Cruise Critic Community
molly361

Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

647 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Because a promotional video from a guy selling marks is really good science.

If you're interested in real science on masks read the following.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data

This video demonstrates a simple basic concept which is exactly what the general public needs to understand how masks block droplets. I think this demonstration is extremely effective.

I'm interested in real science on masks and I have seen a few videos demonstrating how droplets are blocked in the mask using infrared and black light. Same result but the T-Shirt demo really brings it home.

The video you posted is more about how masks do not protect the wearer of the mask. Most people know this by now. My video was to demonstrate how wearing a masks protects people around the wearer of the mask.

Edited by coffeebean

If we are supposed to wear a mask, I'd wear one.  It's not that big of a deal.  Obviously you can't wear one while doing certain activities and I would expect them to understand that.  Waterslides, flowrider, swimming, etc.  Dining is a no.  Drinking in the bar is a no.  Anything that requires frequent hand to mouth.  

However, during certain assemblies (e.g. Muster) or shows, no issues for me.  Anyone who has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask should seriously reconsider cruising as they are at high risk anyway.  

Once we have a vaccine, I think this whole thing will be a non-issue.  You will likely have to show proof of vaccine as you do for other sorts of travel (e.g. Yellow Fever in some areas).  

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

10 pages on this thread alone and you don't understand some of the opposing viewpoints?

It’s the new dress code thread. 😉

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

It’s the new dress code thread. 😉

Formal night

iHeartRaves Accessories | Rose Gold Minisequin Face Mask | Poshmark

7 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Same thing started in Deland last weekend.  Rumor has it these group’s will be back June 6th. Just sad. 

I'd like to see Air-1 equipped with a water cannon. 

45 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

This video demonstrates a simple basic concept which is exactly what the general public needs to understand how masks block droplets. I think this demonstration is extremely effective.

I'm interested in real science on masks and I have seen a few videos demonstrating how droplets are blocked in the mask using infrared and black light. Same result but the T-Shirt demo really brings it home.

The video you posted is more about how masks do not protect the wearer of the mask. Most people know this by now. My video was to demonstrate how wearing a masks protects people around the wearer of the mask.

Your video is non-scientific commercial advertising from a distributor of masks with a financial vested interest in the promotion of mask sales.  My article, not video, produced by the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Reearch and Policy demonstrates that wearing a mask may present a bigger risk than not wearing one.  For 10 weeks we've been told to trust the science.  That's what I'm doing.  Getting scientific information from a mask merchant on Youtube isn't science.

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Formal night

iHeartRaves Accessories | Rose Gold Minisequin Face Mask | Poshmark

If my designer mask has holes in it, can I wear it on Formal Night in the MDR?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ECCruise said:

When seat belts were implemented (by law) there was nowhere near 50+ years of science and facts.

There's a bit of difference between the gov't requiring cars be fitted with seat belts (late 60s) and requiring them to be used (late 80s to early 90s).

Also, a bit of a diff between the seat belt which is protecting the user, vs. a mask which supposedly is used mostly to protect others.

Edited by Biker19

NO,ABSOLUTELY NOT IN A MILLION YEARS

9 hours ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

If it makes others feel better, why the hell not.  It’s really for mutual protection.   

Maybe therein lies the difference. I really down't care about how others feel (just as they don't care about how I feel). Someone else's emotions is their problem to deal with, not mine.

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 9:19 AM, Ocean Boy said:

10 pages on this thread alone and you don't understand some of the opposing viewpoints?

Well, here is a new twist which is my musing over a cup of coffee and a very slow holiday morning in the hospital......

Actually, if you look at the animal kingdom, which we humans happen to be a part of,  protection of the air passagways seems to be a pretty universal instinct. There is little tolerance for anything that impedes the free flow of air. My dog will tolerate a leash, which is somewhat equivilent to your seatbelt reference, but try in any way to cover her nose or pinch it off and she will have no part if it. So, somehow, we are more intelligent than all the other beings in the kingdom because we will give in to the "experts", or give into peer pressure, who say we should cover our faces when the instinct to protect the free flow of gas exchange has evolved, for very good reason, over millions of years.....

