Would you cruise if Wearing a mask is mandatory?

Would you cruise if wearing a mask is Mandatory?  

711 members have voted

1. 1. Will you cruise if wearing a mask is mandatory?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

3 hours ago, johnjen said:

Thing on that was, "HIPPA" should be "HIPPA" and cheers to the amazingly brilliant idea on the "government agents" thing....

Being Canadian I don’t know the proper American short form terms for privacy rights groups etc. I was running with the idea of people using fake accreditations, like ones being used for comfort pets being pawned off as support animals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

I was at a popular chain store today, then the grocery store and at a restaurant (inside eating now allowed) and hardly anyone was wearing masks.  The cashiers, the wait staff and a few senior shoppers (me included) were the only ones wearing masks.

There will be no mask requirement when cruising resumes nor will there be social distancing (thank goodness!).

I was at my local supermarket today to pick up a few things.  95% of people were wearing masks.  The 5% who weren't, despite a sign on the door saying they are required, really pissed me off.  Some people don't care about anyone but themselves.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

30,000 people in phase 3 trials just begun.  I'm not a vaccine fan but the idea that it will take 10 years belies our current reality.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/coronavirus-us-gives-astrazenena-1-billion-for-oxford-vaccine.html

Things will be fast tracked and for sure by next year there will be several vaccines in play and we'll have millions vaccinated and likely yearly and then years from now we'll see, if there happens to be any placebo that are statistically relevant and in enough numbers to evaluate the downside, why do I think we'll never see that side, LOL

11 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

I was at my local supermarket today to pick up a few things.  95% of people were wearing masks.  The 5% who weren't, despite a sign on the door saying they are required, really pissed me off.  Some people don't care about anyone but themselves.

In the name of freedom, did they have pants, shirt and shoes, the absurdity of this all.

• Like 1

I dont feel like I will feel comfortable on board with a mask. I cruise to relax, not to feel stressed. Mask will make me feel very uncomfortable. Many people choose tours like a cruise to escape the problems of the world on shore.. not to bring it with them. In my humble opinion 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Don’t believe this is true for the Abbott tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had to look it up

The test – which Babylon says is being offered at cost and will use a kit developed by Abbott – can be taken at home but won’t give an immediate results as the sample needs to be sent for analysis in a laboratory.

The news sparked an almost immediate rebuttal from Abbott however, which insists its test “was developed for use by laboratory professionals using a venous blood sample that is taken by a healthcare provider. It is not a home test and it should not be conducted with a finger stick blood sample.”

Test missed patients with symptoms

The NYU researchers called the Abbott test "unacceptable."
"The fact that it misses positive samples on patients being admitted to the hospital with clinical picture of COVID19 makes this technology unacceptable in our clinical setting," they wrote in the study.
The Abbott test was better for the negative samples, with a 98.5% accuracy rate, according to the NYU research.
The research was posted on the pre-print server biorxiv.org. It was not reviewed by outside scientists or published in a medical journal.
Abbott disputed the findings.
"The NYU study results are not consistent with other studies," the company said in a statement posted on its website.
"For example, in another recent study in Washington state, out of approximately 1,000 subjects there were 23 positive for COVID-19 on a lab test and ID NOW picked up 21, demonstrating 91% sensitivity and 100% specificity. We have many questions for the study authors," the company added.

I see nothing about it being able to pick up that someone has just been infected by the virus but that it has not yet had time to develop anything.

I voted NO. Hopefully by the time I go on a cruise,  it will not be mandatory. If it is optional, that is fine. If you feel comfortable wearing a mask most of the time, that is your decision. But, if I am paying good money to take a cruise, where there is sea, sun and fresh air,  I don't want to be wearing a mask. Also, it would not be required when drinking or eating, and it seems that most people will be drinking if just a bottle of water. Enforcing it would be difficult. They could make it a requirement for entry into the theater, or any place where crowds assemble, but then why are you even on a cruise?  But personally, I don't feel comfortable with a mask on my face for hours on end, not to mention possible health risk to yourself by wearing one for long periods of time. Not happening. Especially, on a cruise, with all that wonderful fresh air. The first thing on my agenda to do as things normalize is to take a cruise. But, I draw the line at mandating mask wearing.

