Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sleeptastic

More Cancellations Imminent?

Recommended Posts

I’ve just been on the phone to a well know cruise TA to cancel my cruise at the end of August as my balance is due this week and we have decided that whatever the situation at the time that we won’t want to travel.  We were more than happy to accept the FCC for the deposit we had paid  but want to cancel before the balance is due as we didn’t want to commit to paying the full balance knowing that we wont be travelling regardless of the incentives if we cancel at a later stage.  As the TA balance is due a week before the ‘official’ balance due date from P&O they asked me if I wanted to wait another week to see if there are anymore announcements from P&O next week before making a final decision.  I maybe over thinking this but I’m wondering if they know something that we don’t and that another announcement from P&O is due within the next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do hope we find out about the August cruises soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting to hear about November cruises. Balance due August 8th. If they're doing them in 3 month batches then that will take them up to October 31st. 

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I mentioned this on the Cruise Refunds thread, so apologies if you are reading this twice.  

 

The announcement of mandatory 14 day quarantine renders fly cruises impractical, crew and passengers included.  This is being introduced from 8 June, reviewable every three weeks.  The current announcement says by air, train and ferry.  It does not explicitly mention cruise ships but on the basis that this form of travel was effectively banned first, that is probably just omission not deliberate, unless the to be published guidance days otherwise.  

 

You would think that this alone would force cruise companies to re-evaluate if August cruises are even potentially viable.  This might be what the TA was getting at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm waiting to hear about November cruises. Balance due August 8th. If they're doing them in 3 month batches then that will take them up to October 31st. 

Avril 


I would prefer October 30th at the latest as I am on Ventura on 31st. Iona is also due to leave for Spain on 31st on what could be her first cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand why P&O aren't announcing  anymore cancellations yet as they won't want another deluge of refunds until they've cleared the backlog that they have at the moment. However it leaves those of us with later cruises unsure of where to go from here. Our passports also expire in October so will need to be renewed for our November cruise. It's this uncertainty that's so annoying.

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Avril, On the plus side, I imagine that the Her Majesty's Passport Office will be very quiet at the moment and so you should hear back sooner and just have to pay the standard fee. 

 

Going off on a tangent slightly, there are discussions ongoing that from the end of the year (post the supposed end of transition for Brexit), you will need 6-12+ months on your passport before travel, but not confirmed yet, depending on where you travel to.  Maybe good then to get sorted in advance? 

 

Up to you of course but hope that this helps you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello, I mentioned this on the Cruise Refunds thread, so apologies if you are reading this twice.  
 
The announcement of mandatory 14 day quarantine renders fly cruises impractical, crew and passengers included.  This is being introduced from 8 June, reviewable every three weeks.  The current announcement says by air, train and ferry.  It does not explicitly mention cruise ships but on the basis that this form of travel was effectively banned first, that is probably just omission not deliberate, unless the to be published guidance days otherwise.  
 
You would think that this alone would force cruise companies to re-evaluate if August cruises are even potentially viable.  This might be what the TA was getting at?

Yep. Guess they may have been aware of the announcement that was subsequently made or were anticipating it at least. Time will tell.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Hi Avril, On the plus side, I imagine that the Her Majesty's Passport Office will be very quiet at the moment and so you should hear back sooner and just have to pay the standard fee. 

 

Going off on a tangent slightly, there are discussions ongoing that from the end of the year (post the supposed end of transition for Brexit), you will need 6-12+ months on your passport before travel, but not confirmed yet, depending on where you travel to.  Maybe good then to get sorted in advance? 

 

Up to you of course but hope that this helps you.

Thanks for the advice. I fully intend to get them renewed before August / September as I'm hoping our cruise isn't cancelled. Wishful thinking maybe. I'm just waiting for Max Spielmann to open again to get the photos done.

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Thanks for the advice. I fully intend to get them renewed before August / September as I'm hoping our cruise isn't cancelled. Wishful thinking maybe. I'm just waiting for Max Spielmann to open again to get the photos done.

Avril 


If you are renewing, do you need new photographs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pete14 said:


If you are renewing, do you need new photographs? 

Yes I think so. We did for the last one, unless it's changed now. 

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, think so too.  I needed a new picture when I renewed mine a couple of years ago, think that's standard - I just used one of the photo booths at the supermarket, about £5 or so and got it all checked at the Post Office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess would be that the next cancellation announcement will be before the end of June and as soon as the refunds are completed up to 31st July we will hear how much longer they will believe it will be before they are sailing again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Yes, think so too.  I needed a new picture when I renewed mine a couple of years ago, think that's standard - I just used one of the photo booths at the supermarket, about £5 or so and got it all checked at the Post Office.

I was considering Max Spielmann this time as it's more convenient. They take your photo, you give them your passport and they do the rest, all for £25 + passport fee. I know it can be done for less but it's worth it to me for peace of mind.

Avril 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adawn47 said:

I was considering Max Spielmann this time as it's more convenient. They take your photo, you give them your passport and they do the rest, all for £25 + passport fee. I know it can be done for less but it's worth it to me for peace of mind.

Avril 

Fair enough, I can see why it's less faff that way.  Hopefully Max (and the rest of the high street) will open again soon🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pete14 said:


If you are renewing, do you need new photographs? 

Yes, use the code you get with your photographs to renew on line. No need to send any physical photos through. Or you can take photos yourself, and attach them to your renewal form through the internet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Fair enough, I can see why it's less faff that way.  Hopefully Max (and the rest of the high street) will open again soon🙂

£25 - They are having a laugh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The photo requirements are very stringent. Had about four goes using my phone and my camera which were all rejected. So went to Max and this was rejected. Went back and this was finally accepted. They have no charge for any repeats. You get a code number for your photo to put on your application and it’s very straight forward from there. No need to pay extra for post office checking. 
Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As wowzz notes, very easy to renew online now. The process is very straightforward.
 

£25 to take your photo and stick some documents in an envelope is... interesting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BrianI said:

The photo requirements are very stringent. Had about four goes using my phone and my camera which were all rejected. So went to Max and this was rejected. Went back and this was finally accepted.


They need a photo of your face against a plain background with no shadows on either. You may need to experiment a bit to comply with the no shadows requirement but that’s it. 
 

Take your hat and sunglasses off, DON’T SMILE and you’re done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

My guess would be that the next cancellation announcement will be before the end of June and as soon as the refunds are completed up to 31st July we will hear how much longer they will believe it will be before they are sailing again. 

I love your optimism that the refunds will be completed in June or do you mean June next year🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

As wowzz notes, very easy to renew online now. The process is very straightforward.
 

£25 to take your photo and stick some documents in an envelope is... interesting 

Does anyone still even use the post for renewal these days ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Does anyone still even use the post for renewal these days ?


You have to return your old passport to be cancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:


You have to return your old passport to be cancelled. 

True - I'd forgotten about that bit. However, I was thinking more about the actual application document.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...