Covid-19 Medical Coverage?

Hopefully cruising will restart later this year.  I have let my annual GeoBlue Trekker plan lapse as I have no travel plans until November.   My question does anybody know if GeoBlue or any other annual medical travel policy cover me if I happen to contract Covid-19 while traveling outside the country?   I'm concerned with medical expenses and evac.   I read recently that MedJet won't transport a covid-19 patient.

Go to the globule trekker and read the policy description.  I believe that they have made changes eliminating corona coverage in policies written more recently.  I don't remember the exact details.

Here is the GoeBlue link: https://about.geo-blue.com/crisisalert/covid19-members

Here is a quote from the FAQs.  The link will give you more info:

Is a member with a short-term (Voyager or Trekker) plan covered if they contract COVID-19?
Diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is covered without copay or other member contribution.

Treatment for COVID-19 is covered as an Illness under the policy, and we are waiving copay and other member contribution for covered treatment of COVID-19 cases diagnosed through May 31. Please note the following important exclusion: Coverage for pandemic illness, including COVID-19 is not covered if a member failed to depart a country within a reasonable time from the date the country became subject to a level-3 travel warning by the CDC, or similar travel warning from that country’s government. Members remaining in a country in that circumstance would not be covered for COVID-19, but otherwise would retain all coverage under the policy within its normal terms and conditions.

• Thanks 1

This is what's in the currently published plan description which is dated April 2018.

Note: Injuries and Illnesses resulting from Terrorism and pandemics are covered as any other Injury or Illness provided all of the following conditions are met:

1.The Covered Person had no direct or indirect involvement in the Terrorist Activity;

2.The Covered Person has not unreasonably failed or refused to depart a country or location following the date a warning to leave that country or location is issued by the United State government.

The "important exclusion" above seems consistent with #2 from the description assuming US Government issued the level-3 travel warning pretty much world wide by May 31.

I'd assume for cruising to resume the travel warnings are going to need to be reduced.  I'm surprised the plan description has not been revised to mention covid-19 explicitly.  Isn't that the legal coverage description approved by the insurance commissioner in each state to enable them to sell the policy?

The question is if no travel insurance is going to cover your medical expenses if you contract covid-19 while traveling, how can anyone resume traveling.   At some point I will probably be willing to accept the risk of contracting the disease but not the financial risk of the fairly low percentage of becoming hospitalized.   Just like I'm not willing to accept the low risk of having a heart attack while traveling and why I pay to insure myself for that risk.

Looking for an annual medical/evac solution for when I resume cruising.

Edited by wrk2cruise

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I hadn't really considered the medical insurance aspect of Covid until I saw this thread.   Although I'd be wiling to cruise as soon as the cruise lines think they have a plan, I wouldn't cruise without medical insurance.   I would wear a mask in public areas and practice social distancing.  The Level 3 travel advisory seems to be threshold for ending the insurance coverage.  As I read the CDC guidelines, all international travel is under a Level 3 warning and cruise line travel is also viewed as unnecessary.   It appears to me that both of these restrictions would need to be lifted in order to have coverage on a cruise.  I'm not sure that I see that happening soon for my November 2020 cruise or even my February 2021 cruises.  I had viewed my return to cruising as my decision, but the lack of insurance coverage takes that decision out of my hands.  

There had been some discussion about changing the policy language in other threads, by if I remember correctly Steve D. indicated that might be difficult because each state would need to have the insurance commissioners approve the language changes an that takes a long time.

I purchased 3rd party travel insurance for my November 2020 cruise before the pandemic, so that may still provide some coverage but I was really viewing the medical coverage as secondary because I was counting on my GeoBlue to provide the medical coverage.

I don't think we are going to find any coverage as long as the Level 3 waring is in effect.  For me the next deadline will be the end of July when final payment is due.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That GeoBlue COVID-19 restriction still continues and it effectively blocks COVID-19 anywhere in the world.  The current CDC policy has a Level 3 Warning for any non-essential International travel.

Hank

Yea.  I wonder how many people who are chomping at the bit to go cruising again are aware of the lack of coverage.  I want to go cruising but won't if there's a chance I test positive and get put off in a foreign port with no medical coverage for treatment.  I don't think Geo Blue is alone in this type of restriction.