Edited by keywestbruce
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I agree.  The thing about cruising is that people eat and drink everywhere.  I don't see how social distancing is possible unless the ships sail half full.  Testing people for the virus before boarding makes so much more sense than requiring a mask while on the ship.

You can be tested on Monday before boarding the ship & be negative

-pick up the virus on Wednesday when in some port

And be positive on Thursday

9 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

I read it off Tripadvisor from one of their articles. Didn’t mention all islands but I imagine ones like Barbados, St Thomas, St Martin will have it. Caymans are closed thru 2020 for ships. I’m booked on Celebrity for 1/30 in a Sky Suite for a week out of San Juan with flights by Celebrity so I can cancel all with no penalty until Nov 1. Right now I will admit my chance of going and not canceling is diminishing each week as I see what’s going on. My next cruise is Celebrity for 10 days out of Ft Lauderdale on 2/23/2022. By then a vaccine will be here, that may be the most practice solution to avoid problems on and off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So your not staying in a suite on Celebrity?

If it were just for inside venues, I could probably live with the mask, which seems to be the new normal everywhere, but not outside.If outside were made optional, then i wouldn't wear one, but others would, and that's the choice I would want.

I'm voting no, but not because I wouldn't wear one. I would, but only if it made sense. In the theater would make sense. Outdoors on the lido deck would not make sense. However, who can predict what the policy would be? How many "Karens" would be on the ship giving dirty looks if you left your mask off for too long in the dining room because you lost track of time in between bites. Forget it.

If you're too old and/or unhealthy, don't get on a cruise ship. This disease isn't as deadly as we thought to people who are young and healthy.

Based on the majority of "no" answers on various mask threads on CC, my guess is they won't make mask-wearing "mandatory in all public areas" for fear that they'll be sailing mostly empty.  Purely speculative of course but I'm betting on mask wearing during embarkation, prior to screening and then lots of signage around the ship "suggesting" mask-wearing (and social distancing when possible) .  I don't think there will be any daily temp taking or testing unless someone feels ill or shows symptoms.  I just don't think people on vacation want to que up for daily screenings and will decide to stay home.  Maybe they will take your temp as you disembark and pull anyone aside with a fever but I even doubt that.

If they want to follow the same social distancing protocol as restaurants on land, they'll have to take out a lot of tables to space everything apart 6 feet - and it will be a challenge to have a dinner service for a full ship with probably half the tables, so I agree that they will likely resume sailing at 50% capacity.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 6:20 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Think about what you wrote.

If everyone is wearing a mask, then everyone is protected.

Absolutely agree. It will be nearly impossible to have 100% compliance from Americans to wear masks but surely the spread of this virus will be mitigated to some degree.

16 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Being Canadian I don’t know the proper American short form terms for privacy rights groups etc. I was running with the idea of people using fake accreditations, like ones being used for comfort pets being pawned off as support animals. 

I’m American and don’t know them all. New ones occur on a regular basis. 

23 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Even if masks are mandatory, which I think they will be initially, I assume they will have exceptions like when you are eating or drinking. I don’t think smoking will be a problem since smoking will likely be banned by the CDC when cruises resume. 

I'm hoping smoking will be banned indoors at least. There are more droplets released into the air along with the cigarette smoke when a smoker exhales the smoke. This action makes it even more dangerous to people around a smoker.

Can't see whether this has been addressed on here but if wearing a mask is mandatory, even only in some parts of the ship, I wonder if the option will be given to cancel a cruise and receive a refund/credit for those who don't want to sail under such conditions. There is absolutely no way I am setting foot on a ship where any wearing of masks in obligatory and would prefer not to cruise than to do so

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

And you base this theory on what evidence? Any cruise line who bans smoking completely will never see another one of my cruise dollars.

