Good experience with "lift and shift" in a studio balcony room...

Just wanted to share this because I know that there aren't that many studio balconies with unobstructed views. I booked my July 31 sailing on Ovation less than 2 weeks ago after using a website to look up prices which I cannot mention on here. I got the 7 night cruise for $924 including my choice of $55 OBC or insurance (I ended up getting both because they made an error in the listing). Naturally the cruise was canceled. 

I looked at the dates for next year and with the exception of one sailing, all the cabins left had obstructed views in their studio balconies. I did see an itinerary that I liked more than the one on Ovation on the Quantum (I've been on 2 Alaskan cruises before on NCL which were the same 7 night northern one out of Vancouver). That sailing had most of their unobstructed views left. I asked the agency I booked with if they could lift and switch me to that ship and they said that would probably be okay but that they had to check with RC because it was a different itinerary. I heard back and they were successful in getting me on that ship using the pricelock feature of the lift and shift promo.

This was my first experience using an agency (as well as with RC) and they left me with a good impression. Just wanted to share that it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm very excited because I've never been to Sitka or Icy Strait which are on this itinerary. This also is the first time where I have a cruise booked this far in advance (with the last 2 cruises, I booked within 2 weeks of the sail date because that's how I was able to get a much more reasonable rate as a solo cruiser). I have over a year to be excited instead of 2 weeks :)

Edited by FaithPlus1

31 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

924 sounds like a good price for a studio balcony with insurance and a bit of obc.

Alaska is awesome, I'm so glad they let you protect you price and move it a year.

Me too. I didn't think they would let me switch ships since the itinerary is different, but they did. Looking at old emails when I booked last I had an oceanview guarantee on NCL which cost $753 including insurance, and then on an interior guarantee on NCL it cost $527 (no insurance). When I saw the price with a balcony, I finally decided to get one :)

7 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Me too. I didn't think they would let me switch ships since the itinerary is different, but they did. Looking at old emails when I booked last I had an oceanview guarantee on NCL which cost $753 including insurance, and then on an interior guarantee on NCL it cost $527 (no insurance). When I saw the price with a balcony, I finally decided to get one 🙂

Different itineraries are fine as long as the itinerary type is the same.  They will even allow a one way north or south to switch to a round trip.

Great price, enjoy your trip next year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

This also is the first time where I have a cruise booked this far in advance (with the last 2 cruises, I booked within 2 weeks of the sail date because that's how I was able to get a much more reasonable rate as a solo cruiser). I have over a year to be excited instead of 2 weeks 🙂

The waiting is going to be the hard part. I'm not patient. I like to book and go. All this planning ahead is well and great. The waiting is driving me c r a z y. 

2 months ahead to me is a really long time in advance. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Different itineraries are fine as long as the itinerary type is the same.  They will even allow a one way north or south to switch to a round trip.

How is that different though? Aside from Juneau, Victoria, and Dawes, the rest is the same. I'm just confused with the language. I never thought they would let me switch considering Ovation had plenty of dates next summer with the same room category. 

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The waiting is going to be the hard part. I'm not patient. I like to book and go. All this planning ahead is well and great. The waiting is driving me c r a z y. 

Yeah lol, I don't plan trips way in advance for that reason. I need more instant gratification :)

12 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

How is that different though? Aside from Juneau, Victoria, and Dawes, the rest is the same. I'm just confused with the language. I never thought they would let me switch considering Ovation had plenty of dates next summer with the same room category. 

You were the one that said it was different. I was just pointing out that different ports did not matter as long as it was the same itinerary TYPE

10 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Yeah lol, I don't plan trips way in advance for that reason. I need more instant gratification 🙂

I'm glad to hear it's not just me. When I want to cruise I look for the next cruise and book it and go asap. All this waiting ... patience has never been my long suit. No I dont want to die. I haven't gotten a hair cut yet and willingly give up other things but I am soooooo ready to cruise I cant stand it.

My cousin yells do you want to die ? No but I'm willing to take my chances. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You were the one that said it was different. I was just pointing out that different ports did not matter as long as it was the same itinerary TYPE

So any Alaskan cruise would have worked as long as it was 7 days and on RC?

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I hear ya.  My OS is not until March 2022  That's a longggggggggggggggggggg time from now😇  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Just wanted to share this because I know that there aren't that many studio balconies with unobstructed views. I booked my July 31 sailing on Ovation less than 2 weeks ago after using a website to look up prices which I cannot mention on here. I got the 7 night cruise for $924 including my choice of $55 OBC or insurance (I ended up getting both because they made an error in the listing). Naturally the cruise was canceled. 

I looked at the dates for next year and with the exception of one sailing, all the cabins left had obstructed views in their studio balconies. I did see an itinerary that I liked more than the one on Ovation on the Quantum (I've been on 2 Alaskan cruises before on NCL which were the same 7 night northern one out of Vancouver). That sailing had most of their unobstructed views left. I asked the agency I booked with if they could lift and switch me to that ship and they said that would probably be okay but that they had to check with RC because it was a different itinerary. I heard back and they were successful in getting me on that ship using the pricelock feature of the lift and shift promo.

This was my first experience using an agency (as well as with RC) and they left me with a good impression. Just wanted to share that it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm very excited because I've never been to Sitka or Icy Strait which are on this itinerary. This also is the first time where I have a cruise booked this far in advance (with the last 2 cruises, I booked within 2 weeks of the sail date because that's how I was able to get a much more reasonable rate as a solo cruiser). I have over a year to be excited instead of 2 weeks 🙂

I was also fascinated to see Icy Strait since it is featured in Michener's book "Alaska".  Main feaure is a restored fish cannery that now sells tourist stuff and a few food stands that ran out of food quickly

.  We went to "town" on the shuttle bus.  Don't blink.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

Are there studios on Harmony?

From a RC blog, it looks like they have 3 studio interiors and 12 studio ocean view cabins. Info may be out of date though (it's from 2016). 

You had me curious so I looked on RC's website. In the plan for 4/4/21-4/24/22 it looks like they will have 15 studio oceanviews on deck 4, 

Edited by FaithPlus1

2 hours ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

I was also fascinated to see Icy Strait since it is featured in Michener's book "Alaska".  Main feaure is a restored fish cannery that now sells tourist stuff and a few food stands that ran out of food quickly

.  We went to "town" on the shuttle bus.  Don't blink.

Yeah when I first heard about Icy Strait I had a feeling it was another tourist trap created by the cruiselines. That said I have heard that it's a good place to just go whale watching from land without paying for a tour. I'm just up for somewhere that isn't Ketchikan or Skagway.