Will Celebrity really start back in August?

ipeeinthepool

8 hours ago, luvabargain said:

Right?  This whole thing has been a crap shoot from the start.  I feel punk'd at this point. 

Don't be. 

As for transmission from surfaces, please see the whole CDC release.  It said transmission from surfaces is not the primary source of transmission, airborne is (as everywhere knows) but still can be transmitted from surfaces if you touch your face.  It really is not much of a change.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, rimmit said:

Airlines and outdoor theme parks, and land resorts have not been found thus far to infect 100s in the time people have visited them.   This really seems to strike at population dense areas (places with mass transit like NYC) and densely populated areas that are indoors.  Airline flights have yet to be found as a major source of infection.  

Personally, I believe this to be a function of a lack of contact tracing that existed for those people in theme parks, airlines, land resorts, etc.  Were the contact tracing in place in these areas at the onset of the pandemic spread, we might have a different picture altogether.  That said, like most CC cruisers, I'm no scientist.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

I thought this article about the Caribbean Islands and the effect of Covid 19 very interesting. It makes you think that it must be a difficult decision between tourism bringing in money and keeping their population safe.

22D0F430-05DC-48D7-A700-EAD57CAE8628.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Personally, I believe this to be a function of a lack of contact tracing that existed for those people in theme parks, airlines, land resorts, etc.  Were the contact tracing in place in these areas at the onset of the pandemic spread, we might have a different picture altogether.  That said, like most CC cruisers, I'm no scientist.

Contact tracing for the airlines has been huge since the onset of this.   Same for contact tracing in the Southeast Asian countries.  Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland have not been shown to be major vectors for infection.  Neither was Tokyo Disneyland.  (we had an Asian disney vacation scheduled last week of March till The beginning of April, which Got cancelled the end of Jan when this broke out in China so I was paying very close attention to all those theme parks.)  people just aren’t that social on airplanes and theme parks like they are on cruises.  They aren’t talking to each other aerosolizing the virus like mad. Orlando is one of the most international destinations on the planet and its infection rate hasn’t been terrible all things considered.   

If theme parks were just as bad or even half as bad as cruise ships, Orlando would have been leveled, but that just hasn’t been the case.

I am not a scientist, but do work in the healthcare field.   All the major outbreaks that were expected due to all the mass gatherings that were outdoors around March 13-15 Before the lockdown when this came to a head never materialized.

Do theme parks spread this?  Yes, but do they spread it on the level of a cruise ship, nursing home, dorm, prison, meat processing plant?  That does not seem to be the case.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 9:00 AM, TeeRick said:

Just to answer the OP question - I do not expect that the vast majority of cruise ships will start cruising in August.  Perhaps a few short trial cruises at most if there are any open ports.  And if there is available crew.  RCCL has not ruled out China. Perhaps an At Sea only cruise might work- just to test things out with all the new regulations. 

To put things in my perspective, the different parts of the world and US are in widely different stages of Stay Home Lockdown.  In my state of PA it started early March.  My county is still in the Red stage (highly restricted).  We thought we would be easing up a bit now almost 3 months later.  Not happening.  So could I even cruise in August if I can't even see a future date where I can even leave my home??  I just hope to be able to get a haircut by August.  A cruise? For-getta-bout-it!

Hi I am a neighbor of yours in Montgomeryville. The "good news" is that Montco is now yellow. I also hope to get a haircut sometime before I sit on my hair LOL  I also agree with your view

7 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

Hi I am a neighbor of yours in Montgomeryville. The "good news" is that Montco is now yellow. I also hope to get a haircut sometime before I sit on my hair LOL  I also agree with your view

Hi neighbor!  We frequently go to Montgomeryville for shopping and dining - until recently.   Unfortunately we are not "Yellow" until June 5 but some progress anyway.  Still can't do most things in Yellow including getting a haircut.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Hi neighbor!  We frequently go to Montgomeryville for shopping and dining - until recently.   Unfortunately we are not "Yellow" until June 5 but some progress anyway.  Still can't do most things in Yellow including getting a haircut.

