World Cruise - 1/5/22 - Island Princess - 111 days

voljeep

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think this is all old stuff previously posted.....

Oh, okay.  Sorry - guess I forgot or missed it first time around.  Cannot see the trees for the COVID-19 pause forest of posts.  LOL.

ETA = Limited segments at this time, compared to 2021 offering.  Was hoping for the Singapore start port this time again.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Haha 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Oh, okay.  Sorry - guess I forgot or missed it first time around.  Cannot see the trees for the COVID-19 pause forest of posts.  LOL.

I could be wrong. I don't know. I wasn't paying attention at that time and since I am still working - a WC was not on my radar.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I could be wrong. I don't know. I wasn't paying attention at that time and since I am still working - a WC was not on my radar.

What is this "working" of which you speak? I love being retired but these days it's really a good thing. This is from today's local newspaper: Roughly 7,800 Butte County residents lost their jobs between mid-March and mid-April. Not a good thing.

• Haha 1

we booked the 2022 world cruise today. 97 days LA to FTL.

we have set up a roll call WORLD CRUISE 2022 ISLAND PRINCESS

under roll calls - Island Princess. come join us there

thank you CEILIDH1 for posting Princess brochures - very helpful.

please post them at the roll call.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 3:50 PM, welly world said:

Do you happen to know if any other itineraries are being released then?

Sorry, I can't help you out ... no idea when new itineraries being released

• Haha 1

The advertised benefits for early booking (pre Nov 30) are Premier drink package, Unlimited Wi-Fi, Gratuities, airfare for balcony and above, $500 OBC, 4 specialty dinning cover charges and a $1,000 discount for any level of Captain Circle.

I find this very misleading as the first 3 are not free.  Like every other Princess voyage, you can pay for the voyage with or without these.  To get these 3 so called early booking benefits adds over $4,000 to the cost.

16 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

The advertised benefits for early booking (pre Nov 30) are Premier drink package, Unlimited Wi-Fi, Gratuities, airfare for balcony and above, $500 OBC, 4 specialty dinning cover charges and a $1,000 discount for any level of Captain Circle.

I find this very misleading as the first 3 are not free.  Like every other Princess voyage, you can pay for the voyage with or without these.  To get these 3 so called early booking benefits adds over $4,000 to the cost.

I reviewed the WC Benefits linked to my email from Princess ... and I'm confused, as some or all of the Plus pweks are also WC Benefits for some or all cabin categories.  So, why pay the Plus fare at all?

I think Princess needs to review their WC Promo and Benefit materials, as well as their website pricing ... and make it all ready for primetime by eliminating the contradictiions 

Does anyone remember if past world cruises were first listed as only full world cruises then at some point Princess opened it up to some partial cruises?     

• Like 1

5 hours ago, waltd said:

Does anyone remember if past world cruises were first listed as only full world cruises then at some point Princess opened it up to some partial cruises?     

That is how I remember it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Waynetor said:

That is true, however if you price all of the benefits i.e., gratuities ($1609.50), air (assume$400), and wifi (assume $300), the difference between the no frills and early booking (for a BE) is $3330.  If you remove the price of the benefits, $2009.50, that leaves $1320.50 -- which averages out to about $11.89 per day you are paying for the beverage package.  A darn good deal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, waltd said:

7 hours ago, caribill said:

That is how I remember it.

For 2021 (first year using Island), Princess released a whole slew of segments, including stopping/starting in Singapore for example.  The only segment being offered this far for 2022 is FL to ROME.  We are on a wait-list for Singapore to FL for 2021, but not looking to take the trip (just wondering if we will ever get a notice of availability for our cabin type).  The 2021 release was all at the same time (perhaps they did so as it was first year with a larger ship).  However, the inventory available to be booked was severely limited.

49 minutes ago, KU1and2 said:

That is true, however if you price all of the benefits i.e., gratuities ($1609.50), air (assume$400), and wifi (assume $300), the difference between the no frills and early booking (for a BE) is $3330.  If you remove the price of the benefits, $2009.50, that leaves $1320.50 -- which averages out to about $11.89 per day you are paying for the beverage package.  A darn good deal.

