More Cancellations Imminent?

Sleeptastic

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I would agree.  I'm not at all sure about my April 2021 booking.

Keep our fingers crossed Jean , and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the October one too but I think your not to keen now , I can understand that it is still very early to resume cruising .

21 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

Hi - I was booked on an Azura Caribbean cruise in January 2021 but we made the decision to change the cruise until the following January (2022), just transferring our deposit. We didn’t have a problem changing - all done by my travel agent but everything is sorted, with a better choice of allocated cabin. We have had to pay a couple of hundred pounds more and I didn’t get the same OBC I got when booking on our last cruise, but still a decent amount (£460). Did you try P&O direct or go through your TA?

Susan

Hi Susan

I always book through P and O,  generally get a better deal. Going to give it another go this week, and see what happens.

Maybe fed up with me asking for our refund, for March and June Cruises. Which I am happy to say they are back on my card today.

Bob

24 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

Hi Susan

I always book through P and O,  generally get a better deal. Going to give it another go this week, and see what happens.

Maybe fed up with me asking for our refund, for March and June Cruises. Which I am happy to say they are back on my card today.

Bob

Great news you got your refund. FYI only changed our cruise last week, so depending on when you last enquired things may have changed. We really couldn’t contemplate going away in January with the possibility of not having insurance to cover for Covid-19 and, if they don’t have a vaccine we can still cancel it next year and only lose £100 deposit.

Susan

• Like 1

yes that's my problem.  I would love to go on our 19 nighter to Greece in October, but just don't think there will be a vaccine by then.  Having said that, Staysure did tell me I would be covered for emergency medical and repatriation even if it was Covid caught on board, so really not sure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

Great news you got your refund. FYI only changed our cruise last week, so depending on when you last enquired things may have changed. We really couldn’t contemplate going away in January with the possibility of not having insurance to cover for Covid-19 and, if they don’t have a vaccine we can still cancel it next year and only lose £100 deposit.

Susan

Hi Susan

Let's hope things will be different next year, but same has you we would cancel.

We have never been to the Caribbean, thought we would give it a go.

Rang P and O today, totally different experience to last week, so all booked now for January 2022. 

Bob

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

yes that's my problem.  I would love to go on our 19 nighter to Greece in October, but just don't think there will be a vaccine by then.  Having said that, Staysure did tell me I would be covered for emergency medical and repatriation even if it was Covid caught on board, so really not sure.

Same company as us and same answer. Just not covered for cancellations. Oh well, I'll just join the refunds queue again next year. Emergency medical is the main thing for us. But be positive, we won't need it will we 😁

55 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

Hi Susan

Let's hope things will be different next year, but same has you we would cancel.

Rang P and O today, totally different experience to last week, so all booked now for January 2022. 

Bob

55 minutes ago, bobupandown said:

Hi Susan

Bob

Result - that’s great.  What cruise are you going on - we’re going on Azura on 21st January.  Hope that everything’s good by then AND that Azura’s had her refit!!

Susan

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Nope!  Trouble is I don't feel like paying the balance, cos I don't think cruises will be going by then, so will just take an FCC for the deposit.

If you do that and the cruise still goes AND you feel comfortable with it, you could probably rebook at a decent price, perhaps.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Nope!  Trouble is I don't feel like paying the balance, cos I don't think cruises will be going by then, so will just take an FCC for the deposit.

I am feeling exactly the same about the cruise that we have booked for 31st October.  Now that Boris is opening most retail over the next 2 weeks combined with Cummingsgate leading to  idiots who saying "he didn't follow the rules so why should we" and pictures of the crowds on beaches this weekend I am seriously worried about another outbreak leading to further cancellations.  I don't want to be trying to get money back from P&O again because their cash reserves must be horrendously low now so they will be even less inclined to give us cash refunds and will push FCCs even more.

I will make a definite decision when the final payment day comes atound.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Now that's something I hadn't considered, but got such a good deal as it is, I doubt it would be as cheap!!

