AUGUST 1st target to resume operations

On 5/21/2020 at 11:51 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

August 1st way too optimistic.  I suspect they will start with non-sailing vacations. Dock the ship but not go anywhere out of fear of not being allowed back in port.  No way you'd get me on a ship leaving port anytime soon. I want to know I can get back off the ship!

Now that's an idea!  Non-sailing vacation.  Treat the boat like a nice luxury hotel.  

Is that actually one of the options on the table?

Edited by BillHoo

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Disney cruises just cancelled until october. Oh good news you get a future cruise credit. Lol

Watching stocks and it just came across the news.

October, so August and sept cancelled.

Where are you seeing that Disney cancelled all until October? Everything I can find shows 2 ships starting in August.

2 minutes ago, P_and_L said:

Where are you seeing that Disney cancelled all until October? Everything I can find shows 2 ships starting in August.

I was listening to fbn stock news. Apparently they got it wrong, only one cruise cancelled. Sorry.

I guess stock people dont know cruises, sorry again. One cruise. 

31 minutes ago, BillHoo said:

Now that's an idea!  Non-sailing vacation.  Treat the boat like a nice luxury hotel.  

Is that actually one of the options on the table?

Actually I ran into one of those. I wanted a hotel to go to the crystal beach in texas. Lol it's a houseboat. You can fish off it. Alligators come right up to the dock. I passed on it, but thought was interesting

20200609_131738982.jpeg

20200609_131806164.jpeg

I am currently enjoying a direct ocean front condo in Jensen Beach for the week (replacement of Hawaii condo I had to cancel).  Nice view, beautiful beach.  

There actually is life after cruising.  😉 

I left the alligators back home in the swamp to fend for themselves.  😄 

Edited by island lady

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I am currently enjoying a direct ocean front condo in Jensen Beach for the week (replacement of Hawaii condo I had to cancel).  Nice view, beautiful beach.  

I think you left one at the port in PC

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/31/2020 at 9:30 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

What if a vaccine never comes around? There is no guarantee an effective vaccine will be developed. If you are old enough to remember the 1980s, there was a lot of optimism about a vaccine being developed for HIV. There were a lot of similarities to today with lots of efforts focused on developing a vaccine, predictions that a vaccine would be developed within two years, etc. It is now 2020 and there is still no vaccine for HIV. 

No vaccine, but ways to cope, manage, and live with it.  Like SARS and seasonal Influenza.

I think people in general will accept a fatality rate of 60,000 - 90,000 per year in the US.  We already accept 60K for the annual flu.

To get it below 100K, we'll probably have:

- Continue Masks and hygiene

- Better masks and more PPE supply

- Easing on social distancing

- Preventative shots or supplements.  Not cures, but maybe a pill or shot that protects you for a month or two at a time.

- Treatments for when you get it to keep you out of the hospital.  May not be helpful for elderly.

- Treatments to help those in the hospital recover so they don't get to the ventillator stage.

Any thoughts to add?

On 5/31/2020 at 6:11 PM, Jimbo said:

Go on some day trips at a local Marina nearby, I'm sure you could find a local operator there willing to take you out for the day........push comes to shove go on an all day fishing trip to get over your cruise fix.

To get over my cruise fix, I had been going to Brazillian steakhouses like Texas de Brazil and buffets like Golden Corral.

But alas, even those are closed also now.

6 hours ago, island lady said:

I'm proud of you, I knew you could do it. I see that one eye in the smiley, is that a tear of joy?

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, BillHoo said:

To get over my cruise fix, I had been going to Brazillian steakhouses like Texas de Brazil and buffets like Golden Corral.

Where do you live?  Texas de Brazil in Tampa has been open for about a month now. It was definitely a far different experience with the waiters serving you from the salad bar and meat being brought on plates from the kitchen. But the food was still really good. Something similar to this would be a good alternative for the Lido buffet, at least initially. 

21 hours ago, island lady said:

This was the replacement for my cancelled Radiance of the Seas cruise Hawaii to Vancouver back in May.

IMG_4187.jpeg

It was great but it was definitely not as good as 10 days on Radiance would have been.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

This was my view mid plague in April.  Looking at this made me realize how I really need a Caribbean cruise.  But.  Today we are currently 92 degrees with 80-90% humidity.  High winds, hail and thunderstorms headed our way.  
Oh how I need a cruise! 

Stay safe. 

5B1FD427-6D84-47B1-B601-8556E0A524B1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2020 at 10:42 PM, ChC said:

No, the reason not many Chinese are due to visa restrictions. Chinese needs visa to visit Japan unless the cruise is China to a third destination via Japan or China return trip. There are nothing to do with the brand. The only reason is visa restrictions for Chinese.

