Rumor has it, more cancellations may be announced soon

CineGraphic

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Thank you for that article. As one who lives in an area that many from NY City and its surrounding area visit and stay in the summer, it scares the hell out of me.

This sure didn't help either  https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/one-final-viral-infusion-trumps-move-to-block-travel-from-europe-triggered-chaos-and-a-surge-of-passengers-from-the-outbreaks-center/2020/05/23/64836a00-962b-11ea-82b4-c8db161ff6e5_story.html

6 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

The article is "right on".  We got off a cruise ship in Barcelona on March 13 and flew that day to London to spend the night as the word we got was that we could still enter the USA from England.  We arrived at the mad house at JFK and were exposed to everything there.  Luckily, we did not end up sick.   What a disaster it was.

• Like 1

This is one time when I hope folks will prove me wrong on here! Living in Vancouver, I honestly can't see any cruises here this year. Our health minister has already warned that international or non-essential travel will not be possible until a vaccine or immunity is found. She said outright that cruise ships would not be permitted to disembark any passengers for the foreseeable future. Our border closures with the US have just been extended at least another month. 
With the extension, when will the port open?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

At first, the article concerned me as I have a cruise to Hawaii scheduled for March of 2021.  On a second reading of the article however, it appears that the article is stating that Hawaii Economic Development & Tourism is predicting a slow return of tourism from cruise ships.  It does not appear that Hawaii will be closed to cruise ships until late 2021.  They just think the numbers will be down.

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

At first, the article concerned me as I have a cruise to Hawaii scheduled for March of 2021.  On a second reading of the article however, it appears that the article is stating that Hawaii Economic Development & Tourism is predicting a slow return of tourism from cruise ships.  It does not appear that Hawaii will be closed to cruise ships until late 2021.  They just think the numbers will be down.

Fingers crossed! I'm also due to be sailing to Hawaii in March so hope things are settled down by then. I agree, the article doesn't indicate that ports will be closed but I wonder if they are basing the assumption that cruise tourism will be down based on the fact that ports ARE likely to be closed? Who knows....I am hoping for the best, preparing for the worst!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, I object 2 said:

We're booked for round trip LA/Hawaii for our 50th wedding anniversary this coming November.  We're also hoping for the best!

Hawaii.gov says no cruises until second half of 2021. I'm booked on RCCL from Hawaii 5/5/2021, so I suppose that is not going to happen. Trying to book air on Southwest going from now until in October 2020 [that is as far out as their current schedule] and there are no flights offered.

https://dbedt.hawaii.gov/economic/qser/outlook-economy/

Edited by sugcarol
addl info

8 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

Hawaii.gov says no cruises until second half of 2021. I'm booked on RCCL from Hawaii 5/5/2021, so I suppose that is not going to happen. Trying to book air on Southwest going from now until in October 2020 [that is as far out as their current schedule] and there are no flights offered.

Dang ... there goes another one of my bookings right down the drain.  I guess it is to be expected but that will probably be cruise #6 that is canceled for us.  My travel agent just applied my FCC's to this booking yesterday.  I guess if they cancel it, I'll use them at another time.  

11 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Dang ... there goes another one of my bookings right down the drain.  I guess it is to be expected but that will probably be cruise #6 that is canceled for us.  My travel agent just applied my FCC's to this booking yesterday.  I guess if they cancel it, I'll use them at another time.  

I'm heartbroken not only for myself and so many others. I was on phone for 2 hours yesterday and 3 hours today, the wait times for resolution to do a 3 way call is insane.

4 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

I'm heartbroken not only for myself and so many others. I was on phone for 2 hours yesterday and 3 hours today, the wait times for resolution to do a 3 way call is insane.

As much as I hated to do it, I just emailed my TA and asked her to have Princess to remove them and place them back into my account ... only because it took so long for them to get all the FCCs applied correctly (and still waiting on refunds from 3 canceled sailings).  

I have been able to just do all my dealings via email ... I would lose patience with being on the phone for that long.  I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that.  

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

As much as I hated to do it, I just emailed my TA and asked her to have Princess to remove them and place them back into my account ... only because it took so long for them to get all the FCCs applied correctly (and still waiting on refunds from 3 canceled sailings).  

I have been able to just do all my dealings via email ... I would lose patience with being on the phone for that long.  I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that.  

I booked my original cruise 6/11/19 sailing 9/6/20  on Liberty. The nurse still in me said no way will it cruise so on 5/8 I started the changing process, Every person and supervisor made  the whole thing worse. I called again yesterday and they screwed it up and then today I was on hold and they kept disconnecting me. I know they are insane busy but still we are trying to cruise with them instead of bailing totally although today I did consider it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sugcarol said:

Trying to book air on Southwest going from now until in October 2020 [that is as far out as their current schedule] and there are no flights offered.

Since Hawaii currently requires anyone entering the state (or flying between its islands) to quarantine for 14 days after arrival, demand to fly to Hawaii is close to zero.

That is why Southwest currently has no flights scheduled to Hawaii currently.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sugcarol said:

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

WAIT BEFORE YOU ACT ON THIS INFORMATION!  Nothing in that link says the government of Hawaii is banning cruises until late 2021.  What that link refers to is an economic projection for the economy of Hawaii.  Their figures are based on a number of factors one of which is a premise (guess) that Hawaii will not see a lot of cruise related tourists in early 2021.  This is merely an economic prediction that makes an assumption that people won't want to sail to Hawaii until late 2021.  This is NOT a ban on cruise ships.  

