Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

People eat and drink in all public areas on the ships except (hopefully) the restrooms.  Therefore, people will have to constantly remove their masks, which defeats the purpose of wearing them.  That is different than going to a store wearing a mask.  Nobody needs to open their mask while grocery shopping.  

Mask wearing is only helpful if the person wearing it doesn't remove it while in the area required to wear it.  I can't see how this could possibly be a benefit other than getting on the ship, getting off of the ship, and using the elevators.  Every other place, people will be removing their masks to eat and drink.  How can anyone think they are safer in an area where people must constantly remove or adjust their mask to eat and drink?  Talk about a false sense of security.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

People eat and drink in all public areas on the ships except (hopefully) the restrooms.  Therefore, people will have to constantly remove their masks, which defeats the purpose of wearing them.  That is different than going to a store wearing a mask.  Nobody needs to open their mask while grocery shopping.  

Mask wearing is only helpful if the person wearing it doesn't remove it while in the area required to wear it.  I can't see how this could possibly be a benefit other than getting on the ship, getting off of the ship, and using the elevators.  Every other place, people will be removing their masks to eat and drink.  How can anyone think they are safer in an area where people must constantly remove or adjust their mask to eat and drink?  Talk about a false sense of security.

Since we do not know under which conditions masks need to be worn, I think we should wait for those plans to finalize after which it makes sense again to discuss if someone is willing to go crusing under these conditions or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LXA350 said:

Since we do not know under which conditions masks need to be worn, I think we should wait for those plans to finalize after which it makes sense again to discuss if someone is willing to go crusing under these conditions or not.

I think we sort of do know the condition(s).  A real risk of contracting the coronavirus still exists.  So, I’m not interested in cruising if that’s the case.

3 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

That's true.  I think many more people would be willing to wear masks while getting on the ship, off of the ship, and using the elevators, than being required to wear them the entire time while they are in public areas.

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That's true.  I think many more people would be willing to wear masks while getting on the ship, off of the ship, and using the elevators, than being required to wear them the entire time while they are in public areas.

That's the most crazy thing I have ever read, it you don't wear them in public places why bother wearing them at all..........people are going to be within 6 ft of you all over the ship, pre, post and on the ship.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

I'll be honest. Yes, of course I would cruise but I would most likely cheat like hell while wearing it. Can't smoke, eat, or drink while wearing one so it would most likely cover my chin and then I'd pull it up if I got hollered at.........just to lower it again once the hollerer left.

🙄 And THAT folks is why any cruise start will likely be a disaster.  Thanks for ruining it for everyone else.  Take your personal freedoms and crawl back under the rock you came from.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

🙄 And THAT folks is why any cruise start will likely be a disaster.  Thanks for ruining it for everyone else.  Take your personal freedoms and crawl back under the rock you came from.

It will not be a desaster, whatever will be implemented will be a new normal and we will need to get used to it. The measures we will see will not be specifically on the cruise it will be ones to be implemented in various other situations of our daily lives, hence just something to get used to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Probably...enjoy.

Nah.  His sorry behind will be put off the cruise ship if he belligerently sticks to his game plan, he'll be banned on that cruise line and likely any other.  Does he really think other lines are going to put up with his nonsense?  The cruise lines need this reopen to work!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

How would RCL handle it if someone presents them with a documented medical condition where they can't wear one? There are people who cannot wear masks.

Probably wouldn't be allowed to cruise then, you can bet that will be in the cruise contract you sign before sailing. Must wear mask. 

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

It will not be a desaster, whatever will be implemented will be a new normal and we will need to get used to it. The measures we will see will not be specifically on the cruise it will be ones to be implemented in various other situations of our daily lives, hence just something to get used to.

Cruising is nothing like my daily life. How does one extrapolate what happens in everyday life to life on a cruise ship? We will not know what is being put into place until cruising actually starts and people report back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

You missed my point entirely.  I'm responding to someone who says he will not comply with the new normal.  If enough cruisers go with his attitude and there is an outbreak then it WILL be a disaster!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

You missed my point entirely.  I'm responding to someone who says he will not comply with the new normal.  If enough cruisers go with his attitude and there is an outbreak then it WILL be a disaster!

