Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

12 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/landing/preparing-for-coronavirus#:~:text=The CDC recommends wearing cloth,to practice social distancing.

The CDC recommends wearing cloth masks for the following reasons:

• A cloth mask can help individuals cover a cough or sneeze; reducing the spread of germs.
  • A cloth mask will not prevent you from breathing in respiratory droplets which carry a virus, like COVID-19.
  • Some people with COVID-19 have mild to no symptoms, and may be spreading the virus unknowingly. Cloth masks could help cut down how far the virus spreads.
  • Cloth masks can prevent you from touching your face, and can be a visual reminder to practice social distancing.

Oh my....  I don’t think wearing a mask outside of N95 has been promoted to be worn to protect the wearer.  It’s worn to protect others around you.  Who has said a mask protects the wearer (outside of N95)?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Oh my....  I don’t think wearing a mask outside of N95 has been promoted to be worn to protect the wearer.  It’s worn to protect others around you.  Who has said a mask protects the wearer (outside of N95)?

I believe you are correct.

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It was certainly was implied in pcur's post that I was responding to.

19 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

It was certainly was implied in pcur's post that I was responding to.

Go back and read you post #297. You say entering or leaving the mask. So it does apply. Again, not to protect the wearer but offer some limiting of expelled virus. Not all. 

2 hours ago, HxFx said:

I thought the non medical masks were for protecting others, not yourself? 

They are, and we should ALL wear some type of mask and protect each other.  But, as I posted above, there is some protection provided if you have a mask made with a good blocking material.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Again:  if I'm wearing a cloth mask that stops 80% of MY potential droplets, and others wear there's, then we all protect each other.  

I've been doing this for 2.5 months, sheltering in place, shopping once a week with people who don't do the safe thing for others,  and on 5/22/20 my husband and I tested negative for COVID19.

So, masks do help.  Fabric masks made from tightly woven cotton are the best fabric without using professional medical masks (Forbes article from 4/27/20 on testing mask fabrics).  I want the first responders to have the N95's, and I want mine reusable, too.  Drop in the washer for hot water and soap in the next load, and into the dryer.

***********************************************************************************************************

Found the article:

Forbes Magazine:  4/27/20

When each fabric was used in a single layer, high thread count cotton performed the best with a filtration efficiency of around 80% for particles larger than 300 nanometers. However, the fabric samples performed even better when layered.

Edited by pcur

3 hours ago, HxFx said:

I believe this is the sentence Dinglebert was referring to when commenting about your assumptions. People may have voted with different assumptions since the question does not state "part time". I voted No but later said that my vote would change depending on the actual rules (would only wear one for embarkation/debarkation - I don't do elevators anyway so doesn't matter for me there). At least I think it was this thread, they should merge the two RCI mask threads!

Thanks for clarifying.  I read the term "part time" to mean taking the mask off while eating or drinking; otherwise wearing it.

9 hours ago, pcur said:

What definitely convinced me to wear a mask when going out in public is the CDC or WHO article about other people's air space.

I told Mr. Pcur when he goes to Home Depot, for instance, and stands in line with a social distance, and the line moves forward.  Well, he's walking through someone else's air space from a few seconds/minutes ago, and COVID19 droplets hang around in the air for a while, especially if the person has been talking and pushing air out forcefully.  Think about the number of people you see standing in line talking on a cell phone.

The information I read said to stagger your position so you are behind and off to the side of the person in front of you.  We are all conditioned to line up like little soldiers, so it's a hard habit to break.

Regarding the CO2 build-up in a mask:  once you get somewhere social distant from others, or in a breezy location, pull your mask down and breathe deeply for a few breaths.  

Makes sense but........Gee, who is going to inform all those people who have already placed those "Stand Here" signs on the floors of countless public retailers, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Thanks for clarifying.  I read the term "part time" to mean taking the mask off while eating or drinking; otherwise wearing it.

Maybe that will be the catalyst to increase drink package sales.😉

7 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

You might as well not wear them..... tee shirt material.... whether single, double. triple. quad..... totally ineffective at preventing the virus from entering or leaving!

BINGO! I''ve been waiting for a comment just like this one. Have you seen this video demonstration of "How a Mask Blocks Droplets"? You may change your mind.

FYI....I did this same demonstration on my bathroom mirror using a single layer of paper towel and I had the same result.........

Edited by coffeebean

3 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

FYI....I did this same demonstration on my bathroom mirror using a single layer of paper towel and I had the same result.........

Well, you have been much more productive than I have. I'm just sitting here drinking a glass of wine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

EZCJeJBX0AMnJ6b.jpeg

Oh my goodness. That is old news. It is quite well known at this point that the CDC and our government Coronavirus task force claimed mask wearing was not necessary for "healthy people" because they were afraid there would be not enough masks for health care professionals on the front lines. Of course they changed their tune and announced that face coverings was recommended to protect others. I wish they were honest with us to begin with. As soon as this announcement was made, Americans went into action. People were making home made masks and posting instructional videos on YouTube like crazy. We swung into action like it was like a true war effort. Americans became  just like Rosy the Riveter in WWII. 

I truly believe if our government and the CDC encouraged Americans to wear face coverings early on (February) when this pandemic arrived in the US, we, as a unified country could have mitigated this virus and could have saved many many lives. Masks do block the droplets from an asymptomatic carrier of the virus. Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci have both claimed this is true.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Yup...everyone's smarter now in late May...

Well well well...it appears those who accepted using masks and practiced smart prevention have been contributing to making things better - those who are in denial or refuse....you might want to read up on this new article today:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/masks-seem-to-be-working-to-fight-the-virus-even-as-some-refuse-them-and-us-deaths-near-100000/ar-BB14ELUR?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 3

17 hours ago, pcur said:

I wonder how this 58% are going to feel a year from now if the mask requirement is still in place?  

As one of the 58% I'll feel exactly the same. I won't cruise. There are plenty of other places to see and things to do. I enjoy cruising but only as one of many vacation options. I've had 2 cruises cancelled this year but the holiday I was most looking forward to - a villa in Portugal with family - looks like it will go ahead and that's the sort of holiday I'll take in future if masks are required on cruises

16 hours ago, pcur said:

Plus, we've been doing this for over a month now, and got tested for COVID19 last Friday with negative results.  So, I think the masks are doing OK.

So your logic appears to say that since you've been wearing a homemade mask you haven't caught Covid. Here in the UK there is no requirement to wear masks and when out and about very few people do wear them. I have never worn one and neither has my husband. He was chosen to be randomly tested for Covid and his test came back negative. To use your logic I could say we've not been wearing masks for over a month and are negative so not wearing them is ok!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Bobal said:

So your logic appears to say that since you've been wearing a homemade mask you haven't caught Covid. 

This response to the other post demonstrates the inaccurate urban legend mindset about Covid.  Kudos to those who wear their mask and adhere to the recommended social distancing.

Folks need to actually read the details in the linked article in Post #336 - the misinterpretations and lack of understanding about masks is approaching staggering in this thread. 

All this will impact cruising in the future, as some folks will miss out on the joy of cruises because of misinformation or misunderstanding how protective measures work.