Might Carnival require proof of Covid vaccination to sail?

18 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Super interesting, thx for posting the detailed info! I always thought the predicted strains were from India and China, so South America is a new one for me.

Flu seasons are opposite in the North and Southern hemispheres.

Those were the CDC recommendations - for an interesting read:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm

• Like 1

22 hours ago, angelsfort said:

Lord I hope not!  I refuse to get a vaccine that has been rushed into production without the proper testing period - I will wait and let all of you rush to get it first and let you guys be the "test subjects".  If after a reasonable amount of time has passed and they work out the kinks / side effects - I will consider getting it.

It will have to be an EFFECTIVE vaccine though - not like the flu shot that has a 50% or so rate. I know way too many people that have gotten their flu shots religiously and still gotten the flu (some of them VERY bad cases that required hospitalization...  so don't tell me "it made the symptoms less because they got the shot").  One of my close friends (who has always gotten her flu shot) had the flu three times in a row within a 2 month period!!  She no longer gets the shot as she no longer believes in it's effectiveness after that.

please feel free to argue with me about the flu shot - you'll be wasting your breathe though, as it won't change my opinion of it.  (I've seen statistics, I've seen many arguments in favor of it... I've also seen many against it. Confirmation Bias - anyone can look up stuff on the internet and find an article that supports their theory or way of thinking.)

Vaccines are a lot more effective than the withdrawal method 😨🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

This policy will exclude individuals that don't have current insurance coverage, can't afford insurance and can't afford the cost of the vaccine.  They still may be avid cruisers. What does the Cruise industry do then to accommodate these loyal and/or first time cruisers?   

If you can't afford a vaccine, you probably are not taking vacations on cruise ships

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, coevan said:

If you can't afford a vaccine, you probably are not taking vacations on cruise ships

Personally, that’s how I feel, but someone on here on another thread (I think) got defensive saying there are people that will save for a cruise vacation that won’t pay for health insurance, when we were discussing that health insurance is indeed available to everyone, as low income can get it with either a low or no cost. But there are people that choose to pay for vacations and not health insurance. So, there are people out there that won’t pay for a vaccine either. Some people have screwed up priorities. I love cruising and can honestly say I’m an addict, but having health insurance takes precedence. 

• Like 3

I doubt someone who could not afford to pay for a vaccine is going to book a cruise.  That's ridiculous.  If someone chooses not to get a vaccine, that's one thing.  But if someone truly cannot afford a vaccine and does not feel like enrolling in their state's plan to get the vaccine, then that person isn't going to choose a cruise as a vacation.  I think some people just want to bring up impossible scenarios to argue.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Personally, that’s how I feel, but someone on here on another thread (I think) got defensive saying there are people that will save for a cruise vacation that won’t pay for health insurance, when we were discussing that health insurance is indeed available to everyone, as low income can get it with either a low or no cost. But there are people that choose to pay for vacations and not health insurance. So, there are people out there that won’t pay for a vaccine either. Some people have screwed up priorities. I love cruising and can honestly say I’m an addict, but having health insurance takes precedence. 

"But there are people that choose to pay for vacations and not health insurance."

I was talking about the cost of the vaccination alone, which a friend of mine got for $20

The government would be prudent in offering this vaccination for free to all, insurance or not. 

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

The government would be prudent in offering this vaccination for free to all, insurance or not. 

While I don't disagree personally, that might be a difficult position ideologically for politicians who oppose socialized medicine to support.

42 minutes ago, coevan said:

"But there are people that choose to pay for vacations and not health insurance."

I was talking about the cost of the vaccination alone, which a friend of mine got for $20

They may just do that to get this under control, but if insured, it would be covered. And nobody should have an excuse not to have health insurance, because the low income get a Cadillac policy on the backs of hard working Americans that pay through the nose. I know, as it happened to me. I’m very bitter about the whole Obamacare. So I’m definitely against socialized medicine.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I doubt someone who could not afford to pay for a vaccine is going to book a cruise.  That's ridiculous.  If someone chooses not to get a vaccine, that's one thing.  But if someone truly cannot afford a vaccine and does not feel like enrolling in their state's plan to get the vaccine, then that person isn't going to choose a cruise as a vacation.  I think some people just want to bring up impossible scenarios to argue.

Exactly

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

They may just do that to get this under control, but if insured, it would be covered. And nobody should have an excuse not to have health insurance, because the low income get a Cadillac policy on the backs of hard working Americans that pay through the nose. I know, as it happened to me. I’m very bitter about the whole Obamacare. So I’m definitely against socialized medicine.

I don't think your post could get much more offensive. What do you think of medicare?

Edited by BlerkOne
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think your post could get much more offensive. What do you think of medicare?

