When and how will you book your next cruise?

HUNKY

I know this sounds awful but I am waiting to see how many people get sick or stranded next year before I cruise again.  All the people booking now are in my mind being used by the cruise corporate minds as guinea pigs

• Like 1

We’ve been booked for August 2021 on the Ruby out of SF for several months. Looking forward to it, especially since we took advantage of Best. Sale. Ever. and don’t want to lose that.   We’ll see how it goes in the next year+  before we decide whether we plan to keep our booking or cancel.  I definitely don’t want to get stuck on a quarantined ship should COVID-19 resurge.  And I’m also not too thrilled with how Princess seems to be handling some of this, ie; refunds, etc. 🥴

Edited by Linsifer

Have 2 bookings. Unlikely keeping Enchanted. Hoping April 2021 Crown will be safe to go ahead with. Only reserving refundable hotels, reward flight    Not pre purchasing anything pre cruise. 

I had planned on a cruise this summer and another in the fall but they are definitely a no go now. We already have one booked for January 2021 but will probably cancel it. I doubt there will be a vaccine by then and even if there is I doubt enough people will have had it.

In the future, I will probably book on very short notice. I have had my money tied up on two cancelled cruises for far too long.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:57 AM, SargassoPirate said:

We will book when there's a vaccine in use worldwide and the travel and cruise experience returns to normal.  

We will book with the companies that have stepped up and issued timely refunds on the trips that were cancelled this year - whether cancelled by them or by me as a result of things beyond my control.

If you plan to wait on a vaccine and normal crusie experience to return I'd be willing to bet cash you've taken your last cruise.  If they get a vaccine (which is a big if) there is almost no way the cruise experience returns to normal based on our previous definition of normal.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, iancal said:

Tedferg...since retiring and having no firm schedule we tend to book independent land stays anywhere from a day to three days in advance.  Earlier if we know the accommodation.   Air is either one way or open jaw.  

This is intriguing, we too are well retired. Our previous trips were impacted by cat sitting schedule 🙂 We currently have no pet and do feel more independent. So taking your example we could look at cruises out of New York, say, that fell within three or so days of each other, book one way air and decided to spend two to three days depending on which cruise we finally chose. Then one way air home booked last minute ???? I guess last minute cruise fares are significantly lower right ? We live in Northern California so could look at cruises out of SFO, LA or San Diego, even Seattle where air fare is relatively low and in some cases we could even drive to departure port.

As I said, this topic could be a thread of its own. Apologies for hijacking this thread.

We spent seven weeks in Mexico this winter.  Our intention was to fly home through FLL or MIA and pick up a last minute Caribbean cruise.   In early March it became very clear that a cruise was not in the cards.

We have returned from Europe on one ways three times.  Once by cruise, once by cruise air on a last minute cruise from Rome to Barcelona, and once by buying a ticket on Transat.   Last fall we went to flew to Greece on an open jaw ticket.  Direct to Athens.  Home from London.  We planned to spend a five weeks in Greece, and then two weeks somewhere else....Israel, Cyprus, Morocco, or ?   We knew that whatever we decided we could get a low cost flight to London.   We picked Cypus.   There were religious holidays in Israel.   We got a great air fare to Cyprus, and back through London so that is what we did.   We shopped for last minute cruises but preferred our land plans since we have done several Med cruises.

We have come home one way from Australia twice.   Well priced tickets to Hawaii are easy to get, then getting the rest of the way home on one ways is not an issue. One way cruise air home was much more expensive than we could get on our own. We find it easier to get one way tickets going to Europe that we do coming back,  Not certain why that is . Perhaps we are not shopping a diligently as we might.

Every day I wake up and check my credit card account for activity and see no refunds from Princess, there is less and less chance of me ever booking a Princess cruise. Ditto the checks I am supposed to have received by April 1. Even if Princess would come through with all the funds (not FCC) we are due today, it will be hard to forget the outright lies we have been told for over three months now. 

I can’t give my money to a business I can’t trust, and I can no longer trust Princess. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Every day I wake up and check my credit card account for activity and see no refunds from Princess, there is less and less chance of me ever booking a Princess cruise. Ditto the checks I am supposed to have received by April 1. Even if Princess would come through with all the funds (not FCC) we are due today, it will be hard to forget the outright lies we have been told for over three months now. 

I can’t give my money to a business I can’t trust, and I can no longer trust Princess. 

someone posted a thread about receiving their refund today.  Said their cruise was mid march.  Also Princess posted on their facebook page that they are working a backlog of refunds;  they  paid back millions in the past few days.  Hope this helps.

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

I just booked my next cruise about 2 hours ago.  We have been slowing figuring out what we want to do about travel, having multiple discussions over the last several days.

The painful one was cancelling the family Thanksgiving trip to FL.  We have a 2 year old and a 4 year old grandbabies to consider, so I pulled the plug and the whole family agreed with me.

Next, is our trip to see les bebes this August.  Seems OK, right?  However, the county that DTW airport is in has over 19,000 covid19 cases, and over 3,200 deaths.  Factored for population between that county and where I live in CA, they have 11 times more cases.  So, we're not thinking their pandemic curve will be over in 2.5 months.  

Next was our cruise plans for this Fall.  We agreed that flying during flu season this year without a vaccine is not a good idea, so we canceled two RCCL cruises for the end of Nov and early Dec.  FCC or refunds on both of them.

We had a Princess cruise booked for late Oct, and that got the boot, too, but now the good news!!

