My Feb. 26th cruise on Riviera

Maverick Cruiser

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Clo,

you found my comments reprehensible and now you support me 100%? You are befuddled.  

Please refer to post #14 . I found what happened to you "reprehensible."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I just  wonder  how  the ship's personnel could know the  man had Covid  since they did not have the tests onboard ?

Maybe spraying the cabins  was precautionary ..just in case ?

They also could not have known enough for the captain to announce that the airlifted passenger definitely was not infected. He did so.

Edited by retafcruiser
  • Like 1

Hi All.

I just thought I would add my 2 cents!!  We were on Sirena March 8th and the first two days were extremely rocky.  The next two days we stopped at Martinque and St Lucia (I think).  The rest of our 10 day cruise was "suspended" according to what Oceania said in a letter that was left in our cabin.  We never felt like we were in an extreme or horrendous situation while on board.  It was boring be sure but me and my husband never felt like Oceania was hiding anything - we in fact felt they were upfront letting us know that the cruise was being suspended.  The only thing we wish that Oceania had done was let us know while we were on board that they were giving us  50% FCC.   We were very satisfied how clean they kept the ship!!  They were constantly cleaning!!  AND no one as far as we knew was sick.  If you like a lot of  sea days you would have loved this cruise!!  For us it was boring!

12 minutes ago, deus said:

The only thing we wish that Oceania had done was let us know while we were on board that they were giving us  50% FCC.  

Would  you have been less bored?? 😁

Due to my broken ankle (done while skiing 5 days prior to our cruise) I never left the Riviera for the 14 days but was never bored! Loved not having to clean or cook & be looked after which I could not have managed. Even when in tip top shape we love the sea days sitting on a balcony or poolside is fabulous. However we are sailboat owners and love the sea.

Our trip around Australia in December on Regatta was more of a sightseeing trip but the sea days are special. Everyone enjoys different things and that is wonderful.

We also enjoy the socializing, relaxing & reading while on board.

• Like 2

I'm a little late to the party....but...

We were on the Feb 26th cruise.  We had a wonderful time and did adjust to the new sanitation norms during the cruise.  We did not detect extreme concern or people unhappy with the cruise.  In our lifetime my husband and I have had to adjust to much bigger challenges, this was not one of them.   Yes, we were aware but stayed happy, calm and flexible.  There was no way O could have announced a confirmed case until the patient was tested on shore.  The results took time, thus the notification was when we returned home.

We look forward to cruising again when proper safety and sanitizing procedures are in place.  Frankly, we welcome these changes as they can ultimately reduce all kinds of diseases, including COVID19.  

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 7:05 PM, deus said:

Hehe!!  Well maybe😉.    Six sea days in a row - that is boring.

Not for everyone!  I've become very fond of sea days.

But when you aren't planning on them, and when there is a particularly difficult health problem ... I won't disagree!

Mura

9 minutes ago, Mura said:

Not for everyone!  I've become very fond of sea days.

But when you aren't planning on them, and when there is a particularly difficult health problem ... I won't disagree!

Mura

We also like sea days but only if we are busy sightseeing on our other days while we are on a cruise.  

I used to feel that way.  When we first started cruising we only wanted port visits.  Then we were on a cruise (Buenos Aires to Santiago) where each port was at least a day's sail away, and we realized we really liked the sea days.

And that's when we started doing transatlantics ...

So I can understand where you prefer a sea day after a port visit ... but we have come to like a number of sea days in a row.  When we started cruising I never could have imagined that I would come to like lots of sea days!  But we did.

Not everyone will agree with us, of course.  That's just how we feel now! We like port visits and we like sea days.

MURA

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mura said:

but we have come to like a number of sea days in a row.  When we started cruising I never could have imagined that I would come to like lots of sea days!  But we did.

Ditto.

Started cruising for ports mostly, now we appreciate the relaxation of sea days with options to do a lot or nothing.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:29 PM, Tutuma said:

We look forward to cruising again when proper safety and sanitizing procedures are in place.

So no vaccine required by you? Whew. It continues to blow my mind.

I was on Marina's last cruise in South America. We had 11 sea days in a row, when we were denied entry into Peru and Chile. We sat in Panama bay for 3 days, waiting to get through canal. No one on ship was sick, thank God. 95% of guests enjoyed these extra days. The only thing they ran out of was Greek yogurt , my wife survived.  Lots of extra cleaning and bathroom doors left open, so no one had to touch them.  The crew worked their butts off and did a great job. Most of the crew had never been on so many sea days in a row. I'll be back with Oceania, maybe wait about 6 months(until everyone figures this out)

Couple sea days in a row, 3 at max is all we will take. At $750 per day each, we can stay in a much more splendid room, with much nicer accessories, and eat in Michelin rated restaurants. All that plus not worrying about how much the boat will rock, roll, and sway! Four + days in a Four Seasons or upper scale resort,  sitting on the beach overlooking  the ocean, versus floating around on a smallish ship in the middle of nowhere? Each to their own!

40 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Couple sea days in a row, 3 at max is all we will take. At $750 per day each, we can stay in a much more splendid room, with much nicer accessories, and eat in Michelin rated restaurants. All that plus not worrying about how much the boat will rock, roll, and sway! Four + days in a Four Seasons or upper scale resort,  sitting on the beach overlooking  the ocean, versus floating around on a smallish ship in the middle of nowhere? Each to their own!

So are you done cruising  now?

It is not like the extra sea days are planned   & in the case above  the Covid  scared  a lot of Countries to not allow ships to port there

17 hours ago, clo said:

Nope.  If testing becomes 1.  reliable  2.  readily available   3.  continually through the cruise   4. with immediate results...we are good to go!  Looking forward to that day!

1 minute ago, Tutuma said:

Nope.  If testing becomes 1.  reliable  2.  readily available   3.  continually through the cruise   4. with immediate results...we are good to go!  Looking forward to that day!

And if there's an asymptomatic person who never tests positive?????

2 minutes ago, Tutuma said:

"reliable"

I worked in a lab at CDC a lifetime ago and then and now have never heard of any test for anything that doesn't have false positives and negatives. It's just the way it is. You'll never get any lab to tell you otherwise. Sorry.

17 hours ago, clo said:

A vaccine does not guarantee 100% reliability either......just look at the flu vaccine.  There is nothing that will give anyone a 100% guarantee that they are immune to COVID 19.  Also, as we have already seen, COVID 19 is already mutating so already need vaccines for several strains.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, basor said:

A vaccine does not guarantee 100% reliability either......just look at the flu vaccine.  There is nothing that will give anyone a 100% guarantee that they are immune to COVID 19.  Also, as we have already seen, COVID 19 is already mutating so already need vaccines for several strains.

Here's a very good piece I just found:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/05/08/852081139/the-coronavirus-is-mutating-thats-normal-does-that-mean-it-s-more-dangerous

23 minutes ago, clo said:

I worked in a lab at CDC a lifetime ago and then and now have never heard of any test for anything that doesn't have false positives and negatives. It's just the way it is. You'll never get any lab to tell you otherwise. Sorry.

So you are not leaving your house  right?