The ship is marketed primarily to the Chinese market.  The menus are different to reflect more Chinese tastes.  Etc.  But sure, go ahead and believe it's the exact same product marketed exactly the same way as the ships sailing to Western destinations.  Doesn't bother me.  Just don't be a jerk to crew if you ever take one of those sailings and don't enjoy the less western food offerings, some main stage entertainment not being in English at all, etc.  Personally, I loved the changed experience and am sad to have missed sailing from Shanghai on RCI again this year.

23 hours ago, BillHoo said:

I'm still pouting over allure and decided to take the advice and pretend I'm at Izumi for dinner. Swore I had a bottle of wine walked off, so my choices from my last cruise one from onboard and one from duty free Dumfries in cozumel with crispy crab and crispy shrimp spicy sushi rolls. 

Choice of don julios tequila or single malt scotch. Not sure Izumi, but sushi with a margarita? close enough to pretend I'm dining on a cruise? It ruined the mood a bit to wear a mask to pick up sushi. I looked at dining pics and best I could come up with to pretend. I'll just have to do more pretending and treat myself. That's the duty free bag in the background.  cozumel makes me think of margaritas every time I go. I'm a good scotch or good tequila kinda girl. Dont like gin or vodka.

My new thing will be pretending I'm at dinner on cruises and just put the rest out of my mind. And yea I know it's only 8 year old scotch.. the rest got shared with more years aged. Gonna have to slum it. I do know good scotch and tequila, but this is what's left from last cruise to drink.

Izumi ... Counts? 

20200610_164315.jpg

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

This was the replacement for my cancelled Radiance of the Seas cruise Hawaii to Vancouver back in May.

IMG_4187.jpeg

It was great but it was definitely not as good as 10 days on Radiance would have been.

Nice. Maybe we could do a let's pretend we are on a cruise thread at least it's the reposoda tequila not the harsh blanch and I got 2 bottles of that reposoda don julio left, but no wine. I'm putting cruises out of my mind until we know something, like when will they start.

20200610_171434.jpg

Edited by firefly333

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

IMG_4187.jpeg

No chair hogs!  That's a plus in anybody's book.

But if you enter the belly flop contest, make sure its' from the end of the dock and not the staircase.

*** pic quoted for affect ***

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

No chair hogs!  That's a plus in anybody's book.

But if you enter the belly flop contest, make sure its' from the end of the dock and not the staircase.

*** pic quoted for affect ***

After three months of lockdown I am confident that I could win any belly flop contest. I'm up 20 lbs since I got on Adventure Dec. 1 

Restaurants are now mostly fully open up here no so thing might get worse.  I went to the gym for the fist time in 3 months. I thought I was going to die.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2020 at 8:59 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Where do you live?  Texas de Brazil in Tampa has been open for about a month now. It was definitely a far different experience with the waiters serving you from the salad bar and meat being brought on plates from the kitchen. But the food was still really good. Something similar to this would be a good alternative for the Lido buffet, at least initially. 

I'm in Virginia.  TdB is re-opening this Saturday, but my wife is having surgery and does not want to risk eating inflamattory foods during recovery process.  Will have to wait til later July for that.

Of course, I don't want to sneak out to a steak house without her!

23 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

IMG_4187.jpeg

To maximize the pretend cruise experience, don't forget to throw towels or old books on the deck chairs and dare NOT to sit in them for fear of some chairhog coming and exclaiming "EXCUSE ME!!  i WAS SITTING THERE!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

I'm in Virginia.  TdB is re-opening this Saturday, but my wife is having surgery and does not want to risk eating inflamattory foods during recovery process.  Will have to wait til later July for that.

Of course, I don't want to sneak out to a steak house without her!

Any idea what the rest of Virginia is like now,  thinking of heading toward Bristol , Abingdon, Virginia area, house hunting. Wife wants to relocate to that area from NJ.

Any idea what I-81 is like as far as rest stops being open and such for restroom stops. I think she is looking at a AirBnB for the stay.

Edited by Jimbo

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Any idea what the rest of Virginia is like now,  thinking of heading toward Bristol , Abingdon, Virginia area, house hunting. Wife wants to relocate to that area from NJ.

Also look a bit further into TN.

Just now, Jimbo said:

What areas are best. Looking for a house in the $250,000 to $350,000 range. 1 to 2 acres......not super remote either.

My suggestion was simply from an overall cost of living/tax angle - have no specific knowledge of the area.