Not sure where your pricing is from, but I get $4,329 price difference between Princess Saver and Early Booking Benefits pricing for both a Balcony and an Inside cabin.  Wifi pricing can easily be only $200/pp if passenger is Platinum or above which most are on these voyages.  I agree with your Grats value.  So, $4,329 - ($1609.50 + $200) = $2,519.50.  $400 may well be on the high side for an EZ-Air economy ticket on average  (I wonder if one can book Business/First and get a rebate reduction from Princess for value of the Econ fare on same flights??).  I am going to pick $355 for fun.  That leaves $2,519.50 - $355 air = $2,164.50 allocated to PBP.  That works out to $19.50/day, which is more in line with what I would expect and aligns somewhat with other cruises I have priced and analyzed.  

At $12 per day in your example, I would agree and for us it would be worth it as to do my own wine costs about $5/day/pp.  But $20/day for PVP just isn't worth it in our case.  Now, another consideration is how much wine can I reasonably get from Total Wine onto the ship on boarding day (I don't need advice there - just joking) for a 111 day voyage??!!!

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not sure where your pricing is from, but I get $4,329 price difference between Princess Saver and Early Booking Benefits pricing for both a Balcony and an Inside cabin.  Wifi pricing can easily be only $200/pp if passenger is Platinum or above which most are on these voyages.  I agree with your Grats value.  So, $4,329 - ($1609.50 + $200) = $2,519.50.  $400 may well be on the high side for an EZ-Air economy ticket on average  (I wonder if one can book Business/First and get a rebate reduction from Princess for value of the Econ fare on same flights??).  I am going to pick $355 for fun.  That leaves $2,519.50 - $355 air = $2,164.50 allocated to PBP.  That works out to $19.50/day, which is more in line with what I would expect and aligns somewhat with other cruises I have priced and analyzed.  

At $12 per day in your example, I would agree and for us it would be worth it as to do my own wine costs about $5/day/pp.  But $20/day for PVP just isn't worth it in our case.  Now, another consideration is how much wine can I reasonably get from Total Wine onto the ship on boarding day (I don't need advice there - just joking) for a 111 day voyage??!!!

Sorry - I should have indicated that pricing was coming from my TA.  We have always ordered Total Wine on-line and picked it up at the store a few hours before boarding. For the last World we did on HAL, we took aboard 30 bottles (charge of $18 per bottle).  I do usually have preferences for wine, and I am not familiar with Princess' wine list by the glass.    I think I will wait to see the wines that are offered by the glass before I decide (if possible).

But we also like specialty coffees, and I suppose I would have one most days if I didn't have to "pay" for it.

• 5 months later...

Another frustration... We booked a 10-day Alaska cruise for August next year (2021) and were taking our daughter and her fiance with us as a wedding present to them and Princess Cruise Line just cancelled the cruise, stating that the CDC won't allow cruising for USA cruises that are longer than 7 days thru November 1st 2021. We were so looking forward to this trip. It doesn't look good for cruising in 2021. This is the 4th cruise they have cancelled of ours.  I am concerned about the January 2022 world cruise happening at all.

• 4 months later...

For those of us that were supposed to be on the 2021 WC right now, we would have been in the Suez Canal yesterday and today.  We would be stuck there now.  😉  My husband always says "better to be lucky, than good". 

Edited by JandKCruisers
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, JandKCruisers said:

For those of us that were supposed to be on the 2021 WC right now, we would have been in the Suez Canal yesterday and today.  We would be stuck there now.  😉  My husband always says "better to be lucky, than good". 

Very interesting observation.  We were supposed to join in Venice and sail all the way back to Los Angeles.  Right about now, we'd be, packed, excited, and wondering if we should hop on an airplane to Venice or not.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JandKCruisers said:

Wow. Hadn't known that. I wish that was a bright spot but miffed that we didn't get to go. Now 2022 looks to be in jeopardy. Oh well...2023; here we come...

On 5/21/2020 at 11:31 PM, Waynetor said:

I was on the Island for 58 days Jan - Mar 20, never heard a complaint about the ship condition 

Can you tell me about the closet space? Are walls magnetic? Are there couches in balcony cabin?

Is there space under bed for luggage?

Thank you