Celebrity Cruises sued by passenger who got coronavirus

Mojogurued

Litigation and possibly class action against cruise lines is almost a certainty. People have died on cruise ships as a result of COVID 19. Cruise ships have a duty of care and if they didn't exercise that care then look out. Criminal proceedings against the RUBY Princess in both New Zealand and Australia and more will follow if these prosecutions are successful.  With the USA being such a litigious country I can see ambulance chasers just lining up to have a crack and crack they will. With RCCL spending $US250 million a month they have about 8 months reserves left and those reserves are made up of future deposits and cruise credits which is why I want my refunds

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

Litigation and possibly class action against cruise lines is almost a certainty. People have died on cruise ships as a result of COVID 19. Cruise ships have a duty of care and if they didn't exercise that care then look out. Criminal proceedings against the RUBY Princess in both New Zealand and Australia and more will follow if these prosecutions are successful.  With the USA being such a litigious country I can see ambulance chasers just lining up to have a crack and crack they will. With RCCL spending $US250 million a month they have about 8 months reserves left and those reserves are made up of future deposits and cruise credits which is why I want my refunds

Well that’s cheered me up.

1 hour ago, Beanb41 said:

Um Criminal INVESTIGATIONS are underway in the Ruby Princess situation in Australia and New Zealand. The investigations and inquiries are far from complete and there has been a fare bit of evidence of bias in one investigation, and mistakes by the NSW health authorities in another. And there is blatant bias against the cruise industry on the part of the media in Sydney.

So there are no "Criminal Proceedings" filed so far in the Ruby Princess debacle.

There was a rather long thread on the Eclipse situation and I made my views known there. I really don't care to rehash that here.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Um Criminal INVESTIGATIONS are underway in the Ruby Princess situation in Australia and New Zealand. The investigations and inquiries are far from complete and there has been a fare bit of evidence of bias in one investigation, and mistakes by the NSW health authorities in another. And there is blatant bias against the cruise industry on the part of the media in Sydney.

So there are no "Criminal Proceedings" filed so far in the Ruby Princess debacle.

There was a rather long thread on the Eclipse situation and I made my views known there. I really don't care to rehash that here.

You seem quite close to the investigation going on in Australia and New Zealand.  Are you in getting full disclosure from the investigators? In the UK we are not hearing from the investigators in those countries, is the situation different in Canada?

New Zealand unlike other jurisdictions has a no fault Accident Compensation scheme which under law someone who has an accident cannot sue the perpertrator but receives compensation according to scale again as laid down by statute. It does not however pertain to jurisdictions overseas. Such is the case that we understand that RCCL is being sued over the white Island catastrophe. Such litigation cannot be carried out in NZ but overseas maybe a different scenario. RCCL is being accused of gross negligence in allowing its passengers to travel to White Island whilst the Ovation of the Seas was in NZ. Whether the various cruise lines were negligent or not will no doubt be played out in court in the years to come. There are reports coming out that Princess Cruises were aware of a COVID 19 out break on the Ruby Princess a couple of cruises prior to notifying passengers and that there was a cover up. These reports are coming from passengers who were on these cruises and are now speaking out. The plot thickens

sadly, I think the governments are the ones who should be questioned.  I am far from a anti-government person, but many of the world governments were grossly unprepared for COVID19, despite repeated incidents in the past.  We had plenty of warning with SARS and then MERS, but we did not heed the warnings.  

I live in Oregon, and we still have very few testing options.  No drive up testing.  Seriously cannot understand why with SARS and MERS in our past we did not have 30 days worth of PPE on hand to protect our front line workers.  To top it off, we had very low numbers in Oregon-about 150 deaths (which is amazing given our proximetry to Washington)

My brother contracted COVID19 as a fireman in NYC.  He caught this because our governments were woefully unprepared for this pandemic...He is recovered now, thank god.  

The lawsuits towards the cruise lines or companies are misplaced in my mind...this goes way above an individual company liability.  In times like this, we look to our government to be prepared, and other than shutdown, I feel they were unprepared.  

• Like 1