Medicare is insurance that I paid into my whole career for my retirement. Perhaps you’re thinking of Medicaid? That’s the insurance for the poor. And income levels need to be very low to receive Medicaid. My problem was with Obamacare. I shelled out big bucks for a crappy policy so that it paid for someone with low income to get a Cadillac policy. I’m sorry if that’s offensive to you, but I’m still bitter about it. I earned my Medicare. There is a difference. And I’m sure you figured out my feelings about Medicare for all. I do not support socialized medicine, and that’s what it would be. Somebody has to pay for it. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Medicare is insurance that I paid into my whole career for my retirement. Perhaps you’re thinking of Medicaid? That’s the insurance for the poor. And income levels need to be very low to receive Medicaid. My problem was with Obamacare. I shelled out big bucks for a crappy policy so that it paid for someone with low income to get a Cadillac policy. I’m sorry if that’s offensive to you, but I’m still bitter about it. I earned my Medicare. There is a difference. And I’m sure you figured out my feelings about Medicare for all. I do not support socialized medicine, and that’s what it would be. Somebody has to pay for it. 

I'm quite aware of what Medicaid is. And how moronic it would be to not protect all the people. 50 million died during the 1918 Pandemic.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

On this Memorial Day, you want to talk about "socialized" medicine. The biggest social/Government medical care system in the nation is the VA Medical system which we all pay into with our tax dollars.

I'm glad that I fought for your rights to express yourself. But, frankly my dear,,,,,

Honestly, I was with you on a lot of things, then you chose to get political,,, and in my opinion, at the expense of those who gave all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

This policy will exclude individuals that don't have current insurance coverage, can't afford insurance and can't afford the cost of the vaccine.  They still may be avid cruisers. What does the Cruise industry do then to accommodate these loyal and/or first time cruisers?   

They could require passengers to purchase medical insurance that could cover the cost of the vaccine along with medical evacuations since the US government has said that the cruiselines must come up with a plan for evacuations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ccd228 said:

No why would that be a requirement to cruise.  What's next the airlines require it? 

Who would pay for evacuations off the ship if they can't use the US coast guard? Call it travel insurance but they still need something to offset the costs for COVID or anything else since not all regular medical insurance covers international travel.

Vaccines won't be available for general public until sometime in 2021, probably around this time of year.  While they are making good progress in developing a vaccine, it takes time to test and analyze it's effectiveness then to produce enough to cover the general population.

On 5/25/2020 at 12:08 PM, ray98 said:

I am not here to argue with you, just pointing out your factual errors when comparing vaccinations.  A vaccine can be 100% effective if you are facing a single virus such as Polio.  Influenza is not a virus but a family of viruses, there are simple dozens of strains.  The yearly flu shot is based on a prediction of what strains will spread that season.

well, considering I didn't include anything "factual" in my post - only my own personal opinions...

and I stated that a vaccine would have to be more effective than the current flu vaccine.  If it's 100% effective, I'll get it without question once it's PROVEN to be so.  (it wasn't necessarily a "comparison" just an example of what I don't consider to be effective enough for me - FOR ME, not you or anyone else reading this post.  For me.)

And this next comment is not directed at you, but I'm not an "anti-vaxxer" just because I don't get the flu shot...  I've gotten all of my other vaccines, my children were all vaccinated... hell, even my PETS get their vaccinations too.  

it cracks me up that people are accusing others of being "anti-vaxx" because they don't want the flu shot and are saying they won't get this new shot right away either.  Those of you throwing that accusation around apparently don't know what a real "anti-vaxxer" is...

They don't require any vaccines to cruise, can't imagine that would change now. 

Too many logistics. Cost as well as availability. When and if a vaccine is found, it isn't going to be passed out to everyone worldwide in a 24 hour period. It wouldn't be right to refuse boarding to someone because the vaccine wasn't yet available in their country. 

I'm 74 now and I seem to recall that when I went to Europe when I was in college, you needed to have the smallpox vaccination. I think you needed it to re-enter the USA. Once a vaccine baecomes widely available, I would not be surprised to see a bunch of countries having a similar requirement for current Covid 19 vaccinations.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, virginiab said:

I'm 74 now and I seem to recall that when I went to Europe when I was in college, you needed to have the smallpox vaccination. I think you needed it to re-enter the USA. Once a vaccine baecomes widely available, I would not be surprised to see a bunch of countries having a similar requirement for current Covid 19 vaccinations.

There are probably different  strains of COVID-19 out there just like there are different strains of the flu. If you get the COVID-9 in the U.S you may  have an immunization card . So you are correct , most immunizations are needed to get back in to the U, S if there is a outbreak in a  foreign country, Some diseases once you get it you are immune, like measles.    

2 hours ago, Julienatul said:

I just read an article about Bahamas requiring testing before you can enter their country. I wonder if ports will require it to enter their country. 

I can't imagine it.  You'd need a reliable test that can be administered quickly, a lab on site, and results within 15 minutes.  It looks like too much effort (and possibly cost) for a day stop.

• Like 1