Cruise Critic Community
Stickman1990

World Cruise 2021 Final Payment Dates Changed

Well I just received this, I know it doesn’t guarantee the World Cruise will proceed but the change to final payment dates is a good move - giving a little more time to decide, n my case an additional month (and these days a lot can happen in a month!)

Interestingly no changes to the Itinerary, at this stage

We are writing today to let you know we have extended the final payment due date for your 2021 World Cruise: Ancient Dynasties & World Wonders to 120 days prior to departure adding more flexibility to your travel planning. This extension applies to all 2021 full World Cruise departures – from Miami on January 5, 2021 and from Los Angeles on January 21, 2021 – as well as World Cruise voyage segments, Grand Journeys and any combination cruises.

NOTE: Previous final payment due dates were 180 days prior for voyages of 22 days or longer; 150 days prior for voyages of 14-21 days; there is no change to final payment due for voyages of 13 days or less. Please be advised, the cancellation policy as indicated on your booking confirmation still applies. 

The due dates for your final payment are noted below and have already been made to your booking profile in our reservation system. At this time, there is no action required from you.

Full World Cruise  Departing  NEW Final Payment Due Date 
OCY210105-139 Miami; Jan 5 Sept 7, 2020
OCY210105-127  Miami; Jan 5 Sept 7, 2020
OCY210121-123  Los Angeles; Jan 21 Sept 23, 2020
OCY210121-111  Los Angeles; Jan 21 Sept 23, 2020
World Cruise Segments  Departing  NEW Final Payment Due Date 
OCY210105-16  Miami; Jan 5 Sept 7, 2020
OCY210121-21  Los Angeles; Jan 21 Sept 23, 2020
OCY210211-18  Brisbane; Feb 11 Oct 14, 2020
OCY210301-12  Hong Kong; Mar 1 Nov 1, 2020 (no change)
OCY210313-12  Tokyo; Mar 13  Nov 13, 2020 (no change)
OCY210325-14  Shanghai; Mar 25 Nov 25, 2020
OCY210408-16  Singapore; Apr 8 Dec 9, 2020
OCY210424-18  Dubai; Apr 24  Dec 25, 2020
OCY210512-12  Rome; May 12  Jan 12, 2021 (no change)
Grand Journeys  Departing  NEW Final Payment Due Date 
OCY210301-24  Hong Kong; Mar 1 Nov 1, 2020 
OCY210313-42  Tokyo; Mar 13  Nov 13, 2020 
OCY210424-30  Dubai; Apr 24  Dec 25, 2020

If you are confirmed on a combination of World Cruise segments not listed here, please refer to the above for your departure date and the corresponding new final payment due date.

We hope this letter finds you well, and we look forward to welcoming you aboard Crystal Serenity for a voyage of wondrous discovery.

Sincerely,

Crystal

Posted (edited)

Interesting.  They changed the final payment date, but not the schedule of penalties.  I must have booked before they changed that to 6 months, because my 25% penalty starts at 150 days (for a 50 night b2b2b), at least that is what it says on my booking notice.   Extending the final payment date is nice, but offers no help or comfort to those of us who took advantage of the early payment discount.

It also sounds like your 25% penalty will kick in before the final payment date, so if you are delaying final payment with the thought of cancelling, you need to make absolutely sure that would not trigger the 25% penalty and thus cause you to forfeit your full deposit.  I think there is precedent for this at previous times when they offered to delay final payment, but am not 100% certain.  At least it would be wise to make absolutely sure you know the exact terms before you enter your original penalty phase.  Or even before 180 days if that is sooner, just in case your penalty date is what they say now (in Crystal Confidence, which does not apply to next year) instead of what it says on your booking confirmation.

Hopefully before we get to those dates, Crystal will take this a step farther and extend Crystal Confidence into next year.  It is extremely unlikely that we will be able to observe them completing successful sailings before then.

This is just altogether too confusing and unpredictable.  It sounds like Crystal is trying to make it less so, but for me this does not help at all.  But thank you very much for posting it, because I did not receive this notice.

Edited by SusieQft

Too late to edit again -- for the record I have now received the email from Crystal.  My other comments still apply.

Posted (edited)

It looks like me, that Crystal is a state of panic and they are not thinking well enough before making these rapid-fire changes.  This is another way to prevent more customer-initiated cancellation, or at least delay them some more.  I'm sure that's the best they could do in this craziness, though.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that we really should not expect everything coming from Crystal to be well though-out at this time.

Edited by Psoque

4 minutes ago, Psoque said:

This is another way to prevent more customer-initiated cancellation, or at least delay them some more

Not really though as the date for cancellation to avoid penalties remains unchanged - and that's an important point  - so one month before the final date for payment so the real decision point remains unchanged for me ie the date to avoid a 25% cancellation penalty

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Not really though as the date for cancellation to avoid penalties remains unchanged - and that's an important point  - so one month before the final date for payment so the real decision point remains unchanged for me ie the date to avoid a 25% cancellation penalty

I think by extending the final payment due later, Crystal is counting on less people to prematurely cancel the cruise that may end up sailing.  I can't see any other reason for doing this.