Sorry for the confusion, yes fully on board with you 🙂

• Like 1

The decisions about the requirements for passengers to cruise again will be decided by governments and lawyers, not the customer.  We do have a choice whether to cruise or not.  I can not wear a mask for long periods of time due to hypercapnia exacerbating my asthma and nasal polyps.  I will therefore take my vacations dollars elsewhere.  Many places in this beautiful country I can drive to that do not require masks.  No anger from me towards any one.  It is just the way it is.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Probably wouldn't be allowed to cruise then, you can bet that will be in the cruise contract you sign before sailing. Must wear mask. 

Probably right. This will end up being a huge legal mess though for RCL and they'll lose a LOT of business over it.

3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Probably right. This will end up being a huge legal mess though for RCL and they'll lose a LOT of business over it.

New Times means New Rules, this is done strictly for the customers and other passengers health............At this time can't see any court looking at it any differently.

Rather lose some business then the cruise company folding up.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Not just RCI. The cruise industry has enough of an image problem right now. Controversy of any type is not going to help the cause and the media will be more than happy to bring any controversy to the forefront.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

New Times means New Rules, this is done strictly for the customers and other passengers health............At this time can't see any court looking at it any differently.

Rather lose some business then the cruise company folding up.

I'm not against mask wearing, but I see potential for this being a legal disaster, HIPAA violations where someone asks for specific reasons they can't wear one, etc. There's this card floating around online, a vague attempt trying to make it appear official, when it isn't...and, if you catch the error in it, say what it is, LOL

mask rule.jpg

24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

That's the most crazy thing I have ever read, it you don't wear them in public places why bother wearing them at all..........people are going to be within 6 ft of you all over the ship, pre, post and on the ship.

The craziest thing I have read is wearing a mask while on the ship when people will have to constantly remove them to eat and drink.  That completely defeats the purpose of wearing a mask.  At least getting on and off the ship and riding in an elevator people can do that without removing their masks.  There is no way people can walk around the cruise decks while eating and drinking and keep their mask on.  It is impossible.  

• Like 1

Just now, TNcruising02 said:

The craziest thing I have read is wearing a mask while on the ship when people will have to constantly remove them to eat and drink.  That completely defeats the purpose of wearing a mask.  At least getting on and off the ship and riding in an elevator people can do that without removing their masks.  There is no way people can walk around the cruise decks while eating and drinking and keep their mask on.  It is impossible.  

It'll be a constant monitoring and policing NIGHTMARE....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

and that is why nobody is going to cruise this year..............that is the issue.........wait for vaccine,   have most people vaccinated by April 2021, that is why I continue to think 1st cruises start up April 2021

Edited by Jimbo

2 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I'm not against mask wearing, but I see potential for this being a legal disaster, HIPAA violations where someone asks for specific reasons they can't wear one, etc. There's this card floating around online, a vague attempt trying to make it appear official, when it isn't...and, if you catch the error in it, say what it is, LOL

mask rule.jpg

First of all it is HIPAA not HIPPA. Secondly HIPAA adresses no such thing. It only applies to medical facilities. Next, I'm no lawyer but I don't know what protections the Constitution of the U.S. provides its citizens once they leave the country. My guess would be none.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

and that is why nobody is going to cruise this year..............that is the issue.........wait for vaccine,   have most people vaccined by April 2021, that is why I continue to think 1st cruises start up April 2021

Then I'd better start lifting and shifting.

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Cruising is nothing like my daily life. How does one extrapolate what happens in everyday life to life on a cruise ship? We will not know what is being put into place until cruising actually starts and people report back.

That's true...but in the meantime it is enjoyable for many of us to kill time speculating.

It's a rainy Saturday here in NJ. Can't go for a walk. Can't go to a closed mall....or a closed movie theater, etc. etc.

My two cents is that like may previous posters, I wouldn't go on a cruise 'til any potential mask requirements were lifted.

I wear one locally to get things at the supermarket. After 45 minutes of wearing a mask in there I am so grateful to take it off.

I wouldn't enjoy a show in the ship's theater if I had to wear a mask for over an hour.

Yet I wouldn't book a cruise for this August or September and sit next to someone without a mask either.

This is the dilemma for many people.

# 1 If I get on a cruise that requires masks....I won't like that!

#2 If I get on a cruise that doesn't require masks...i won't like THAT either! 😄

Many will just opt to wait to cruise until 2021.

Certainly I am among those who will do that.

Edited by SSBrickNJ
  • Like 4