Might Carnival require proof of Covid vaccination to sail?

On 5/22/2020 at 4:18 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

It'll blow over assuming the vast majority of people get vaccinated. Which they probably will.

Or maybe my guess is widely off base:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-vaccine-half-americans-would-get/

(Link summary: Only half of Americans say they would get a coronavirus vaccination)

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

This is absolutely NOT true. It depends on where the cruise is visiting. 

I am not aware of ANY destination in ANY of Carnival's itineraries, fleetwide, sailing from the U.S. that requires proof of vaccinations. Are there any?  That wasn't wordered well was it? :classic_laugh:  :classic_huh:

To put it another way, what country does Carnival visit( that originates from the U.S) that requires proof of vaccinations?

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I am not aware of ANY destination in ANY of Carnival's itineraries, fleetwide, sailing from the U.S. that requires proof of vaccinations. Are there any?  That wasn't wordered well was it? :classic_laugh:  :classic_huh:

To put it another way, what country does Carnival visit( that originates from the U.S) that requires proof of vaccinations?

Trick question? Carnival isn't cruising now.

Carnival Splendor has sailed around South America a couple of times.

For general vaccine information

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=4652

It seems most cruise line say it is up to the cruiser to determine. For example:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-vaccines-are-required-to-travel-on-a-cruise

13 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I just read an article , I believe on Bloomberg News that a study was done and 50% of people would not get the Covid-19 vaccine if available. Amazing, here we are all anxiously awaiting one and half the people out there will not take. Now that’s the advantage of overseas countries, they mandate it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe the article I saw said 50% would get the vaccine and 30% were undecided. 20% were saying no. I imagine the numbers are fluid depending on the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine.

• Like 1

The percentages for the COVID vaccine might be comparable to the yearly flu vaccine.  Here is a CDC posting:

www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/coverage-1819...

Sep 26, 2019 · It is reassuring that the increase in BRFSS estimates for the 2018–19 season are consistent with other sources: projected coverage for 2018–19 from NHIS indicates a possible increase compared to prior seasons for adults and coverage estimates for flu vaccinations received through mid-November from the National Internet Flu Survey showed a 6.4 percentage point increase from the 2017–18 season (38.6%) to the 2018–19 season (44.9%).

23 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I believe the article I saw said 50% would get the vaccine and 30% were undecided. 20% were saying no. I imagine the numbers are fluid depending on the effectiveness and safety of the vaccine.

Hopefully, it will at least give us some protection. I know that even if I get influenza after receiving the immunization in the Fall, it will be less severe than if I had never received the immunization. It does offer some protection. I caught influenza on debarkation day on a cruise in 2018 after receiving the shot in the Fall, but I’d bet I would have been sicker if I had never gotten it. I now get the extra strength one for seniors, and have good luck with that. Praying the vaccine for COVID offers good protection.

• Like 2

Well Europe are starting to open borders to other Europeans with Italy first on 3rd June and Spain last on 1st July and none of them have mentioned anything about any vaccine as there isn't one anyway. TOurism makes up a large part of GDP for Greece, Spain, Italy, Malta and some others so they are keen to get country up & running.

doubdful they will allow non Europeans in until later in summer.

I sure hope so as we have Swiss air tickets for 7/14 and at this point they are not budging. We really do not want to go Europe yet and hope they will let us reschedule. If Swiss air cancels we will be in much better shape

There has never been a successful vaccine for a human coronavirus. Not SARS, MERS, or the common freaking cold. If one were to magically develop, it would likely have the same efficacy rate of flu vaccines (under 40%). So what would be the point of requiring passengers to be vaccinated? 

• Like 3

On 5/24/2020 at 3:30 PM, coevan said:

OTOH I get flu shots every year and have not had the flu in 5 years, might be lucky

OTOH, I haven’t had a flu shot in decades and haven’t had the flu in that time either (even when my husband had a diagnosed case). 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

I've never had the flu, but still get the flu shot every year.  It's common sense to me to get a vaccination to protect myself from viruses.  If a seatbelt protected me in only 40% of accidents, I would still wear a seat belt.  It's up to each person to protect themselves in the way they see fit.  People die from the flu every year and I wonder how many of those people didn't believe in flu shots.  Their decision though.  It makes no difference to me.  I believe strongly in personal responsibility and won't depend on other people to keep me healthy.

