Cruise Critic Community
DennBu

Alaska cruise cancelled. Cruise credit or refund?

9 hours ago, kaprin02 said:

That was not what I received - but maybe it has changed since the first round of cancellations (My cruise was scheduled to embark April 8.  I received 100% FCC of what I had paid, which included base fare, taxes/fees, prepaid service charge, and free-at-sea gratuities.  Then I received a "bonus" FCC equal to 25% of that inclusive amount.  I had not prepaid any excursions, so I don't have personal experience with how those were handled, but I did see reports that if you had prepaid excursions, they were handled the same way (100% + 25% bonus).  Between the 25% bonus, and the 20% discount, I was able to book 2 cruises for the price I had paid for one.

I got my letter today. I’m a bit disappointed with what it said. They are giving us the 125% based on our fare paid, they say is a total of $3433. However, my documents show our base fare of $2229 each. There is no mention on what they are doing with our taxes, airfare and other charges. We paid a total of $6866.16 and they are only addressing $3433? 
Makes me anxious!

35 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

I got my letter today. I’m a bit disappointed with what it said. They are giving us the 125% based on our fare paid, they say is a total of $3433. However, my documents show our base fare of $2229 each. There is no mention on what they are doing with our taxes, airfare and other charges. We paid a total of $6866.16 and they are only addressing $3433? 
Makes me anxious!

I just realized, as I was doing my calculations, this is exactly half of what we paid for the cruise. The letter was only addressing MY portion of the cruise and not my Husband's portion.  All is good in the world again!

36 minutes ago, Math teacher said:

Makes me anxious!

Each person on the reservation gets their own FCC.  Your total of $6866 is exactly twice the $3433.  So check with your travel companion - they most likely also have an FCC for $3433.

1 hour ago, Linsuesue said:

That might put a hitch in my plan🙂 our cruise was booked last summer. I am surprised that in the effort to keep the customers sailing with them that they do not clearly state exactly how these credits can work. I do not want to risk getting a refund in hopes that maybe I can use some of the FCC for paying off an existing cruise. Thank you for your response.  I had not read any mention of people doing this or having problems paying for existing reservations. 

Definitely call them and try!  Like I said, I haven't seen anything in writing.  And I only had the one cruise booked - I think our PCC may have actually cancelled and rebooked us (because we were also able to take advantage of the 20% off).  So that may have been why we were able to do it?

1 hour ago, kaprin02 said:

Yes, at least sometimes.  We had booked a cruise for April 2021 in early March (before the cancellations started).  We were able to use FCC from our cancelled cruise for our already booked April 2021.  However, I've seen reports that you can't use FCC on cruises booked a long time ago - the reports I've seen say cruises booked since March.  I've not seen anything official on that from NCL, though.

I hope that is not the case because we have an April 2021 that I booked last fall and my plans were to just you my FCC on that one plus a 2022 that I booked last month.  Guess I will just wait and see after they cancel my August Alaska.  

We ended up taking the 125% FCC, then booked for next year.  I see many posts saying prices are inflated, but we didn't find that to be the case for us.  Our re-booked cruise fare was almost 50% cheaper than the one we had originally booked by the time the additional 20% was taken off.  Plus, the cabin is one category, one deck higher.  We have plenty to cover all taxes, fees, gratuities, daily service charge & most if not all of our excursions.  There is also a $200 onboard credit that we can use for photos, go carts, laser tag, etc.  Now, of course if something happens to NCL, we're up a creek without a paddle.  I choose to remain optimistic and look forward to seeing Alaska next year.