I have a cruise scheduled for the beginning of November and I was ready to go with whatever restrictions that would be required.  As long as a bar and the MDR were open, I could have a good time on my balcony.  However, now that I really appreciate the insurance situation, I don't see that I could go.   I wonder if cruising has a Level 3 waring?  I f I stayed on the ship, I wonder if I would be covered.  Perhaps that's too big of a risk to take.

I'm in the process of trying to move my November B2B out a year.   Still holding out on Jan 4.

It will be interesting to see what the CDC says when they lift the ban.  If that will drop the threat level.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Our November cruise was a unique cruise on the Grandeur before it will be sold/transferred so we will be trying to get our deposit returned.  We are still holding for our B2B in February, but I'm starting to believe that may also be in danger.  We'll need to start vaccinating in September  to have a shot at cruising in early 2021.

It appears that Allianz, at the current time, is providing some coverage related to Covid-19: 

"However, until further notice, although not covered under most plans, we are currently accommodating claims for:

1. Under Emergency Medical Care Benefit: Emergency medical care for a customer who becomes ill with COVID-19 while on their trip.
  2. Under Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption Benefits: Trip cancellation and trip interruption if a customer becomes ill with COVID-19 either before or during their trip. 

"These accommodations are strictly applicable to COVID-19 and are only available for customers whose plan includes the applicable benefit.  All other terms, conditions, and exclusions of the plan apply as normal."

Read the whole alert here:

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/coverage-alerts/2019-novel-coronavirus.htm

• 2 months later...

Here's an update from the GeoBlue FAQ's  It appears that GeoBlue will now cover Covid 19 treatment under the single trip Voyager plans but not the multi-trip Trekker plans.  It appears that they have relaxed the Level 3 advisory restriction for the Voyager plans.   If my understanding is correct, at least we have an option for coverage if we have the option to cruise sometime soon.

GeoBlue Voyager and Trekker plans

During the COVID pandemic, diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is covered on Voyager and Trekker without copay or other member contribution.

Treatment for COVID-19 is covered as an Illness under GeoBlue Voyager plans, up to age 95. Additionally, we are waiving copay and other member contribution for covered treatment of COVID-19 cases diagnosed through December 31, 2020, for our Voyager plans.

Treatment for COVID-19 is excluded under GeoBlue Trekker Plans.

I would suggest you read my post (not far below) about Atlas Health Plan.  We are big fans of GeoBlue and have carried their annual Trekker plan for a few years.  Our plan lapses in December and we will wait and see what their plans are for COVID.  But if they continue to hedge or do not cover COVID related issues we will let our plan lapse and look to Atlas or some other company that may cover COVID.

Hank

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I would suggest you read my post (not far below) about Atlas Health Plan.  We are big fans of GeoBlue and have carried their annual Trekker plan for a few years.  Our plan lapses in December and we will wait and see what their plans are for COVID.  But if they continue to hedge or do not cover COVID related issues we will let our plan lapse and look to Atlas or some other company that may cover COVID.

Hank

Will do

Geo Blue changed their Trekker (multi-trip) and Voyager (single trip) wording on Sept 15th. Here they are so you may see the differences:

Trekker

Note: For existing and/or prospective members, injuries and Illnesses resulting from Terrorism and pandemics are covered as any other Injury or Illness provided all of the following conditions are met:

1) The Covered Person had no direct or indirect involvement in the Terrorist Activity;

2) The Covered Person has not unreasonably failed or refused to depart a country or location or is traveling to a country or location following the date a warning to leave or avoid travel to that country or location is issued by the United States government.

*Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) are not covered and are excluded under the plan. Medical Expenses associated with asymptomatic testing or expenses for quarantining (confinement outside of a hospital setting) are not covered under this Plan.

Voyager

Note: For existing and/or prospective members, injuries and Illnesses resulting from Terrorism and pandemics are covered as any other Injury or Illness provided all of the following conditions are met:

1) The Covered Person had no direct or indirect involvement in the Terrorist Activity;
2) The Covered Person has not unreasonably failed or refused to depart a country or location or is traveling to a country or location following the date a warning to leave or avoid travel to that country or location is issued by the United States government.

*Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) are not subject to the above exception and are covered as any other Injury or Illness. Medical Expenses associated with asymptomatic testing or expenses for quarantining (confinement outside of a hospital setting) are not covered under this Plan.

The Trekker excludes Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), but the Voyager does not.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo