When and how will you book your next cruise?

HUNKY

On 5/19/2020 at 6:50 PM, Elevatorman said:

I know this sounds awful but I am waiting to see how many people get sick or stranded next year before I cruise again.  All the people booking now are in my mind being used by the cruise corporate minds as guinea pigs

You’re not alone in your thinking. After 30+ cruises, we’re  also going to wait a year and see how things go. I’ve heard that people in the country fall into three categories... 30% want to rush out like nothing happened ... 30% are very concerned and still are planning to “stay-at-home” for the time being ... and the 40% in the middle are beginning to move about but carefully listening to science and medical experts for guidance. These people are wearing masks, aren’t “dining in,” are socially distancing and staying away from anything that looks too crowded.  I fall into this 40% category. So, no cruising for us in the near future but I’ll be carefully watching these boards to see how things onboard are going.

• Like 4

We are the same.  Cautious with our health, cautious with our money.

So, before we even consider booking we want to understand what the cruise ship environment will be.  Cannot see how they can handle distancing.  No point booking a cruise that we cannot enjoy the way we wish.

No point in booking a cruise now based on the itinerary and port stops listed today.  By the time the ship leaves these may be very different. Same for cruise port venues.

Finally, apart from the unknowns above the last thing we want to do is get into that booking, cancellation, re-booking nonsense while all the while the cruise line has our money.  120-180 refunds don`t impress us, not at all interested in cruise line FCC`s or airline credits. 

Booking a cruise provides us with zero enjoyment.  The enjoyment for us starts  at embarkation.  No prepared to buy a pig in a poke given the current uncertainty in the industry and with the virus.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 6:14 AM, dog said:

Have 2 bookings. Unlikely keeping Enchanted. Hoping April 2021 Crown will be safe to go ahead with. Only reserving refundable hotels, reward flight    Not pre purchasing anything pre cruise. 

should see some more using FCC. I put mine on April 2021 Crown to lock in price. Can always change to fall 2021. I expect prices to increase. Not expecting price drops. 

• Like 1

Have a HI circle cruise out of San Pedro booked for Thanksgiving, but I fear that it’s not going to happen. I have my eye on the April TA on the Enchanted, but I’m waiting on my FCD from my cancelled Alaska June cruise to be returned into my account before booking the TA. I have 1 FCD in my account right now, but that is earmarked for an Alaskan 2021 cruise out of San Pedro should a suite suddenly become available. All suite and all minis are sold out for all 4 sailings next July/August.

We are in the wait and see group. This whole situation is new to everyone. A lot of frustration going around on both sides.

It breaks my heart to know that I can not even dream about a booked cruise until after next January - March 2021.

I am hoping that soon monies will be returned to those who should get it back. We only had a FCD applied to our Alaska cruise however since it was in August we have not seen any difference yet. Patience is being used as I know we are near the bottom of that very long list of customers who want their refund. 

I've been booking at the last minute for years, so that won't change for me. One year ago today I booked my back-to-back cruises to Alaska. I left three and a half weeks later. 

My other two cruises last year had a little bit longer lead time--10 weeks for our transatlantic cruise and six weeks for my partial Panama Canal cruise. I don't see changing my strategy--looking for last-minute bargains that fit my schedule. 

I never loved Princess, I tolerated them for some extended journeys.  I always preferred smaller ships like Oceania and Azamara.  Now, despite being a CCL shareholder, I will never cruise Princess again.  Too big, too much lying to customers (both in relation to COVID outbreaks and refunds).  I'm out and I'll sell my shares as soon as/if they are ever worth anything again.  Although the smaller lines are more expensive I will cruise less but more expensively.  Not that we have a lot of choice about the 'less' part just now anyway. 

Edited by lahore
  • Like 1

Have two booked late this year.... after that.... will book another one but it will depend on the price.. as well as what life is like on board.... so my mum's health is not look good... so that could put a stop on going to sea.....for a while

So it is all up in the air,,, not that I will be flying anywhere......

Just go with the flow

Cheers Don

On 5/27/2020 at 12:14 AM, lahore said:

I never loved Princess, I tolerated them for some extended journeys.  I always preferred smaller ships like Oceania and Azamara.  Now, despite being a CCL shareholder, I will never cruise Princess again.  Too big, too much lying to customers (both in relation to COVID outbreaks and refunds).  I'm out and I'll sell my shares as soon as/if they are ever worth anything again.  Although the smaller lines are more expensive I will cruise less but more expensively.  Not that we have a lot of choice about the 'less' part just now anyway. 

Are you waiting for a refund? If so will you use the FCC?

On 5/26/2020 at 9:14 PM, lahore said:

I'm with you too.....we have usually preferred Princess but after this fiasco we just decided you get what you pay for and we are now ready to go to smaller ships too like Oceania, Silver Sea, Seabourn, etc.

Edited by PrincessLuver

I thought Oceania and Regent Silver Sea is owned by Norwegian cruise line; so although they are smaller ships; they are owned by a big company

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

We had 2 FCC's that were put back into our account when we cancelled this year's Baltic/TA on the Sky.  Both were due to expire within the coming months, and from reading these boards, I was not confident the $100 would be returned to us if we did not use them.  So we have booked 50 nights to South America on the Discovery in January 2022.  Its far enough out (hopefully) that we will get a clear picture of what the "new normal" will be in terms of cruising.

We had the option of booking this as one cruise for a cheaper price and perks.  But Princess will not allow the use of FCC's on a 50 night cruise, so we would have had to pay the full deposit.  I was not willing to invest any actual money into Princess, or any cruise line, at the moment.  So we have elected to book it as two cruises, which is more expensive, but doesn't require us to invest any more money that we could potentially lose.

I am not hopeful that this cruise will happen.  I am doubtful that the Discovery will even be built.  And unless there is a proven vaccine available, and widely distributed, we will not be going either way.

We miss cruising VERY much.  But simply not willing to blindly resume without safeguards in place.  Sad times. 

Edited by High C's