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Exactly. We will make our decision to proceed, cancel or defer before the August penalty date kicks-in, pending further guidance from Crystal concerning the expected itinerary for the WC. Which may not be possible to accurately predict by August.

Rob

We seem to be getting different information regarding date when penalty kicks in based on these new final payment dates.

Can one of you "experts" tell me what is penalty date for each of these 2 segments

OCY210121-21  Los Angeles; Jan 21 Sept 23, 2020
OCY210211-18  Brisbane; Feb 11 Oct 14, 2020

Thanks

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bitob said:

Can one of you "experts" tell me what is penalty date for each of these 2 segments

I am far from an expert, and am not 100% certain of my own penalty date for the same two segments, plus the next one.  You should have gotten the email from Crystal that Stickman 1990 quoted in post #1.  The relevant sentence here is:

On 5/18/2020 at 6:50 PM, Stickman1990 said:

Please be advised, the cancellation policy as indicated on your booking confirmation still applies. 

This seems to be the most reliable and recent word on the subject, dated 5/18 and coming straight from Crystal.  So check your booking confirmation.  Yours may not be the same as mine, because it will depend on when you booked and what Crystal's policy was at the time.  I think Crystal has made some changes in the final payment dates and the penalty dates in the past year or two.  Here they say that YOURS is what they put in writing on YOUR booking confirmation.

PS  If you booked them as a b2b, the final payment date (which I assume is your final column) will now be Sept 23 for both, and the penalty date will also be the same for both.  It is considered as one booking beginning on Jan. 21, at least that is the case until Crystal starts cancelling them one segment at a time.  Then, I don't know what rules may apply, if any.

Edited by SusieQft

4 hours ago, bitob said:

We seem to be getting different information regarding date when penalty kicks in based on these new final payment dates.

What is the different information you believe you’re getting?

It’s as SusieQft has outlined above Based on Crystal written advice on the changed final payment dates - and I haven’t seen anything different from that anywhere

All I would like is for someone to state what date the penalty kicks in for the two cruises I mentioned  (in order words, on what date can I cancel and ONLY lose the admin fee).  I want your understanding of the Crystal rules.  We are getting different dates from different TAs.

37 minutes ago, bitob said:

All I would like is for someone to state what date the penalty kicks in for the two cruises I mentioned  (in order words, on what date can I cancel and ONLY lose the admin fee).  I want your understanding of the Crystal rules.  We are getting different dates from different TAs.

We don’t have a copy of your booking confirmation - but presumably you do. That is the key document and will contain the cancellation and penalty dates for your booking. I see you say you have multiple dates from different TAs - that’s confusing as I presume there is only one TA managing your booking

Have a look at your booking confirmation document 

I could tell you the cancellation dates for one of the cruises as it relates to my booking but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are the dates that apply to your booking 

19 minutes ago, bitob said:

I understand your dilemma.  I have also received different answers (to a different but equally important subject) from 2 different TAs.  These are confusing and frustrating times, for sure.  I decided to act as if the correct answer was the one least favorable to me, just to be safe.  As a result, I have a large FCC that I did not apply to the Jan. 21 sailing when I used part of the pending cash part of my 25% FCC/75% cash refund for the trip I was supposed to be enjoying right now.  The TA handling my booking told me I could not get it back unless CRYSTAL cancelled (and I had not).  Another TA told me that if I cancelled before penalty, that I would get the FCC back and could apply it to another sailing, but since she is not the one handling the booking I would have been on pretty shaky ground to hold her accountable for it if she were wrong.  I knew I might cancel this one, so I decided not to risk my FCC on it.  I am still waiting for the rest of my cash refund.  70 days now....

The most likely correct answer is the one given by Crystal, which is what it says on YOUR booking confirmation.  MINE says Aug. 24 for the b2b2b, OCY210121-21 + OCY210211-18 + OCY210301-12.  YOURS might be different.  According the the Crystal letter in post #1, my new final payment date would be Sept. 23.  But I would clearly have to cancel before Aug. 24 to avoid the 25% penalty, despite the now later "final payment" date.  If Crystal Confidence were to be extended otherwise unchanged into 2021, it says that the penalty date would be at 180 days, which is July 25.  My TA told me mine is still Aug. 24, but with all the confusion I just might assume it is July 25, just to be safe.

They did change the penalty dates sometime in the past 2 years, so YOUR penalty date might be different from mine.  You have to look at your booking confirmation from Crystal.  Maybe the TA that booked this for you knows the real date and the other one is going by what the penalty date was before (or after) they changed it, which could be different.  I think, but am not 100% certain, that when they made the change it did not apply to existing bookings, which is why you need to look at YOUR booking confirmation.  That is your contract with Crystal.

Bottom line -- you have to look at your booking confirmation for the answer.  No one on CC can tell you when your penalty date is.

I am hoping that Crystal will extend Crystal Confidence into 2021 before July 25, and that will make us all less nervous about the cancellation date.  If they do, I will not cancel and will accept the risk of turning it into an FCC if I back out later.  Right now that is not an option.