Yes, lots of shopping and restaurants sitting empty now. I know that we are not yellow "yet" and not much different from red. Just a psychological change, I guess. I know it is superficial, but all I want is a haircut LOL

I am booked on Reflection Nov 2 and seriously doubt we will go even if it sails. I worry about a new wave of virus in the fall. Before I would make my final payment, I would have to see how X is handling this. My feeling is that there will not be long cruises ( like our 11 day) in the near future and I don't want to do anything that long now. There will also be changes in itineraries and fewer guests on ships. I like the idea of fewer guests because I am not a fan of crowds. To try and be positive, I do think this pandemic in general, might make things better in that there will not be the crowds in airports, ships, etc  and a real effort to be clean and germ free. I think we all have been very lax in terms of sanitation. For me, I need to see what the future holds for X before rebooking and I will rebook   

28 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Contact tracing for the airlines has been huge since the onset of this.   Same for contact tracing in the Southeast Asian countries.  Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland have not been shown to be major vectors for infection.  Neither was Tokyo Disneyland.  (we had an Asian disney vacation scheduled last week of March till The beginning of April, which Got cancelled the end of Jan when this broke out in China so I was paying very close attention to all those theme parks.)  people just aren’t that social on airplanes and theme parks like they are on cruises.  They aren’t talking to each other aerosolizing the virus like mad. Orlando is one of the most international destinations on the planet and its infection rate hasn’t been terrible all things considered.   

If theme parks were just as bad or even half as bad as cruise ships, Orlando would have been leveled, but that just hasn’t been the case.

I am not a scientist, but do work in the healthcare field.   All the major outbreaks that were expected due to all the mass gatherings that were outdoors around March 13-15 Before the lockdown when this came to a head never materialized.

Do theme parks spread this?  Yes, but do they spread it on the level of a cruise ship, nursing home, dorm, prison, meat processing plant?  That does not seem to be the case.

Ok this is easy for me to rationalize.  The data shows that this virus is highly transmissible primarily by respiratory droplets (talking, coughing, breathing, sneezing) in close contact.  This occurs at greatest risk in close contact in indoor environments just by the nature of the enclosed environment and the close human interactions.  That does not mean that you cannot get it outdoors but the risk is lower.  Wind and air disperse the virus and the dose of infective viral particles becomes much less. That does not mean that you cannot get it from surfaces but that is not the primary transmission route.  You would need to be pretty unlucky to touch a surface freshly exposed by a sneeze and then expose your face.  The recent data shows that live virus in saliva on surfaces does not remain infectious very long (that is the basis of the CDC change in its recent statement).  Infection risk is mostly about the live virus dose in the primary transmission mode of respiratory droplets in close contact.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Alot depends on the airlines..

One hacking cougher with or without a mask would scare me! 

I personally am much more concerned about flights than cruises at the moment. Now with them talking about the primary source of spread being airborne in confined spaces with close contact - the definition of flights. I appreciate them requiring everyone to wear masks, but not sure how that works on a long flight where you will certainly want to take it off to eat and drink at some point. At least on a cruise there's some ability control where you go and what you do. 

11 hours ago, luvabargain said:

Right?  This whole thing has been a crap shoot from the start.  I feel punk'd at this point. 

That's science. You start with a hypothesis, and as you refine it, you update the guidance. They found the virus on all kinds of surfaces early on. Now they pretty much know it becomes non-viable on dry surfaces pretty quickly, but you can still recover the viral RNA. 

You'd prefer they continue to provide advice they know is no longer supported by evidence? That would be "punk'd".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Alot depends on the airlines..

One hacking cougher with or without a mask would scare me! 

Airlines will not allow anyone on board without a mask.  Period.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Airlines will not allow anyone on board without a mask.  Period.  

And yet, United (and probably others) are instructing flight attendants to not enforce mask requirements once onboard. It's basically a boarding requirement at this point.

Admittedly, with airflow on the plane, you've only got a few people around you that really create a significant risk, but one of NBC's infectious disease docs, a bonafide virus hunter, is pretty sure his only potential exposure was on a flight.

5 hours ago, markeb said:

And yet, United (and probably others) are instructing flight attendants to not enforce mask requirements once onboard. It's basically a boarding requirement at this point.

Admittedly, with airflow on the plane, you've only got a few people around you that really create a significant risk, but one of NBC's infectious disease docs, a bonafide virus hunter, is pretty sure his only potential exposure was on a flight.

If that is the case with United et al, then they're not following their own rules.  Taken directly from their website:  "Requiring all United travelers, flight attendants and employees on board to wear face coverings."  LINK

And it's quite possible the person sitting next to him is who exposed him.  The air system won't spread the virus, per the CDC.  For my upcoming flight, the only one next to me will be my wife and vice versa.  No middle seat.  I'll just need to worry about people in the aisle.  And I plan on keeping my mask on the majority of the flight, as much as I dislike it.

For the next few months it's going to be dicey, but I personally feel things are as safe as they're going to get for the foreseeable future.  However, I'm not going to throw caution to the wind either.  I'll do what's needed to do to stay safe, even if it means my cruise gets cancelled.  I'll be upset, but I'll understand.  For now, I'm looking forward to going, even if it means a little bit of awkwardness in needing to wear a mask in some crowded situations.  I don't like wearing a seat belt on a plane either, but I do.  We do these things as much for our protection as well as for others.

