that she loves Ceasar's because she is getting a base salary. She states that the worst part about this is that she doesn't know when she can go back to work and earn what she is used to making from the tips. Thank goodness she hasn't been entirely furloughed. My cousin, Bill, who is an IT guy with MGM says he is still getting paid but his wife Carliegh, is a cocktail waitress, and is concerned that they can't make their mortgage because they are used to a particular amount that she brings in. So in Vegas, things are harsh but how are things in California Light, Reno? I would be willing to bet that the SEIU is really taking care of folks...

52 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ā 

The flu and COVID-19 are caused by two different families of viruses -- and not all viruses behave the same. The flu is notorious for its many mutations; that's one of its survival techniques. But coronaviruses may be more stable -- so a best case could be development of a vaccine that is at least good for a few (versus a single) year; less optimal case, it will be easier to predict seasonal variation if a yearly vaccine is needed.

Ā 

Also, did you read the link you provided?Ā  It is a good summary of current knowledge and it ends with a hopeful note that "recent advances in our understanding of the structure(s) and function(s) of respiratory virus polymerases will likely support the discovery and development of novel nucleoside analogs."

Yep, read every bit of it.....Ā  Still NO CURE for ANY RNA Virus.... I don't bet anything on "hopeful"....Ā 

Better hold my tongue

Ā 

Nonessential travel between the US and Mexico is currently not permitted. That means no travel for tourism. That agreement runs to June 22. Possibly nonessential travel between US and Mexico will be permitted in August but it isnā€™t now.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Saw an article in our local news that a company has created a product that I guess is introduced to the air constantly and makes coronavirus particles inert. This could be a game changer to re-opening. (gabp is our baseball stadium)

Ā 

https://www.fox19.com/2020/05/21/reds-gabp-serve-test-site-aerosol-eliminate-airborne-coronavirus/

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

If anyone has any interest in saving the aviation and hospitality industries they had been better get flights moving and resorts open soonish.Ā 

Ā 

Vaccine or no vaccine.

Ā 

When it is safe to travel again, people will travel -- and the aviation and hospitality industries will ramp back up to service them because there will be a need for them.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Do you have bears roaming in your area ? My daughter who has a house in Delaware County has many bears..

H.K. has a goatee.

When I first grew my full beard in November 1970 it was reddish brown ,now it is Santa Claus white.

There are bears that are seen occasionally, but not like Delaware County. They are a lot more rural than us.

49 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Ā 

When it is safe to travel again, people will travel -- and the aviation and hospitality industries will ramp back up to service them because there will be a need for them.

Ā 

Ā 

If this is allowed to continue people will only travel when there is a facility to take them. If aviation firms go bust and they are how ar people going to fly?

If this is allowed to continue people will only travel when there is a facility to take them. If aviation firms go bust and they are how ar people going to fly?

Ā 

The airlines have received bailout funds to help them stay in business.

Ā 

Hotels here in the DMV were considered essential and stayed open. The DMV covers parts of DC, Maryland and Virginia. All of the DMV is still in stay home shelter in place. Only luxury hotels closed. There is a Courtyard Marriott and an Embassy Suites in my neighborhood and they have been open the whole emergency.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

24 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Ā 

From my news round-up this morning:Ā  "Airline travel remains at only about 10 percent of normal levels, despite few restrictions on flying. ā€œEven when everything is open, our economy wonā€™t recover until people feel safe resuming their normal lives.ā€Ā 

Ā 

I think this is true. People are not ready to travel, despite what a lot of talking heads would have us think. The US economy is "opening up" but people are still choosing not to participate, at least unless they have to (for work, etc.)

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 7:25 PM, clo said:

Total Wines started with delivery and then moved to you could order and pay ahead, notify upon arrival and they'd bring to your car. The addiction issue could have been part of the decision process. Oh, and the same with the pot shops.

Did you ever think you would see the day pot was legal and hair cuts were not?!?Ā šŸ˜€

On 5/20/2020 at 10:39 PM, clo said:

We and our barber/stylist will have masks and they'll wear gloves. The dog will be picked up and delivered back to the car. This is as 'out there' as we've been in so long and I'm not without some trepidation.

Gloves? Totally ridiculous and points out the problems with reopening. People donā€™t have the ability to determine what is appropriate.

5 hours ago, DarrenM said:

If anyone has any interest in saving the aviation and hospitality industries they had been better get flights moving and resorts open soonish.

Ā 

Airbus A380 and coronavirus: Air France axes grounded A380 fleet, Emirates slashes its order with Airbus

Ā 

Adjustments are being madešŸ˜³.

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Did you ever think you would see the day pot was legal and hair cuts were not?!?Ā šŸ˜€

Ā 

I saw that the other day, probably on Hippie Peace Freaks. The conclusion was "The hippies won." šŸ™‚Ā 

8 hours ago, DarrenM said:

If anyone has any interest in saving the aviation and hospitality industries they had been better get flights moving and resorts open soonish.Ā 

Ā 

Vaccine or no vaccine.

Ā The industries will survive - what might not survive are the current players in the industry. Ā  There is a big difference.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, clo said:
Ā 

I saw that the other day, probably on Hippie Peace Freaks. The conclusion was "The hippies won." šŸ™‚Ā 

Let's hear if for the Hippies. Hip, Hip, Hooray!