Covid dilemma - should I risk paying for my cruise?

I'm booked to travel on Horizon with my family in August from Miami.  Right now Carnival have only cancelled up to 31st July, and the balance of my cruise payment is due next week.

The problem is I have booked flights from the UK independently for August and am worried that I might end up in the scenario where the cruise departs in August, but the USA is not still not allowing international travellers to enter.   

Would Carnival allow a refund or reschedule if the ship actually sails but the USA is still closed to tourists?   The website only ever talks about refunds for cancelled cruises hence why I'm wondering if I should lose my deposit rather than risking a loss of a signficant sum of money. 

I'm not sure my travel insurance would cover anything caused by Covid, and even claiming on insurance for missed departure/travel failures wouldn't cover the cost of the cruise.

Would appreciate your thoughts!
Thanks

You can call and ask to have you final payment date moved.  I was scheduled for July and my final payment was due in April and I called and it was moved to 30 days prior.   A week later, it was cancelled, of course!

Back in March when this all started Carnival put out a message that final payment was now due 30 days before sailing as long as the booking was made pre March 3rd.  I would call and have them move your final payment.  I will look for this message in my emails.

8 hours ago, UKFloridaLover said:

The problem is I have booked flights from the UK independently for August

Here is your problem.  penny-wise and pound-foolish.

It is a problem. But if you work on the assumption that the cruise will be cancelled then you don't want to spend any more money. You may lose your deposit and airfare.

But if Carnival cancel then you should get your money back eventually. They would surely want you to rebook for a later date with their 125% FCC offer.

Further complication is under the CDC rules presently you all need to be quarantine in US for 2 weeks before you can go on the ship. This is the CDC rules for all aliens i.e. Non US residents. Just how this quarantine is to be served is beyond me.

I myself think there is no way Carnival can cruise under the CDC No Sail rules presently.

11 hours ago, datolim said:

It is a problem. But if you work on the assumption that the cruise will be cancelled then you don't want to spend any more money. You may lose your deposit and airfare.

But if Carnival cancel then you should get your money back eventually. They would surely want you to rebook for a later date with their 125% FCC offer.

Further complication is under the CDC rules presently you all need to be quarantine in US for 2 weeks before you can go on the ship. This is the CDC rules for all aliens i.e. Non US residents. Just how this quarantine is to be served is beyond me.

I myself think there is no way Carnival can cruise under the CDC No Sail rules presently.

Also the CDC says any one returning from a cruise to the US must self quarantine for 2 weeks. 
my company I work for says it’s following CDC guide lines so I would miss 3 weeks of work. The last 2 in paid due to this being a voluntary trip. I feel your pain. Final payment is coming up June 15 and we are thinking of canceling do to not knowing what guidelines will be in effect in August 

Edited by Bases5

23 hours ago, UKFloridaLover said:

I'm booked to travel on Horizon with my family in August from Miami.  Right now Carnival have only cancelled up to 31st July, and the balance of my cruise payment is due next week.

The problem is I have booked flights from the UK independently for August and am worried that I might end up in the scenario where the cruise departs in August, but the USA is not still not allowing international travellers to enter.   

Would Carnival allow a refund or reschedule if the ship actually sails but the USA is still closed to tourists?   The website only ever talks about refunds for cancelled cruises hence why I'm wondering if I should lose my deposit rather than risking a loss of a signficant sum of money. 

I'm not sure my travel insurance would cover anything caused by Covid, and even claiming on insurance for missed departure/travel failures wouldn't cover the cost of the cruise.

Would appreciate your thoughts!
Thanks

I'd try and not pay, given the whole situation nothing is certain.   

I'd be shocked if both airfare and cruise wouldn't give you full credit and maybe with luck extract a refund.  Rumors that getting refund is very hard right now.

COVID19 is likely viewed "act of God" in the clause, very different than if you get COVID, funny how that might be.