They require masks to board the flight.  They are then allowed to take them off. 
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2020/05/13/airlines-are-telling-crews-not-to-crack-down-on-passengers-without-face-masks/

Airlines are telling their crews not to enforce face mask rules once customers are on board and planes leave airport gates.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines is instructing crews that “once on board and off the gate, the face covering policy will become more lenient.”

“The flight attendant’s role is informational, not enforcement, with respect to the face covering policy,” American said in the note to crew members.

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines “will not deny boarding based solely upon a customer not wearing a mask; however, we will request that customers comply with the policy out of respect for the well-being of other customers and our employees during these unprecedented times,” spokesman Brian Parrish said in a statement.

Others, such as United, said they will only deny passengers boarding as a “last resort.” Delta is also asking flight attendants to de-escalate conflicts with passengers that refuse to wear face masks, but won’t divert flights for that reason alone.”

Edited by Prost Seattle

5 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

They require masks to board the flight.  They are then allowed to take them off. 
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2020/05/13/airlines-are-telling-crews-not-to-crack-down-on-passengers-without-face-masks/

Airlines are telling their crews not to enforce face mask rules once customers are on board and planes leave airport gates.

Fort Worth-based American Airlines is instructing crews that “once on board and off the gate, the face covering policy will become more lenient.”

“The flight attendant’s role is informational, not enforcement, with respect to the face covering policy,” American said in the note to crew members.

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines “will not deny boarding based solely upon a customer not wearing a mask; however, we will request that customers comply with the policy out of respect for the well-being of other customers and our employees during these unprecedented times,” spokesman Brian Parrish said in a statement.

Others, such as United, said they will only deny passengers boarding as a “last resort.” Delta is also asking flight attendants to de-escalate conflicts with passengers that refuse to wear face masks, but won’t divert flights for that reason alone.”

Examples of why we won’t see widespread face mask use by passengers on cruise ships, it simply won’t be enforceable because the cruise lines won’t crack down when the cruise sails. I do think we will see it with crew on early sailings though. I think we may see some passengers choose to wear them.

Edited by yorky

So we will all be breathing the same air.  I believe that the sharing of the air contributed to the cruise ship problem.  I cannot see flying now or cruising until this is under control.  In some states, nobody is paying attention to the distance rule and the pandemic will last even longer.  

So scary.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, markeb said:

We flew on  Feb 6th from Fla to NY ( small local airport) ....and did nothing once we were home.   2 to 3 days later we were sicker than we ever were  with many  symptoms like Flu and /or Covid.  Could have been  reg flu but we did have enhanced flu shots this year so   who knows. Local hosp thinks Covid was around here at that time and that much was not diagnosed as such

Hoping to get an antibody test before we fly again in Nov  heading back to Florida...

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

So we will all be breathing the same air.  I believe that the sharing of the air contributed to the cruise ship problem.  I cannot see flying now or cruising until this is under control.  In some states, nobody is paying attention to the distance rule and the pandemic will last even longer.  

So scary.  

It's not a problem.  CDC has confirmed that much at least.  It's immediate contact with the "water droplets" from someone actually breathing on you.  Hence the "6 feet apart" suggestion.

5 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

It's not a problem.  CDC has confirmed that much at least.  It's immediate contact with the "water droplets" from someone actually breathing on you.  Hence the "6 feet apart" suggestion.

I had a call from Celebrity yesterday stating that they are sailing again beginning Aug 1 ( I knew that) and offering help with booking. He said that there will be a statement by X soon describing what is being done for our safety and comfort. They are working with CDC and WHO as are other cruiselines. I asked him if there would be changes in itineraries and cancellations of bookings in order to make the ships less crowded and he said all of that is possible,. He said we will know before final payments are due 

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

So scary.  

IMO- It is not very likely at all that this virus in a respiratory droplet would survive the air recirculation process and remain intact and infectious on a cruise ship or an airplane or anywhere else.  Nobody has supported this as a mode of viral transmission.  It would undergo tremendous dilution, heat/cool cycles, and rapid drying.  And also go through efficient air filtering.    The danger on a plane is very real if you sit within the immediate vicinity of an infected person and become directly exposed.  Like everywhere else.

3 hours ago, mlmbar said:

I had a call from Celebrity yesterday stating that they are sailing again beginning Aug 1 ( I knew that) and offering help with booking. He said that there will be a statement by X soon describing what is being done for our safety and comfort. They are working with CDC and WHO as are other cruiselines. I asked him if there would be changes in itineraries and cancellations of bookings in order to make the ships less crowded and he said all of that is possible.

He said we will know before final payments are due 

i guess your cruise is after sept because final payments for Aug cruises are already due?