Cruise ship banned from aust until Sept. 17th 2020

Hi Just heard that cruise ships wont be able to come to Australia until after mid Sept.Just wondering your thoughts.Has any one got a cruise booked before this time. 

Regards Zanny

We have already had several cruises cancelled, and likely to have a few more before the end of the year cancelled as well. I am still optimistic that we can have cruises doing the trans-Tasman bubble by December 2020 but I certainly wouldn't money on it.

I have a cruise on Sapphire to N.Z. from Adelaide booked late Oct final payment due  early July hope the  travel agent extends final payment i cant really even see my cruise going ahead.Regards Zanny

31 minutes ago, Zanny said:

I have a cruise on Sapphire to N.Z. from Adelaide booked late Oct final payment due  early July hope the  travel agent extends final payment i cant really even see my cruise going ahead.Regards Zanny

We have a final payment due in July as well for a November fly/stay cruise package, it is out of Singapore and I doubt it will proceed. I am hoping that I do not need to make final payment only to have it canned, and then provide FCCs and flight vouchers.

Dillpickle 48. Just ti clear it up it did give a date of 17th Sept. Just google it and you will see. Any way i think tha t eill probably get changed to later in the year anyway

Zanny

Hi Folks

Lets not forget that unless the cruise calls at Australian ports only , there is the issue of what other countries will be willing to open their ports ...I suspect New Zealand may but only to Australian / NewZealand round trips , however a number of the pacific Islands will not be willing to take a chance just yet

Existing bookings would also need to be reconsidered for example inside cabins are going to be unacceptable and ships are not going to sail with all passenger space fully booked ....  and then there is the issue of the crew that has to be sorted

its going to take a great deal of time and effort to sort out these and other issues

Regards

John

11 hours ago, c130 said:

Sapphire scheduled on Sept 19 from Sydney. What are the chances????

Probably 2 important parts to answering your question.

First, most do not think cruise ships will be allowed back into Australian waters within any short timeframe.

Second, our borders basically are closed to all but returning citizens and permanent residents (then with a 14 day enforced quarantine). Various govt reps have indicated that this will not be relaxed until into the new year.

Buckleys and Nunn was a department store. Buckley’s chance means none at all.

We had booked the Southern Australia cruise on the Sapphire Princess and managed to get a balcony cabin at a good price. It was quite a nice itinerary and one I was looking forward to doing but considering the current situation with COVID19 and restrictions on domestic interstate travel I expected this cruise would be cancelled at some stage. Princess sent me an email yesterday confirming that cruise was indeed cancelled. I had only paid a deposit and will be seeking a refund as we don't intend to do another cruise in the foreseeable future. To those that had booked the trip on the Sapphire leaving Sydney on the 19th September I don't like your chances of that that cruise going ahead as that would have been the day we disembarked in Sydney. In the current environment TBH I cannot see cruise ships being allowed to do trips from Australia for some time let alone this year. 

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have a final payment due in July as well for a November fly/stay cruise package, it is out of Singapore and I doubt it will proceed. I am hoping that I do not need to make final payment only to have it canned, and then provide FCCs and flight vouchers.

Booked on that one as well.  However, dependent as well on flights to Singapore.  Not counting my chickens yet.  Already two cancelled.  Supposed to be boarding Star Princess to Alaska today from SAN Francisco.  First time I have managed to have both “kids” free to sail with me at same time.

6 hours ago, nnps said:

John, I'm not sure why you think inside cabins are unacceptable. I would be quite happy with one.

I'm with you,  don't understand why people expect inside cabins to go.

Lots of people sit in various places inside the ship & never go outside all day long, maybe they will have to stop that too🤔

5 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Probably 2 important parts to answering your question.

First, most do not think cruise ships will be allowed back into Australian waters within any short timeframe.

Second, our borders basically are closed to all but returning citizens and permanent residents (then with a 14 day enforced quarantine). Various govt reps have indicated that this will not be relaxed until into the new year.

Buckleys and Nunn was a department store. Buckley’s chance means none at all.

Rhetorical Question. 😎

8 hours ago, nnps said:

John, I'm not sure why you think inside cabins are unacceptable. I would be quite happy with one.

Hi

Joe Public has seen references to windowless boxes on floating petrie dishes ....the publicity from diamond and ruby princess highlighted this ,,,, some here might be happy with inside cabins but I bet Joe Public wont be

Regards

John

8 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi

Joe Public has seen references to windowless boxes on floating petrie dishes ....the publicity from diamond and ruby princess highlighted this ,,,, some here might be happy with inside cabins but I bet Joe Public wont be

Regards

John

Personally, I think Joe Public should not cruise at all, he is a slob that commute disease and hence makes anywhere he goes a petrie dish. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, joejoe 59 said:

I'm with you,  don't understand why people expect inside cabins to go.

There are reports of the ships expecting to have to cruise with less passengers onboard - an option is to not take bookings for the cheaper cabins under these circumstances, hence maximizing revenue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

There are reports of the ships expecting to have to cruise with less passengers onboard - an option is to not take bookings for the cheaper cabins under these circumstances, hence maximizing revenue. 

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I wonder what they will do with people that already have bookings in inside cabins.

17 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi

Regards

John

I would be happy for Joe Public not booking inside cabins, they will be cheaper for us that dont mind 🤣🛳️