Rumor has it, more cancellations may be announced soon

CineGraphic

29 minutes ago, Coral said:

Still waiting on April refund here.

Don't think it is only Princess.... my Mum is still waiting for a refund from cancelled March cruise on Azamara....but she did get her shore excursions refunded a couple of weeks ago ..... still waiting.....

Refund is now the latest form of Cruise.....

Cheers Din

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Don't think it is only Princess.... my Mum is still waiting for a refund from cancelled March cruise on Azamara....but she did get her shore excursions refunded a couple of weeks ago ..... still waiting.....

Refund is now the latest form of Cruise.....

Cheers Din

Yea - I cancelled first of March so almost at 90 days here.

Edited by Coral

5 hours ago, Coral said:

Note that it says:

Given the volume of refund requests and the care being dedicated to handling each booking accurately, we appreciate your continued patience during this time. Please note that we are unable to use our usual automated refund process. Each request therefore requires a thorough manual review that is further constrained by the fact that our teams are required to work from home under the “stay-at-home” orders.Please know that we are doing our best to expedite where possible.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Princess did have a few cruises listed for August, but I see they have now gone from their website.  I suspect the 15 that are listed for September will be disappearing shortly as well.   

September is now down to eight cruises on the Princess website.   

Many of them involve Australia and I wonder if they will reopen their borders?  Currently, the status for Australia is "At the current time, only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members are permitted to travel to Australia. "  https://www.australia.com/en-us/travel-alerts/coronavirus.html

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Many of them involve Australia and I wonder if they will reopen their borders?  Currently, the status for Australia is "At the current time, only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members are permitted to travel to Australia. "  https://www.australia.com/en-us/travel-alerts/coronavirus.html

If our borders open, it is likely to be only within a bubble with New Zealand, and flying before cruising. Cruising is not a priority with either Government.😞

17 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

No chance this year of people coming from overseas (maybe except NZ) or of these cruises taking place.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:21 AM, CarelessAndConfused said:

I also had a California Coastal out of Vancouver in October 2020.  I canceled early April because I knew it would not sail and I didn't want to wait until Princess canceled as I was not confident I would get my refund.  I still haven't received it yet and it is on CC dispute since 5/5.

You "knew" in early April that your October cruise would not sail? Wow! I was much more optimistic. Never dreamed back then that this business would last into the Fall.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, memoak said:

The minibar gives you options for in room drinks that you don’t have to pay for.  The drink package does not work for room service.  Totally different perk

Also, fountain sodas with package, canned sodas with mini-bar. We already get mini bar and all the wifi minutes I need (as elite), and we drink only a couple alcoholic drinks, and maybe a glass or two of wine, on a seven day cruise. So, for us, the "Plus package" is not worth the additional cost.

1 hour ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

OK. I guess the rumor was true. Can we now move on?

May I suggest, if you are not interested in the thread you don't have to read or follow it.   

I think it is helpful to keep each other informed about what the latest information is on cancellations.   

• Like 6

5 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Also, fountain sodas with package, canned sodas with mini-bar. We already get mini bar and all the wifi minutes I need (as elite), and we drink only a couple alcoholic drinks, and maybe a glass or two of wine, on a seven day cruise. So, for us, the "Plus package" is not worth the additional cost.

For us a seven day cruise isn't worth it unless it's an "add on" either before or after a longer cruise. 😉

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thrak said:

For us a seven day cruise isn't worth it unless it's an "add on" either before or after a longer cruise. 😉

I've seen you post this before … is it just not worth it to you because of the pre and post cruise travel , or something else ?

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

I've seen you post this before … is it just not worth it to you because of the pre and post cruise travel , or something else ?

