Marine Traffic shows Pursuit heading to Glasgow

suzyluvs2cruise

Does not surprise me, they could do an embarkation at Greenock (its actually Greenock not Glasgow that the actual port is at).  They could do a round UK cruise that might appeal to UK guests and could use senior officers already based in the UK plus hope other staff can be embarked through UK arrangements.

I did wonder if they might be one of the ships heading there (I know the Forth and Southampton moorings are full) when I read this article.  I doubt the local council can stop it but some people are upset that Greenock is being used - Inverclyde where Greenock is based is our worst Covid hotspot in Scotland 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52713312

4 minutes ago, uktog said:

Does not surprise me, they could do an embarkation at Greenock (its actually Greenock not Glasgow that the actual port is at).  They could do a round UK cruise that might appeal to UK guests and could use senior officers already based in the UK plus hope other staff can be embarked through UK arrangements.

I did wonder if they might be one of the ships heading there (I know the Forth and Southampton moorings are full) when I read this article.  I doubt the local council can stop it but some people are upset that Greenock is being used - Inverclyde where Greenock is based is our worst Covid hotspot in Scotland 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-52713312

Just hoping that a decision about Pursuit's July 6 British Isles cruise will be made soon for those of us not in the UK. 
Your idea does sound feasible for UK cruisers. I hadn't thought about something like that. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

That's interesting. Thanks. Will just have to see what happens. I know many of the crew transferred to Harmony of the Seas and are headed to Barbados before flights home to the Philippines for example. 

It's a huge operation. I really do not want to be pessimistic, but wonder what is next?  All three ships aren't going to get back in service at the same time. 

Oh and Captain Carl lives in Isle of Man. They could drop him off.😗

This is all conjecture. None of us know what is going to pass. 

Phil 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Just hoping that a decision about Pursuit's July 6 British Isles cruise will be made soon for those of us not in the UK. 
Your idea does sound feasible for UK cruisers. I hadn't thought about something like that. 

Early July is peak holiday season in Scotland so they might also be hoping to attract other customers in addition to the existing cruisers.  

For non UK cruisers, it may become a little clearer later this week (Thursday I believe) when more details are to be released about what the UK government calls Travel Corridors and quarantine requirements.  I think it all will depend on the rate of virus in your home country.

The other thing to bear in mind for a Scottish embarkation, we are on separate path to England at present (our release from lockdown is slower) - currently it seems to be 28 May at the earliest before we will even be allowed to meet with someone outside our own household and then the expectation is one person only outside.  Now they might ramp up the rate of changes between then and early July but whether hotels will be open I am not sure.

(I really do hope Azamara management have spotted that whilst immigration is a UK issue, the implementation of Covid restrictions to the businesses and population is a devolved activity so there are different jurisdictions in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland.  Its a subtlety that US centric decision makers are unlikely to grasp the detail of though there is good clear information on the devolved government websites)

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I may be overly pessimistic (as I've already started), but do you think that the UK will be ready to welcome a cruise ship in July?  I don't. Two hopes. Bob Hope and no hope, but fingers and everything crossed I'm wrong. You wouldn't get me on a ship this year, even if it was physically possible. 

Phil 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I may be overly pessimistic (as I've already started), but do you think that the UK will be ready to welcome a cruise ship in July?  I don't. Two hopes. Bob Hope and no hope, but fingers and everything crossed I'm wrong. You wouldn't get me on a ship this year, even if it was physically possible. 

Phil 

We're not anxious to get on a cruise ship yet either. Then there's flying to get there. For us it would be from LAX so a long flight. In addition, our flights to Dublin were cancelled as was the hotel. I just don't see the cruise happening and hope tomorrow might bring an announcement as there's a Conference Call On Business Update And First Quarter scheduled for May 20 at 10am EST. 