Not to mention, the CDC is not a regulatory agency.

As an ex smoker, I thank you very much for taking your smoking elsewhere.

22 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Since we do not know under which conditions masks need to be worn, I think we should wait for those plans to finalize after which it makes sense again to discuss if someone is willing to go crusing under these conditions or not.

Lets not forget that UV light kills the virus very quickly. Outdoor venues should be safe without masks but parties of people must be at least social distancing using the 6 foot rule. No more close loungers on the pool deck. There will be limited seating if masks are not mandatory on pool decks.

Can't wait to see what the cruise lines come up with for their guidelines. Also wonder if all cruise lines will abide by the same guide lines.

1 hour ago, momofmab said:

Based on the majority of "no" answers on various mask threads on CC, my guess is they won't make mask-wearing "mandatory in all public areas" for fear that they'll be sailing mostly empty.  Purely speculative of course but I'm betting on mask wearing during embarkation, prior to screening and then lots of signage around the ship "suggesting" mask-wearing (and social distancing when possible) .  I don't think there will be any daily temp taking or testing unless someone feels ill or shows symptoms.  I just don't think people on vacation want to que up for daily screenings and will decide to stay home.  Maybe they will take your temp as you disembark and pull anyone aside with a fever but I even doubt that.

If they want to follow the same social distancing protocol as restaurants on land, they'll have to take out a lot of tables to space everything apart 6 feet - and it will be a challenge to have a dinner service for a full ship with probably half the tables, so I agree that they will likely resume sailing at 50% capacity.

In Florida, we are now at 50% capacity indoors (restaurants) up from 25% the previous week. Seems to be working well. We had flash mobs in Daytona last night between Bethune Cookman University and the beach. At least one person shot and multiple accidents. No social distancing practiced here. Same groups that did this in DeLand last weekend. People are restless. Our entertainment last night was listening to Police Scanner on cell phone app. It was interesting. All traffic was shut down on A1A and the bridges across the river to the mainland. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LXA350 said:

Since we do not know under which conditions masks need to be worn, I think we should wait for those plans to finalize after which it makes sense again to discuss if someone is willing to go crusing under these conditions or not.

Almost everything we talk about lately is speculation. Without it the boards would be dead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Can't see whether this has been addressed on here but if wearing a mask is mandatory, even only in some parts of the ship, I wonder if the option will be given to cancel a cruise and receive a refund/credit for those who don't want to sail under such conditions. There is absolutely no way I am setting foot on a ship where any wearing of masks in obligatory and would prefer not to cruise than to do so

Under the "cruise with confidence" policy it looks like you can cancel up to 48 hrs. before departure and get a full FCC. My understanding is that includes all presently booked cruises. I do not know if a date is set where by cruises booked after that date are not included.

Our expert @Ourusualbeach might be able to help.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bobal said:

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Under the "cruise with confidence" policy it looks like you can cancel up to 48 hrs. before departure and get a full FCC. My understanding is that includes all presently booked cruises. I do not know if a date is set where by cruises booked after that date are not included.

Our expert @Ourusualbeach might be able to help.

Ocean Boy is correct.  Under the CWC you can cancel and receive a FCC for 100% of your cruise if you cancel 48 hours (actually closer to 72 as it’s 2 full days before the day of departure).  This  applies To any cruise booked before Aug 1 2020 and applies to sailings through April 30, 2022

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Yeah, that too, definitely!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ocean Boy is correct.  Under the CWC you can cancel and receive a FCC for 100% of your cruise if you cancel 48 hours (actually closer to 72 as it’s 2 full days before the day of departure).  This  applies To any cruise booked before Aug 1 2020 and applies to sailings through April 30, 2022

Excellent. Thanks very much for that. My cruise is not until October so obviously things may be very different then. Hopefully the CWC offer will continue to be available.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Excellent. Thanks very much for that. My cruise is not until October so obviously things may be very different then. Hopefully the CWC offer will continue to be available.

CWC applies to all bookings created prior to Aug 1.  You are covered. 

• Thanks 1