I don't think it

will be Jean.  I checked to see if our November cruise was still for sale and it's up  £150pp more  than when we booked it. 

Avril 

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Cummingsgate leading to  idiots who saying "he didn't follow the rules so why should we" and pictures of the crowds on beaches this weekend

To be honest, crowds on beaches, in the open air, with ses breezes blowing is not really a problem.

The real issue is Pritti Average and her 14 day quarantine proposal. No cruise line will sail and return to the UK with that policy in place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

To be honest, crowds on beaches, in the open air, with ses breezes blowing is not really a problem.

The real issue is Pritti Average and her 14 day quarantine proposal. No cruise line will sail and return to the UK with that policy in place.

You are right that the 14 day quarantine is a big issue for those who work because it uses up a big part of their annual leave in one go. 

The problem with beaches is less but a lot of the crowds that we saw on the beaches were not socially distancing and while being outside in breezes does mitigate some if the danger but it doesn't eliminate it, personally I don't want to be near to crowds so I will simply stay away.  I feel sorry for the people living in theses beautiful places who are potentially having their risk level raised by visitors using local facilities, on the other hand I suppose people are trying to get back to their normal life.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Indeed Cummingsgate is keeping the media spotlight away from scrutinising many more things that are far more important to getting the economy back on track.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

Another way of looking at it is if you sneeze viral particles on a crowded beach in a breeze the breeze will spread the particles cloud over more people than if there was no breeze. There are two ways of surviving this disease. first be young, the younger the better, or don't catch it in the first place. One contagious person can infect dozens

17 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Another way of looking at it is if you sneeze viral particles on a crowded beach in a breeze the breeze will spread the particles cloud over more people than if there was no breeze. There are two ways of surviving this disease. first be young, the younger the better, or don't catch it in the first place. One contagious person can infect dozens

But the actual viral load that each person will get will be dramatically reduced, due to the dispersion caused by the breeze. One person sneezing into your face from 1 metre away in a shop - dangerous. One person sneezing on the beach when you are 50 metres away - no problem.

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But the actual viral load that each person will get will be dramatically reduced, due to the dispersion caused by the breeze. One person sneezing into your face from 1 metre away in a shop - dangerous. One person sneezing on the beach when you are 50 metres away - no problem.

We have just go back from a few hours at the beach. Most people following the rules. A few needed a dirty look to be reminded. Will we stay locked up ' just in case ? '. I don't think so.

Edited by zap99
Punctuation

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have just go back from a few hours at the beach. Most people following the rules. A few needed a dirty look to be reminded. Will we stay locked up ' just in case ? '. I don't think so.

Exactly - we  can't carry on with this policy of fear and terror for ever. A vaccine could be years away - if ever. Life needs to return to some sort of normality, albeit with a sense of responsibility to our fellow citizens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We went yesterday and while there was no problem with keeping 2m apart, there were many, many large family groups who clearly were not from the same household, so that part of the rule was not being adhered to.  

6 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

We went yesterday and while there was no problem with keeping 2m apart, there were many, many large family groups who clearly were not from the same household, so that part of the rule was not being adhered to.  

Being perfectly honest, when we are out and about as long as our space is not being compromised,we are not too bothered what the rest of the population are up to. We keep our space and don't infringe on other people's. If any area is silly busy, we move on .

We live on the coast in Lytham St Annes and it is definitely getting busier. Lots of families on the beach this morning, mostly keeping their distance but still taking dogs on a stretch of beach where they are not allowed in summer months. Lots of rubbish left, there is a volunteer litter collection on a Monday morning to collect after busy weekends. Expecting lots of families here this next few days 

Michelle 

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Being perfectly honest, when we are out and about as long as our space is not being compromised,we are not too bothered what the rest of the population are up to. We keep our space and don't infringe on other people's. If any area is silly busy, we move on .

But surely there are rules to follow - we are told we can only meet 1 member of our family at a time, but I guess like Cummings the rules don't apply to them.