Or maybe slow mornings are not good for me and that this adversion to masks has nothing to do with the above and it is as simple as the reasons that have been stated over the course of this, and several other, threads.🤔

10 pages of previous post have nothing to do with me responding to something that was just posted.

No, I don't understand the opposing views - people are entitled to them, but that doesn't mean I have to agree.  As long as there isn't a medical reason involved where wearing a mask is not a good idea, (and those people are probably high risk and shouldn't be out anyhow), I don't understand what the big deal is about wearing one right now.  As far as preventing the flow of air - give me a break.  Some of the things I see people wear in no way can impede breathing, but I do believe they keep infected people from spreading SOME droplets.  

Again, I do it out of respect for others, not because I think it will protect me.

Edited by mek

If anyone says " I want to stay safe" ONE.MORE.TIME..😒

5 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

If anyone says " I want to stay safe" ONE.MORE.TIME..😒

Well, I guess we could go back to the “have a nice day” .. I don’t know.... I am living a movie I would never watch. 

Couldn't find garden gloves, wet ones, wet wipes.  I scored diaper wipes which I have made  my own wet wipes. So how about “stay positive”.

At first I said no but after thinking about it, I switched to yes.  I work in the ICU where I wear an N95 at least 3 to 4 hours straight.  I can definitely handle wearing a mask in the cruise lines’ public spaces. 

41 minutes ago, Erik101 said:

At first I said no but after thinking about it, I switched to yes.  I work in the ICU where I wear an N95 at least 3 to 4 hours straight.  I can definitely handle wearing a mask in the cruise lines’ public spaces. 

I think of all the surgeons, doctors, and nurses who wear masks for extended periods of time, and it makes me laugh when people claim that they are breathing in carbon dioxide from wearing a mask...how does the medical world survive? lol

After wearing a mask in 88 degree heat here in Michigan today it just verified how much I would not enjoy it in hot conditions.  It’s much different in the comfort of air conditioning versus heat (and potential humidity)

Dan

On 5/25/2020 at 2:05 PM, Tree_skier said:

Your video is non-scientific commercial advertising from a distributor of masks with a financial vested interest in the promotion of mask sales.  My article, not video, produced by the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Reearch and Policy demonstrates that wearing a mask may present a bigger risk than not wearing one.  For 10 weeks we've been told to trust the science.  That's what I'm doing.  Getting scientific information from a mask merchant on Youtube isn't science.

And your article is the one YOU have chosen. The one I read today, from the Mayo clinic (I think they still count as science), recommends their use to help curb spread to others.

By the way, just how many hands high is that horse you ride?

51 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

I think of all the surgeons, doctors, and nurses who wear masks for extended periods of time, and it makes me laugh when people claim that they are breathing in carbon dioxide from wearing a mask...how does the medical world survive? lol

What’s worse is when I have colleagues who claim their carbon dioxide levels are increasing from wearing an N95. 

🤦🏻

2 minutes ago, Erik101 said:

What’s worse is when I have colleagues who claim their carbon dioxide levels are increasing from wearing an N95. 

🤦🏻

Oh good grief! 🤪

Aside from all the thoughtful people who understand the use of masks is for prevention of the spread of illness to others...I read the "heck no" comments and immediately smile at all the available cabins to choose from at competitive pricing to entice and enable return cruisers. Thanks naysayers...your loss is our gain.

7 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

After wearing a mask in 88 degree heat here in Michigan today it just verified how much I would not enjoy it in hot conditions.  It’s much different in the comfort of air conditioning versus heat (and potential humidity)

Dan

loving this weather across the border here in Ontario. 

Posted (edited)

Imagine a cruise with the Karen’s of the world, along with the Anti-Karen’s. Both can prove to be problematic, as the press has shown the last few, days from dog walking to pool parties. All depends what side you see it from.🤷‍♂️

CC should really spice up when sailing begins again, one day.

@Biker19get the 🐎 ready. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

33 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Biker19get the 🐎 ready. 

Not sure which mask thread will wind down on its own first, sorta like this pandemic.