If 'Social Distancing' last till 2021 will we still have a Cruise Industry.

datolim

15 hours ago, baseballmom2007 said:

Now that most locations post Nursing Home deaths, check those when you make decisions. In my county, 67% of deaths have been in nursing homes.  My 80 year old insulin dependent Mom will never cruise again.  I have already booked my 2021 cruise and pray the cruise lines make it through.

As to masks - a private conversation with THE expert in this field yielded this advice: an important reason to wear a mask is to provide a barrier between your hands and your face, which will help keep you safe. Wearing a mask has made me conscious of how often I touch my face and hopefully, I will learn better habits for when we can cruise again (hopefully without masks).

Who is THE expert in masks?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, skridge said:

Who is THE expert in masks?

Having a mask to remind you not to touch your face ?

I don’t mean to sound snobbish- it’s a learned behavior- I’ve learned  to not touch my face, ever, while working in a hospital- without a mask- from day #1 

& have worked decades (40 yrs)

I see many  people touching their face with a mask. You can watch You-tube videos on it.

Bottom line, is that people seem

to like to touch their face, no inkling why.

Hopefully, things will calm down and people will now know to wash  hands for at least 30 seconds after using the toilet. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:06 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

Incubation is 2 weeks....let's talk about Florida in a month from now and see how they're doing.

Besides....being on a cruiseship is a dense population.  Florida isn't....and it's really easy to keep your distance.

Florida is doing pretty good. Because their governor was smart and knew how to handle a crisis and had a balanced budget. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 6:28 PM, ladylyn915 said:

We have gotten off the track of the OP's question.  I have just one comment with regard to COVID19 numbers trending up or down.  Although I do not work in a hospital,  someone very close to me is a first responder in NYC.  He is privy to much information not necessarily given to the public.  For example,  if a COVID19 patient with an underlying heart problem passes - it is very possible that the death certificate will list cardiac arrest as COD.  This can help COVID19 numbers trend "a certain way" (down).  Conversely, hospitals are funded differently for COVID19 deaths and someone who enters the hospital with CHF may contract COVID19  and die and COVID19 is entered on the death certificate creating a trending higher COVID19 number. (  This may be hearsay - it has been told to me- I have no first hand proof  - please don't flame me).  I believe my relative, you do not have to.  I simply present what I have been told.  It seems plausible to me.  It is a little food for thought.  I only know everyone I know who is in the medical field who has  been in the hospitals these past months say they have never seen anything like this and hope they never do again.

Our Panorama cruise was cancelled.  I love cruising as a couple or with my children and their families - but I am not in a hurry to return just yet.

My apologies to the OP - we have gotten off the track.....

Lyn

This is true. Its also happening in NJ and in Philadelphia. Let alone the nursing home disaster. Personally, Id rather have my dad if still alive with me on a cruise ship then a nursing home. It turned my stomach that a ship sat in the harbor and they put covid patients in nursing homes.

9 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Florida is doing pretty good. Because their governor was smart and knew how to handle a crisis and had a balanced budget. 

Wasn't he slow to react in the beginning?  When other states were already shutting down he chose to let spring break happen before getting on board with closures.

Trying to remember, but FLA. was one of the last states to close things I believe.

50 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Wasn't he slow to react in the beginning?  When other states were already shutting down he chose to let spring break happen before getting on board with closures.

Trying to remember, but FLA. was one of the last states to close things I believe.

Yes but one of the first to recover and low numbers. 

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

Yes but one of the first to recover and low numbers. 

I live in Florida and wouldn’t say the numbers are low here. I realize you can look at statistics numerous ways, but Florida has consistently been in the top ten in both the number of cases and number of deaths due to COVID -19. 

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Florida’s timing was the same as California when it comes to closing their beaches. For some reason the media bashes one and not the other. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I live in Florida and wouldn’t say the numbers are low here. I realize you can look at statistics numerous ways, but Florida has consistently been in the top ten in both the number of cases and number of deaths due to COVID -19. 

As you should be with the 3rd largest total population and the largest elderly population in the country..which is the most vulnerable. Yet you are 9th in cases and 11th in deaths. Your per capita numbers are good.

And you’re the first state to open up for sports. You hosted three nights of UFC and it sounds like when the NBA comes back all of the eastern conference games are going to be in Orlando. I like what Florida has done.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

As you should be with the 3rd largest population in the country and the largest elderly population in the country..which is the most vulnerable. Yet they are 9th in cases and 11th in deaths. Your per capita numbers are good.

It’s funny that even epidemiologists struggle to understand how this virus spreads differently in different areas.  My guess is population density & use of public transportation  rather than just population (eg NYC is more than 3 times denser than LA).  My guess on Florida & unexpectedly low number of cases/deaths is older residence staying home, many younger Spring breakers being from out-of—state & likely unaffected or asymptomatic until they get home.