May 20 Conference Call

According to the BBC Greenock Council have again refused permission tonight for the ships to tie up there but there will be ongoing discussions with Peel (who own the docking facilities) and the Council.  The port authorities were definitely giving the impression it was lay ups until cruises could start and that it would then be embarkations - might that be in July?  Depends on what the road map to exit is from the Scottish Government who have to date been much more cautious than Westminster (something I personally support even though it is so hard on businesses)

15 minutes ago, uktog said:

According to the BBC Greenock Council have again refused permission tonight for the ships to tie up there but there will be ongoing discussions with Peel (who own the docking facilities) and the Council.  The port authorities were definitely giving the impression it was lay ups until cruises could start and that it would then be embarkations - might that be in July?  Depends on what the road map to exit is from the Scottish Government who have to date been much more cautious than Westminster (something I personally support even though it is so hard on businesses)

Time will tell on what happens going forward. Thanks for the updates. Please continue as you hear more. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Thought Carl's family lived in the Czech Republic, Phil.  He is from the Isle of Man.

Al, you are correct!  He does indeed live in the Czech Republic. Silly me!  Hope you and Donna are well. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Thought Carl's family lived in the Czech Republic, Phil.  He is from the Isle of Man.

You are correct, he loves to take his ships to visit the island.

Some of Pursuits European crew are on Freedom of the Seas, awaiting flights home.

Edited by Bloodaxe

This morning it appears they are looking to expand docking facilities even more on the Upper River Clyde by bringing back the historic George V dock at Shieldhall back into service as a point for cruise ships to tie up, so maybe Azamara is indeed heading to Glasgow not Greenock.  You certainly couldn’t do an embarkation there!!

It is on the RCCL website but not Azamara:  

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew are always our top priorities. On March 13th, we made the decision to voluntarily suspend our sailings departing from US ports, and later on March 14th we decided to also suspend operations for the remainder of our sailings worldwide. Then on March 24th, we extended our voluntary suspension until May 11th, 2020, and then extended it to sailings departing on or before June 11th. Now, after further consulting with our partners at Cruise Lines International Association and in conjunction with the CDC, our global suspension has been extended – all sailings departing on and before July 31st, 2020 will be cancelled. Our goal is to resume operations on August 1st, 2020.

2 hours ago, uktog said:

News from onboard Journey they too are heading for Glasgow

Do you think that means the August through drydock schedule is going to cancel for Journey? Otherwise parking in the Athens area would seem more logical.

1 minute ago, flyingshoes said:

Do you think that means the August through drydock schedule is going to cancel for Journey? Otherwise parking in the Athens area would seem more logical.

I have no idea, but there are of course dry dock facilities and skilled teams in Scotland who could do it if they were still going ahead.  I am sure whatever happens some modifications are going to be needed onboard so I am not sure how they will do them

Constellation and Explorer of the Seas’ Dry Dock were ‘on hold’ in April and Infinity & Eclipse’s are postponed, as the RCCL company have more pressing Financial needs.

Edited by upwarduk

1 hour ago, uktog said:

I have no idea, but there are of course dry dock facilities and skilled teams in Scotland who could do it if they were still going ahead.  I am sure whatever happens some modifications are going to be needed onboard so I am not sure how they will do them

Sure, but Glasgow seems like an odd place to start an eastern Med and Black Sea schedule post-July 31.  

Edited by flyingshoes

1 hour ago, flyingshoes said:

Sure, but Glasgow seems like an odd place to start an eastern Med and Black Sea schedule post-July 31.  

I doubt the schedules as published will be what they start up with

The ships are going to Glasgow for laying up, who knows how long it will be before they are ready to cruise again.

The crew are dispersed all over the world and it will be a nightmare to reassemble then.

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Constellation and Explorer of the Seas’ Dry Dock were ‘on hold’ in April and Infinity & Eclipse’s are postponed, as the RCCL company have more pressing Financial needs.

The Celebrity dry-docks were major affairs, stripping out all cabins to the walls and adding the new Reserve areas for suite passengers.  But the maritime laws that mandate normal dry-docks on a certain schedule will still be to be followed.  There is some flexibility in the dry-dock schedules, but it wouldn't it be better to do them while you are already in a 0 revenue situation rather than taking ships out of service later???

• Like 1

A HARBOUR chief intent on docking cruise ships at Greenock and bringing thousands of people ashore amid the coronavirus emergency has issued a 'veiled threat' to Inverclyde Council.

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/18459077.anger-peel-ports-chief-executives-veiled-threat-inverclyde-council/

Edited by Fatfish