7 days is just too dang short to be worth the hassle of driving to the nearest airport and flying somewhere or driving to San Francisco and paying for the parking. With a 7 day cruise you just barely get onboard and settled in and it's over. We've had a couple that were tacked onto a longer cruise that worked out fine and a couple that were the southbound after an Alaska land tour that just really seemed short. (When I was working we actually did a couple of 4 day cruises because that's all I could fit in at the time. Those were crazy short.) 10 days is okay. Longer is better. I really wouldn't want the hassle of a flight to FLL just for a 7 day cruise. Those end up being all day flights (like 12 - 14 hours) each way. We do have a 7 day Western Caribbean booked for May but it's immediately followed by an 18 day that leaves out of FLL. That will mean a flight to FLL and then one home from Southampton. I'm not at all confident those cruises will actually happen though.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

You "knew" in early April that your October cruise would not sail? Wow! I was much more optimistic. Never dreamed back then that this business would last into the Fall.

When the first "pause" was announced I told several clients I'd be surprised if ANY ships sailed in 2020 ..... each week we seem to be getting closer and closer to my Magic 8-ball of a prediction being true 😞

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

When the first "pause" was announced I told several clients I'd be surprised if ANY ships sailed in 2020 ..... each week we seem to be getting closer and closer to my Magic 8-ball of a prediction being true 😞

Early on, we were looking at a Sep 16 sailing from Vancouver to Hawaii. I told my wife, "If this virus is still an issue at that time, that won't be our biggest problem." Well, that turns out to be mostly true, as well. We do have a Dec 20 booking on the Island Princess. Do you have a prediction? I've gone from certain to hopeful.

14 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

May I suggest, if you are not interested in the thread you don't have to read or follow it.   

I think it is helpful to keep each other informed about what the latest information is on cancellations.   

14 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Oh, I am interested. I'm just getting a little tired of the guessing, and especially the opinions or mis-interpretations that are put out as fact.

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I was just using that as an example. I also prefer 10-15 days, if practical. It's just that 7 days seems to be a benchmark. As far as the Plus package is concerned, I have calculated the cost. After the gratuities, the cost for the wifi and drink package amounts to $25/day/person. That's a helluva deal for someone who was planning on buying the drink package. But we don't want $25/day in drinks, everyday. So we'll stick with the "Saver" rate, and our elite benefits.

The real problem is that the cruise lines just don't know what it will take to get back to cruising.  Cancelling cruises?  No - that implies refunds which they don't have the coin to give back.  Schedules?  Not a clue as no one has directed what social distancing will be required, what medical produces will be needed, and which ports will be available.  In the mean they are happy to take your money to reserve something that most likely will not happen as proposed.  You are playing on their turf with their ball and they can change the game at a moment's notice include pricing, itineraries and procedures.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking (longingly) at the Princess website for future cruises, I see that they now have a warning banner on the home page that states " Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Stay updated on current Travel Advisories and Health & Safety protocols."

Now that Hawaii has announced a reopening of tourism (with the requirement of a covid check for those arriving) in August, I am hoping that the Hawaii cruises that are still showing on the Princess website for October may be able to happen.

33 minutes ago, bobk57 said:

Visitors to Hawaii must have a Covid-19 test 3 days prior to arriving.  That means cruise ship medical staff will have to do the testing on the ship.  

Someone mentioned on another thread mentioned that labs doing  the testing must also be certified.  Getting that certification could be a challenge for a lab on board the ship.  As you say, the testing must also be done 3 days in advance, so that would have to be planned into the itinerary - perhaps and extra day at sea on the way there to allow for that?

Edited by Smokeyham

19 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Looking (longingly) at the Princess website for future cruises, I see that they now have a warning banner on the home page that states " Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here. Stay updated on current Travel Advisories and Health & Safety protocols."

Now that Hawaii has announced a reopening of tourism (with the requirement of a covid check for those arriving) in August, I am hoping that the Hawaii cruises that are still showing on the Princess website for October may be able to happen.

Don’t count on any Hawaii cruises this year. 
https://cruise.blog/2020/05/hawaii-estimates-no-cruise-visitors-until-late-2021