I personally am concerned about Illinois (since I live here) having the 3rd most cases but 6th most population.  I don’t live in the Chicago area so am more worried about the State’s future than my immediate health risk.

12 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

It’s funny that even epidemiologists struggle to understand how this virus spreads differently in different areas.  My guess is population density & use of public transportation  rather than just population (eg NYC is more than 3 times denser than LA).  My guess on Florida & unexpectedly low number of cases/deaths is older residence staying home, many younger Spring breakers being from out-of—state & likely unaffected or asymptomatic until they get home.

I personally am concerned about Illinois (since I live here) having the 3rd most cases but 6th most population.  I don’t live in the Chicago area so am more worried about the State’s future than my immediate health risk.

Based on that New Orleans shouldn’t be a hot spot. People coming in for a short period of time during Mardi Gras was enough to cause more deaths in Louisiana, the 25th most populous state in the country, than Florida which ranks 3rd in population.

Edited by Saint Greg

14 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Based on that New Orleans shouldn’t be a hot spot. People coming in for a short period of time during Mardi Gras was enough to cause more deaths in Louisiana, the 25th most populous state in the country, than Florida which ranks 3rd in population.

Even though Mardi Gras happened before it was thought the virus was widespread, there is little doubt there were carriers present at the event.  And other than NYC on New Year’s Eve, I can’t think of a more packed-in annual event.  Obviously a lot of speculation & no way for us to fully prepare right now what normal things can safely resume soon.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail

Florida continue to leader in low deaths per 1000.. the migration from the ny area had / projected us overwhelmed , take out the Non residents and its ratio is lower still!. I mention this as it could be a pre cursor and a benchmark when they start cruise and if they continue .. based on numbers ..  

there are some that want this to go on till November, I would love for it to be safe and get back to life as soon as possible.
people will cruise in droves when they believe they can survive this if they get it .  

effective treatment, vaccine and where states do bad with rates per 1000.....  mandate that leadership be removed .. just like poor performing hospitals .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Florida’s timing was the same as California when it comes to closing their beaches. For some reason the media bashes one and not the other. 

I think Florida got a lot of attention because of the pictures/videos showing Clearwater beaches packed with spring breakers. Prior to that most beaches in the state except for the SE were still open. Those images basically gave DeSantis (our governor) no choice on what to do. 

You mentioned sports in another post. I hope sports resume at some point soon. I miss sports more than cruising since sports is (or was) a big part of my day to day life. At least it sounds promising that the NHL, NBA and MLB all seem to be moving forward to some degree with plans to resume playing.  Sports coming back and theme parks starting to reopen is hopefully a good sign for cruise lines resuming operations too. 

Most of the pictures that were shown on tv came prior to NY shutting down. The media did nothing but compare Florida to Italy and NY,  they were wrong then and continue to be wrong now about Florida. We were weeks probabaly more like a month behind NY so Florida was not slow in reacting.

Edited by regoodwinjr
  • Like 1

This is an interesting conversation we are having here. I'm referring to population density, and rate per 1,000 people. I've really never paid any attention to that...only raw numbers. Here is a link that will take you to a graph that ranks rate per 1,000 people. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

Living in Texas, I would have thought we ranked a lot higher than we actually are, noting that Texas is high up on the list of number of cases . 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102807/coronavirus-covid19-cases-number-us-americans-by-state/

Even though Texas ranks #8 in number of cases, Texas ranks #39 in cased per 100,000.  Interestingly California ranks #5 in total number of cases , but #30 in number of cases per 100,000.

Gawd, I have way to much time on my hands. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Wash ‘em for for at least 20-30 seconds, Joe.  I haven’t decided if signing a chorus of Happy Birthday or putting Mississippi between each count is more accurate.

:classic_laugh::classic_laugh:! Good one! 🥂

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think Florida got a lot of attention because of the pictures/videos showing Clearwater beaches packed with spring breakers. Prior to that most beaches in the state except for the SE were still open. Those images basically gave DeSantis (our governor) no choice on what to do. 

You mentioned sports in another post. I hope sports resume at some point soon. I miss sports more than cruising since sports is (or was) a big part of my day to day life. At least it sounds promising that the NHL, NBA and MLB all seem to be moving forward to some degree with plans to resume playing.  Sports coming back and theme parks starting to reopen is hopefully a good sign for cruise lines resuming operations too. 

Think it was Jacksonville and the post was fake news from LA 2 years prior.  

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Think just the opposite, can you post links?

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Think just the opposite, can you post links?

If you Google COVID-19 there are plenty of sites reporting data. The data I mentioned previously was based on numbers only. As others have already mentioned, statistics show different results if you look at percentages based on population, which gives you a better indication of how states are doing related to COVID-19.