See the first sentence on that web page:  "The outlook of Hawaii’s economy is based on the following assumptions:"

Edited by Daniel A

I wouldnt believe those rumors. The only actual fact check that can be done is either by calling the company directly or writing them an email to confirm any rumors that you had. Be careful, if you purchase a cruise before an oficial announcement about its cancelation - you will not be refunded. Please keep it in mind and wait for the actual, oficial news 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Nonsense....people are getting refunds every day.

That looked like a broad generalization but I think Roger88 meant cancelling cruises as far out as next year after a restart of cruising.  Just my interpretation...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

WAIT BEFORE YOU ACT ON THIS INFORMATION!  Nothing in that link says the government of Hawaii is banning cruises until late 2021.  What that link refers to is an economic projection for the economy of Hawaii.  Their figures are based on a number of factors one of which is a premise (guess) that Hawaii will not see a lot of cruise related tourists in early 2021.  This is merely an economic prediction that makes an assumption that people won't want to sail to Hawaii until late 2021.  This is NOT a ban on cruise ships.  

See the first sentence on that web page:  "The outlook of Hawaii’s economy is based on the following assumptions:"

Yes, it is ... thank you!!  I am not bailing on the cruise until Princess bails on it, if they do.  But, just don't want to wait for months and months to get the FCCs returned back into my account if that cruise is ultimately canceled.  I would plan on adding it back if all looks possible but, not until final payment.  Their lockdown restriction looks pretty strict, so I agree, there is a 50/50 chance that it will happen.  

Looks like Princess is adding the FCCs automatically, without the customer's request.  At first, I thought, why not?  I've heard people have had a hard time getting it applied to certain cruises .... but, just as they've upgraded people with future sailings they know are not going to happen, it concerned me enough to just play it on the safe side for now.  I can wait to see if they are even up and running by then.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 10:24 PM, caribill said:

Since Hawaii currently requires anyone entering the state (or flying between its islands) to quarantine for 14 days after arrival, demand to fly to Hawaii is close to zero.

That is why Southwest currently has no flights scheduled to Hawaii currently.

Hawaii is talking too of requiring all airline passengers from the mainland to have a certificate of a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours before boarding a plane with travel to Hawaii.  They are also talking about establishing a travel bubble with Japan and possibly Australia and New Zealand because their rates of infection are so low.  

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2020/05/29/hawaii-news/ige-to-extend-traveler-quarantine-past-june/

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Daniel A said:

and this  

Eugene Tian, Ph.D, Economic Research Administrator for the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism responded to our inquiry regarding the line in their report which stated “No cruise visitors until second half of 2021″. His clarification received via email is below: 
Regarding the cruise visitors to Hawaii, that is a pure assumption by a group of economists within the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism, the assumption is NOT a decision of government officials.  Our assumption is on the conservative side, the purpose is to provide the economic impact of a conservative scenario.  The assumption is based on two factors: (1) the projected COVID-19 pandemic will finish by the end of 2020 worldwide; (2) people are reluctant to travel via cruise for a few month after the ending of the pandemic.
There are a few cruise ships are scheduled to visit Hawaii during Fall this year.  If the 14-day quarantine for transpacific visitors is lifted earlier than September, the cruise ship visiting will be possible and visitor arrivals to Hawaii will be higher than we assumed.

• Thanks 1

It will depend on the news coming from major world economies. If they feel that keeping the self-isolation mode may threaten their economy they will not issue any more limitations. And, on the other hand if they fell that situation comes to normal nothing will be done in this case and no cancelations will be announced. It all depends on the current status 

2 hours ago, dockman said:

and this  

Eugene Tian, Ph.D, Economic Research Administrator for the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism responded to our inquiry regarding the line in their report which stated “No cruise visitors until second half of 2021″. His clarification received via email is below: 
Regarding the cruise visitors to Hawaii, that is a pure assumption by a group of economists within the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism, the assumption is NOT a decision of government officials.  Our assumption is on the conservative side, the purpose is to provide the economic impact of a conservative scenario.  The assumption is based on two factors: (1) the projected COVID-19 pandemic will finish by the end of 2020 worldwide; (2) people are reluctant to travel via cruise for a few month after the ending of the pandemic.
There are a few cruise ships are scheduled to visit Hawaii during Fall this year.  If the 14-day quarantine for transpacific visitors is lifted earlier than September, the cruise ship visiting will be possible and visitor arrivals to Hawaii will be higher than we assumed.

I would bet on the professor because COVID-19 is not going away anytime soon and I cannot see Hawaii exposing it's citizens to 3,000 or more passengers on a cruise ship coming ashore not knowing who could have COVD-19 and who doesn't.  It will be much easier for them to monitor airline arrivals.

Edited by PrincessLuver

7 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I would bet on the professor because COVID-19 is not going away anytime soon and I cannot see Hawaii exposing it's citizens to 3,000 or more passengers on a cruise ship coming ashore not knowing who could have COVD-19 and who doesn't.  It will be much easier for them to monitor airline arrivals.

Did you actually read what Dr. Tian wrote?  He said "the projected COVID-19 pandemic will finish by the end of 2020 worldwide; (2) people are reluctant to travel via cruise for a few month after the ending of the pandemic.

There are a few cruise ships are scheduled to visit Hawaii during Fall this year.  If the 14-day quarantine for transpacific visitors is lifted earlier than September, the cruise ship visiting will be possible and visitor arrivals to Hawaii will be higher than we assumed."

You appear to be mischaracterizing what Dr. Tian wrote.  In no way was he endorsing keeping Hawaii closed to cruise ships through the fall.  He was merely making a economic projection.