If a covid-19 vaccine becomes available, I will get it too and just add it the the list of vaccinations I previously got like annual flu shots, shingles shots, and Hep A. If the cruise lines ever require the vaccination, which I do not think they ever will, I will have no issue with it.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StillPooh said:

So what would be the point of requiring passengers to be vaccinated? 

For the same reason healthcare workers and those who work in the healthcare field are required to get their annual flu shots.

40% effective is better than none. Nothing is 100%. Medroxyprogesterone is a better option than withdrawal method.

Even abstinence isn't 100% effective. Ask Mary.

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

People die from the flu every year and I wonder how many of those people didn't believe in flu shots.  Their decision though. 

there are also people that die from the flu that DID get their flu shots...   and that certainly wasn't their decision!

as I said in an earlier post, I have a friend who has gotten the flu shot every year and she ended up getting the flu multiple times in a relatively short period of time, one of those times required hospitalization because it was so severe.  She was just lucky enough to live in an area with a flu strain that wasn't protected by that years shot...    she no longer gets the flu shot every year because she doesn't believe in their effectiveness.

I'm one of the people who gets the flu shot every year and STILL get the flu about half the time. And not just a mild case, but the kind that makes you feel like you've been run over by a bus. If (big if) they manage to come up with a vaccine for COVID-19, I doubt I will get it for the first couple of years, just to see if there are any significant side effects and give them time to work the kinks out.  

• Like 1

When I went to my new doctor at the end of last year, she talked about the flu shot and mentioned that you can't get the flu from the shot.  I told her I knew that.  But the fact that she even had to say it was surprising. It's not a live virus in the shot.  Anyway,  I think it's up to each person to make that decision.  It's an added layer of protection.  I like to travel a lot, so it's a no brainer for me personally.

9 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

When I went to my new doctor at the end of last year, she talked about the flu shot and mentioned that you can't get the flu from the shot.  I told her I knew that.  But the fact that she even had to say it was surprising. It's not a live virus in the shot.  Anyway,  I think it's up to each person to make that decision.  It's an added layer of protection.  I like to travel a lot, so it's a no brainer for me personally.

I think she told you that because it is surprising just how many people are adamant that they have gotten the flu from the shot. It is impossible. I know there are many that think they can, but they are wrong. And no matter how many times we health professionals tell them this, they will believe what they want to believe. Bravo to you for being so health conscious and to protect yourself. Because even though a flu shot is not 100% effective in preventing you from catching the flu, it lessens the severity of influenza, and possibly saving your life. Thousands do die every year from influenza. And that is why that I will gladly be in line for that first COVID-19 vaccine. Because even some protection, is better than none, and with hope against hope, it will protect us entirely.

Edited by grandmarnnurse
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

The majority of people aren't even smart enough to realize the flu isn't some singular virus, it is a family of viruses.  The flu shot is the experts best guess as to what strains will spread during flu season.  Sometimes they do pretty good, sometimes they miss the mark but it always is somewhat effective.

That is why you hear "I got a flu shot and still got the flu" followed by some illogical reasoning and projections.

• Like 1

Iceland has just announced a protocol for tourism re-start:

Prime Minister KatrÍn Jakobsdóttir announced this week that the country would begin allowing tourists to enter as early as June 15. Additionally, each visitor will be given a COVID-19 test upon arrival, results of which are processed immediately. Those who test negative will be free to enter, while infected tourists will be required to self-isolate for 14 days, at their own cost.

In an official statement, Jakobsdóttir explained Iceland would loosen travel restrictions “no later than June 15 2020, while from May 15, some professionals arriving in Iceland — including scientists, filmmakers and athletes — will be eligible for a modified quarantine,” Lonely Planet reports.

The statement adds that those who can prove they recently tested negative may be allowed to forego the arrival exam, though exactly how to apply for said waiver was not reported.

Now can cruiselines adopt something similar?  This is a learn as we go process, and what works for a country would need to be tweaked for a cruiseline, especially for shorter vacations. I imagine the lack of recent proof of negativity would then require an instant test, and those who test positive, {even false positives} would be denied boarding.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Now can cruiselines adopt something similar?  This is a learn as we go process, and what works for a country would need to be tweaked for a cruiseline, especially for shorter vacations. I imagine the lack of recent proof of negativity would then require an instant test, and those who test positive, {even false positives} would be denied boarding.

I think it is definitely something the cruise lines should consider.  Maybe people can show proof of antibodies to avoid the test and all others will get the rapid test.  I would have no problem with that and actually that would make me more eager to start cruising again.  Test everyone.