Marine Traffic shows Pursuit heading to Glasgow

suzyluvs2cruise

1 hour ago, dayrate said:

My source is an Azamara captain, so I consider it reasonably reliable.

I have to ask how you are sourced with this information?  Your post history indicates you know a lot of officer movement including, but not limited to Royal Caribbean. Do you work for RCCL?  Interested to know. 

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Newspaper coverage of the arrival with video
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18538338.third-cruise-ship-azamara-journey-docks-river-clyde/

Staff onboard are saying they will there for a few weeks to prepare the ship for its layover.  It would be good if we could hear more from the official channels, if it’s a cold layover be honest, better to get the news out officially because the Glasgow tittle tattle (a local pastime) will out you very quickly.  If it’s not a cold layover, people can push back the gossips and help you.  

I agree. We recently booked our first cruise with Azamara but to be honest I’m not feeling great about it. Cold layup does not sound good if that is indeed what is happening. I hesitate to post the below link as I usually take this type information with a grain of salt. I found the Pursuit on one of the ship brokerage site. It shows the ship in her former owners livery. I have my doubts on how much the Azamara team knows about the future of this line but I would have to assume that at this time there would be very little interest in buying ships. 

https://www.qpsships.com/copy-of-s2127

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Melissaghoti said:

Yes, I should have realized that, but only looked at Date: 2001 per photo below. I also see that it says location: U.S. and Engines: 0, and wondering what that means. What confirms that it is Pursuit?

783BECE9-6FF1-498F-8CF0-CDF73BF23E9C.png

It’s Pursuit when she was Adonia with P&O Cruises (UK) easy to spot from the buff coloured funnel, the interior shots also show the interior as it was with P&O. 
Given the way these brokerages work it’s probably an old listing from when it was common knowledge that Carnival Corp wanted to move her on.

Yes, thanks, Riocca and Odd. I did the research that I should’ve done before asking and see that she was R-8. It’s somewhat reassuring to think that it’s an old listing. If RCCL was going to downsize Azamara, it would seem unlikely they’d choose the most recent addition that’s been updated. Journey is do for refit in the fall, but I imagine, like most everything else, that remains to be seen.

Again, thank you.

Melissa

Princess is probably looking to dispose of R-3.  IIRC Azamara was unpleasantly surprised by the poor condition of R-8 when they got her, which raised the cost of bringing her up to Azamara standards.  I would expect that Pacific Princess will require lots of TLC, but she already has CC suites on deck 8 [actually she has a full deck of suites, like the Oceania R-ships] and she might be available for next to nothing at this point.

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Princess is probably looking to dispose of R-3.  IIRC Azamara was unpleasantly surprised by the poor condition of R-8 when they got her, which raised the cost of bringing her up to Azamara standards.  I would expect that Pacific Princess will require lots of TLC, but she already has CC suites on deck 8 [actually she has a full deck of suites, like the Oceania R-ships] and she might be available for next to nothing at this point.

We were on Pursuit’s maiden and had it first hand from a reliable source that there was much more work required than anticipated which was why some things like a new internet system did not get done. Deck 11 forward had to have a lot of metalwork replaced as it was rusted through, we were on Deck 6 aft and there was a hole in the corridor under the carpet that was still to be repaired. At that stage litigation was apparently an option but that obviously didn’t happen.

There was a rumour on the Princess board a while ago that Carnival had done a BOGOF deal with RC, in that RC bought R8 (Adonia/Pursuit) and would get R3 (Pacific Princess) free. Whatever the truth actually is I fear the current pandemic has changed a lot of plans and things will be very different in the future.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Riocca said:

There was a rumour on the Princess board a while ago that Carnival had done a BOGOF deal with RC, in that RC bought R8 (Adonia/Pursuit) and would get R3 (Pacific Princess) free. Whatever the truth actually is I fear the current pandemic has changed a lot of plans and things will be very different in the future.

I also heard that rumor from a highly placed source at Azamara.  But I would have expected that the transfer would have happened (or at least been announced) before the pandemic shut everything down.

Of course, if one wants to play a long game: Oceania has a second new-build class ready to build and my guess is they will be retiring their R class as those come on line – and they have been maintained to a much higher standard than Princess.  But 20+ years of salt water and SOLAS requirement changes must still have a huge impact on keeping these ships viable.

23 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Princess is probably looking to dispose of R-3.  .... and she might be available for next to nothing at this point.

If I was Azamara I would grab it.  Assuming the condition was tolerable.  When they went from two ships to three, that was an overnight increase of 50% in capacity.  You don't have an overnight increase of 50% in a loyal cohort of passengers.  This time would be an increase of only 33% in capacity.  Look at Seabourn.  They went from the triplets to five new ships in the space of two or three years.  From a fleet total capacity of 1200 passengers to 3174, almost three times as much.  How do you staff them?  Where do you find that huge increase in passengers so quickly?  Too much, too soon?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riocca said:

We were on Pursuit’s maiden and had it first hand from a reliable source that there was much more work required than anticipated which was why some things like a new internet system did not get done. Deck 11 forward had to have a lot of metalwork replaced as it was rusted through, we were on Deck 6 aft and there was a hole in the corridor under the carpet that was still to be repaired. At that stage litigation was apparently an option but that obviously didn’t happen.

We were on Pursuit in South America when they had engineering issues which caused a significant change to the itinerary.  It was touch and go whether they would be able to complete the voyage and the Chief Engineer Hans and his team worked flat out for 48 hours to trace the problem.  From talking to them, what they found was certainly not what they expected.  So I think there will be long memories about the challenges buying another R class gave and the cost over run that arose.  Personally I don't think they should try and revamp another 20 year old vessel, the shelf life is too short and guests expectations have changed.  

For now though it is all rumour and certainly the pockets of the parent and pretty shallow.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 1:21 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

I have to ask how you are sourced with this information?  Your post history indicates you know a lot of officer movement including, but not limited to Royal Caribbean. Do you work for RCCL?  Interested to know. 

Phil 

Let´s say I work for RCCL but am not hired by RCCL.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, dayrate said:

Either way you are obviously in a better position to know what's happening than others on this site, thanks for your input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dayrate said:

Thanks for clarifying. It is always good to know the background.  And we are routing for all our crew friends on all three ships and thinking of them during this crazy time. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hubby and I had a wee trip “doon the Watter” yesterday on The Waverley, the worlds last ocean going Paddle steamer.  On road to board her in Largs, caught sight of the three Azamara ships In Glasgow which was quite emotional. Had a lovely day and it was great to be on the sea, albeit for a short time.

Alison

5DAC69B9-AC1C-45B7-8791-8C6EBC48BFC7.jpeg

CDC2EC19-547B-4DC6-A318-5274DC0F1B90.jpeg

EB159179-A81A-462B-A020-D62642E9CB3B.jpeg

BF63EF86-B268-45FB-961A-C2DD4E871ED1.jpeg

36A5642E-6F8B-4323-980C-9CCA7406ADFD.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

I read that there's a possibility that Glasgow is going back into lockdown because cases are rising.  https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-lockdown-rules-to-be-tightened-around-glasgow-as-cases-rise-12061228

They are already subject to additional restrictions no more indoor get togethers between  multiple Households and more restrictions are possible.  The restrictions are for at least two weeks. Outdoor you should be socially distancing, sadly many are not. 

Since we're drifting already, let me ask for a memory refresh:  when it was first announced that Azamara was planning to bring all three ships to Glasgow, I think I remember that the Glasgow authorities were making noise about not letting them in because of  Covid worries.  Obviously they got in – what happened?  [Or am I just mis-remembering again?]