More Cancellations Imminent?

Sleeptastic

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I've just seen that RCI are cancelling all cruise bookings  out of America up to September 15th except for Asia cruises leaving from China. How silly is that given the new spike in cases in China?  I'm sure I read it right but ---

Avril 

A lot of the American cruises leave from Florida.

Governor Ron De Santos relaxed lockdown too much and Florida is the new epicenter of covid19 with a spike in cases.

The CDC in the US won't let them cruise until safe to do so.

Edited by grapau27

18 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Yes you're correct Avril. The CLIA (the Cruise Line International Assoc) have announced all cruises cancelled until 15th Sept, departing all North American Ports. It's not the CLIAs fault, they are governed by the CDC (Centres for Disease Control and Preventation). The CDC won't give permission for cruise ships to sale but (ironically) they have given the OK for airlines - I kid you not. Don of Don's Family Cruisers, gives quite reliable info and it's worth listening to his rant :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUWIgGgJMiM

Sorry Bertie but I could only watch some of it. I got as far as CDC and I couldn't  listen to any more. His monotonous voice is awful. He was like a record on 45 rpm that needed to be on 78. I got the gist though. It's understandable that cruises from America are cancelled until September 15th,  their covid cases are bad and rising regardless of what some want you to believe.  It's the cruises leaving China I can't understand. 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47

18 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Sorry Bertie but I could only watch some of it. I got as far as CDC and I couldn't  listen to any more. His monotonous voice is awful. He was like a record on 45 rpm that needed to be on 78. I got the gist though. It's understandable that cruises from America are cancelled until September 15th,  their covid cases are bad and rising regardless of what some want you to believe.  It's the cruises leaving China I can't understand. 

Avril 

Depending on whether you believe the reported figures, China had 26 new cases yesterday and USA had 33,388 new cases. 

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Sorry Bertie but I could only watch some of it. I got as far as CDC and I couldn't  listen to any more. His monotonous voice is awful. He was like a record on 45 rpm that needed to be on 78.

Excellent point, problem is - Cruise Lines don't have the same clout as the Airline Lobbyists  in Congress. The fact is simple, the airlines refuse to track and trace passenger contacts, on the grounds of cost, thus making it difficult for the Authorities to contain the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/business/coronavirus-airlines-contact-tracing-cdc.html

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Depending on whether you believe the reported figures, China had 26 new cases yesterday and USA had 33,388 new cases. 

I read China had 21 new cases in Beijing  (sky news) but 100 new cases in total. From 60 days with no cases to now approx 100 new cases it could be a second spike ,and let's be honest they didn't do too well containing the first one. That's why was surprised by the announcement of cruises departing from China. 

Avril 

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I read China had 21 new cases in Beijing  (sky news) but 100 new cases in total. From 60 days with no cases to now approx 100 new cases it could be a second spike ,and let's be honest they didn't do too well containing the first one. That's why was surprised by the announcement of cruises departing from China. 

Avril 

China are still claiming less than 5,000 deaths and are blaming this strain on Europe... 

The reason many cruise lines will start in China is because they will be the first to open as economy is everything. 

Andy 

33 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

China are still claiming less than 5,000 deaths and are blaming this strain on Europe... 

The reason many cruise lines will start in China is because they will be the first to open as economy is everything. 

Andy 

I think they're hoping some people have more money than sense😆

Avril 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I read that they have found the virus in sewage water as far back as December in Italy, so who knows where it came from.

According to a doctor in Wuhan who was 'silenced' they had some cases of a coronavirus  that they'd not seen before as far back as late October. I don't think we'll ever know the truth. 

Avril 

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

According to a doctor in Wuhan who was 'silenced' they had some cases of a coronavirus  that they'd not seen before as far back as late October. I don't think we'll ever know the truth. 

Avril 

There was an article in the paper last week about an analysis of satelite pics of Wuhan general hospital (shown in the article) which revealed a sudden increase in the number of cars on the car park in October last year. It was speculated that this could have been a result of Covid-19 over 3 months before China admitted its existence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8416163/Satellite-photos-hospital-car-park-China-suggests-pandemic-taking-hold-October.html

Edited by Denarius