We found a cruise to Hawaii leaving SF next April, and moved the deposit for the booted Oct cruise to the new one.  No flying, and maybe, just maybe we'll have a vaccine.  Again, refundable deposit.

I have been keeping up on what the cruise industry is planning to do for passenger safety, and I'm pleased with what I'm reading.  Plus Hawaii is literally taking prisoners if people mess with their public health directives, so we might be sailing for the relaxation, ocean views, and Hawaiian scenery, but at least we have a nice place to live for 15 days, unlimited drinks and wifi, and most likely great weather!  

😷

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

I’m booked on the November 23, 2020 Ruby Princess to Hawaii from San Francisco. Like others have said I’m happy in getting the “Best Ever Sale” plus it will be my first Medallion Cruise so I have 2 things to look 👀 forward to. Im trying to keep positive that the cruise goes as scheduled. 

Tom😀

On 5/19/2020 at 11:56 AM, richsea said:

We won’t book anything until there is a clear picture of what life on board will be.I can’t imagine having to wear a mask on board, or even social distancing on board, so we probably will not cruise until they come up with a real vaccine, not a makes me feel safer vaccine like our fearless leader takes.

Totally agree.  We received a survey from AmTrak yesterday about future travel plans, etc.  In the comment section I stated that we would not consider travel on any commercial carrier until there is a viable vaccine in use wordlwide and the travel experience returns to normal without masks and distancing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Would you mind explaining your reasons for not accepting FCC, again?

It was very important, and reasonable -- but, I can't remember the details.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’m booked on the November 23, 2020 Ruby Princess to Hawaii from San Francisco. Like others have said I’m happy in getting the “Best Ever Sale” plus it will be my first Medallion Cruise so I have 2 things to look 👀 forward to. Im trying to keep positive that the cruise goes as scheduled. 

Tom😀

I am  not sure Hawaii will be opening it's ports to cruise ships this year if it still has strict 14 day quarantine requirements for all visitors until June 30th and they will probably extend it again.....especially if there is no remedy of any kind for COVID-19 which nobody is predicting will happen by  then.....

Booking a cruise in 2021 and beyond is total fantasy IMHO.  Cruise lines have no realistic idea of which ships will be available, which ports will be open, and how to do "social distancing" and all the new rules to keep passengers and crew safe.  Cruising will be different, significantly altered from pre-Covid-19 days.  Book now and you are just giving cruise lines money they will use to both keep you interested (hooked) and to use for their current expenses.  Once cruise lines have established new policies and procedures consistent with US CDC and similar organizations in other countries, then begin looking at itinerary and ship options.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

Would you mind explaining your reasons for not accepting FCC, again?

It was very important, and reasonable -- but, I can't remember the details.

Thank you.

Our refunds are not part of the COVID-19 related cruise cancellations. We are owed money for two things:  refundable OBC from cruises we disembarked in December and February and the return of expired Future Cruise Deposit funds when we cancelled the cruises they had been applied to. Both are normal events that are supposed to automatically generate refunds, either in a check or to a credit card. These things took place before all the cruise cancellations starting in March and we are still waiting. 

22 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I agree completely.  I have several businesses or companies that are currently on my "boycott" list either because of their corporate actions of because of the way I have been treated by them.  Princess is just about ready to be added to that list.  Every time I contact them about getting back my FCDs that I asked to be refunded on March 18th I get a very friendly Princess customer service agent but they are unable to provide me with any anticipated dates of the refund being applied to my credit card account.  Asking for a supervisor does not get any further information.  Yes they are inundated with processing tens of thousands of refunds, but the excuses they have just don't hold water.  They process hundreds, if not thousands, of deposit and final payment requests daily without any delay in posting to credit card accounts.  Processing simple refunds should not be any different.  Unfortunately when looking at a couple of the other cruise line boards I'm seeing the same dissatisfaction with those companies also.

• Like 1

We won't book any cruises until we get our refund. Also won't book until there is a vaccine available. We aren't going to walk around all day wearing a face mask. All depends on if this pandemic returns. How will the ship handle large gatherings?

Edited by KEN W

5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Booking a cruise in 2021 and beyond is total fantasy IMHO.  Cruise lines have no realistic idea of which ships will be available, which ports will be open, and how to do "social distancing" and all the new rules to keep passengers and crew safe.  Cruising will be different, significantly altered from pre-Covid-19 days.  Book now and you are just giving cruise lines money they will use to both keep you interested (hooked) and to use for their current expenses.  Once cruise lines have established new policies and procedures consistent with US CDC and similar organizations in other countries, then begin looking at itinerary and ship options.  

And, what's wrong with booking ahead?  The cruise lines I book with are reputable, and I WANT them to keep the lights on and stay in business.  

It's pretty rare in today's business environment that large corporations don't go for reorganization bankruptcy to stay in business.  Plus, my credit card benefits cover me for 4 months after purchase, and in case of the supplier's bankruptcy/refusal to reimburse.

I've been keeping up on the cruise news and also hotel and restaurant changes.  After all that's what a cruise ship is:  a floating hotel/restaurant complex.  I like what I'm reading.

Plus, not all cruising fits all people.  A blanket statement that it's fantasy doesn't fit us, for instance.  We keep to ourselves on cruise ships, anyway, and are not involved in large groups except for evening drinks and the ever-hated muster drill.  Those are specific things the cruise lines are working on:  crowding people together, and avoiding it.